La Mesa, NEW MEXICO

Most Recent La Mesa Camping Reviews
Chihuahan desert mountains and trails

My son and I camped in the Tom Mays Unit of the Franklin Mountains State Park over Labor Day weekend 2013. We hiked up to Aztec Cave and then scrambled above it for a beautiful view of west El Paso and beyond. Lots of other trails. There were plenty of sites and I wondered why there weren’t more campers in a county with 830,000 people, not including Juarez. We were new to El Paso then and I don’t remember a lot of heat and sun. It seemed pleasant enough though I might be scared of the heat nowadays at that time of year. Good times.

Lonely desert

Gap Tank is located in the gap between Mt. Riley and the E. Potrillo Mountain ridge in the Desert Peaks National Monument on BLM land in the Chihuahuan Desert. Very few people out there. Very primitive. No campground. Little to no shade. I’ve camped here twice in my truck bed—once in 2017 when I climbed Mt. Riley and once in 2020. Close to Mexican border but I didn’t have any problems. Probably not conducive to RVs because difficult to pull off county road.

Beautiful campground

Amazing place. Wicked hike right at the campsite. 6 stars

Developed Campsite / Beautiful Location

I spent a night here while passing though, and while the campsite is very developed (facilities, lots of paved roads/areas), it’s in a beautiful location a good distance from populated areas.

Had a quiet nite

One night quick in and out, makes this park and motel handy.

Great Stop When Passing Through

We stopped at this KOA for one night while passing through New Mexico.   We had a great view of the valley below and our site had everything we needed--full hookups. We were pretty close to others but that's not unusual for a KOA. Nothing wrong with this place but not a luxurious campground.

Practically in Las Cruces’ backyard!

Loved this spot! Campsites were a little closer than ideal, but still gave us privacy. Vault toilets were fairly clean, no running water available. Nice concrete pad with picnic table and shade, and plenty of hiking around the area! Definitely take the time to hike to the old Boyd’s Sanatorium nearby! Plenty of interesting history to learn.

Other than the view...

Dont have high expections for this place. It was tough to camp in a tent. Staff underestimated the walk-in, which was hard - mostly because of uphill, but also because of unstable and uneven rocks. No showers, of course, because you are in desert’s territory. This place isn’t good for tent camping because it is camping on rock, and you cant stake your tent into rock. Heads up! We used rocks inside our tent, at the corners, to hold it down against the winds. This is a better place for RVs and the like.

Great Military Friendly RV Park

Sites are fairly close. Wifi is good throughout the park, pet amenities need work but for being so close to the interstate it is exceptionally quiet. Manager is nice and accommodating. On site repair facility with accessories if needed.

Beautiful campground