Chupadero , NEW MEXICO

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Chupadero Camping Reviews
Camping MUST book online

The lake is gorgeous but despite what the board says on entry don't pay the camping fee! The ranger will kick you out for not reserving online… part of the new process that they've not informed anyone of. The board says camping is $10/night. Online, only option was $18…$4 extra included for "admin costs". You also don't get your money back if you did pay at the park… Rangers were super unhelpful and rude. Just a note, there's no cell service for 25mins drive..

Nice State Park

Fenton Lake is usually busy and reserving months ahead of time is a good idea. We like spots number 1 and 17 for tent camping. Rangers patrol the campgrounds and in general people are usually well behaved. Nice hikes along the creek. Getting a fishing spot may be hard to find sometimes as the small lake is usually circled with people fishing. Fishing is usually good though as it is well stocked. Temperatures at night can get down in the low forties after being in the eighties during the day.

Not last minute late night camp spot friendly

They lock the site up after closing time…only a spike strip exit is open for campers. Wish we would have known before the long, narrow and curvy road 12 miles up the mountain. Fun drive but not when you just need a last minute place to crash for the night.

Not open until March. Save the trip.

We decided to rent a van and take a 10 day trip and just keep hitting dead ends but that makes half the adventure doesnt it?? A cold front came thru and we wanted a campsite last minute with electric to run our space heater in the van, but this location was closed even though it came up on the list available. Just wanted to give y'all a heads up before you drive circles like we did! Cheers!

One of our favorites in NM!

Great campground but be aware it is ALL first come access.  Most of the campsites will fit a tent or smaller camper, there are 50+ sites, but only a handful that will fit a large 5th wheel or Class A size.  Most of the larger sites are on Coyote loop which is closed in winter.  We stayed on Ebert Loop in site 10 which fit our 24' camper.

Most of the campsites are nicely spread out and lots of trees.  Very quiet and peaceful.

Hiking trails right from the campground, too.

Dish washing station at bathrooms is awesome.

No showers.

Flush toilets and sinks for brushing teeth in morning which we appreciate.

We were just there in Feb and it was only 1/4 full…. but from Spring-Fall it will be full most nights so get there early.

Great Stop

Perfect little campground to check out Bandelier Monument. Sites were well spaced and had a decent amount of privacy. We visited during the end of January and the camp was pretty empty.

Nice fire pits, $1.00 per log.

One of my favorite spots in NM

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS :) beautiful scenery and very clean! i liked the set up of the camp ground, very spacious but still felt like a nice community. 10/10 must see.

Beautiful lake! Maintained spot

Spot is well maintained. Usually lots of others around so not super “off grid” but it’s nice and you can view the lake! Beautiful to drive around too. Pueblo land, be respectful!

Nice, Clean and Close to Town

Stayed early January so place was less than half full. Average space between sites, you’re not packed in with no space for slide outs which is good and each spot has picnic table

Bathrooms are dated but cleaned daily. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Overall the place could use a few upgrades but it’s a quality location and I would stay here again

Empty in winter!

I arrived after dark on December 28th, and at first missed the turn off for the camping, but using the map here on the Dyrt, could see where I went wrong.

Google gets you there, as soon as you cross the cattle stile into the park, take your first left which comes very quickly. Dispersed camping is on both sides of this road. If you go a little further, you’ll see the vault toilets on the right (I couldn’t find these until the morning).

It was completely deserted, except for one RV (I am sleeping in my car). In the morning I discovered a car which looks like someone may be living in the park, but saw no signs of anyone.

It is beautiful! I woke up to an inch of snow! One downside- it’s right next to a landfill. There was no smell, but I could hear all of the equipment in the morning.

Easy to find, clean, safe (I’m a solo woman). I’d stay here again!