Bridger, MONTANA

Most Recent Bridger Camping Reviews
Donation based camping right on the Yellowstone River

Right next to Yellowstone River and in the town of Columbus is a free campground. There are a lot of sites that are well spread out. If the front is full, follow the road next to the golf course and there are more. We camped right next to the restrooms so it wasn’t the quiet spot. However it was the only one left with shade- it seems pretty full today. I agree with the other reviews. This is a nice spot but it’s not exactly what we’re looking for. There are a lot of dogs(some loose) and a lot of people. Traffic noise is higher and campers arrive late and leave early. It’s a great thing that this town offers. Mosquitoes are a bit of a nuisance. The river is beautiful and the river access is all around.

If the crowd thinned out our stay would have been better. We got one of the last few sites and others filled in later.

Near the entrance is a donation post so your contribution can help this continue.

The 1st KOA

We have stayed here 2 times Both times we have had exceptional service by these people! Sites are what you would expect for a KOA We will be back

Great campground in Yellowstone National Park

Great campground in Yellowstone National Park close to castle rock falls, good tree coverage, has bathrooms and secured food storage, it also has a creek - great for fly-fishing- that leads to the falls. Enjoy the beautiful scenery while hiking down to Yellowstone river.

Makes a good homebase

I have stayed here 3 times . Nice spot for a homebase , there’s  a few hikes to go on from right by the grounds. And if you forgot something there’s a small store just a short walk away. Or maybe a yummy huckleberry ice cream cone right after a long hike. The rosebud trailhead is the kickoff for the beaten path hike so always lots of cars at thevtraihead on weekends but it isn’t too close to the campgrounds. The store sells firewood which is nice (shouldn’t be hauling firewood around anyways). No showers tho. Very basic . Water and toilets .

Nice City Park along the Yellowstone River

We spent 9 days here (8/25-9/2) to work in nearby Billings (40 miles east) before heading to Washington State. The park was quiet and clean and we had no issues with neighbors at all. This is a city park that runs on donations. A nice guy from the local government stopped by once to give us a sheet with the rules and city ordinances.

Completely dry camping, although we were able to fill our tank at the spigot on the side of the restroom building. Grass or gravel sites with fire rings and picnic tables, with a mix of back in and pull-through spaces. A lot of space for big rigs and tenters alike. Firewood was available near the dumpsters in the middle of the park.

The nearest grocery store is a few miles away in town and the laundromat was small but clean. A farmer’s market was set up in the park by the railroad tracks on Thursdays (4:00-6:30) that had everything from fresh veggies and homemade goodies, as well as blankets and jewelry and a couple food trucks.

There is no dump station in the park, but there is one at the nearby Cenex station for a $5 charge during business hours. Otherwise the folks at Mountain View RV Park on the other side of the interstate will let you dump and fill water for $5.

Full Verizon signal allowed me to work from our rig for a couple days when I didn’t need to be in Billings.

Wonderful Surprise

The wife and I were here in summer 2018 and my what a treat it was. This campsite sits in a beautiful valley. Bearbox included along with bathrooms. You can collect your own firewood. Up the road is a fantastic scenic trail. I would absolutely be here again in the future.

Wooded sites that are large near hiking and fishing

This is just down the road from a couple other campgrounds. It’s nice to have options when you don’t have reservations.

The sites are large and spread out. Some are in the sun while others have separate areas for the picnic table. Trees are around which create a nice wooded setting. A water hand pump and clean vault toilets can be found.

The Greenough trailhead is at the end of the campground. Hike or bring your fishing gear and try your luck. We saw several families heading out with their fishing rods- but we didn’t see any caught fish…. This is also just at the start of where the Beartooth Highway starts going up to the west.

We didn’t like this one as much as Parkside Campground but it’s nice having options.

Nestled along a creek at the base of the Beartooth highway

This is a beautiful campground! The Beartooth highway starts going up to the west right here. You must drive this route but plan lots of time for photos.

The campground stretches out along the Wyoming creek. Let your eyes go upwards and glimpse the mountains around you. This campground is in the valley. Large sites are well spread out and wander through the wooded area. Drive through and select the one you like and then fill out the form. Vault toilets and garbage bins are spread out too. We found quite a few open sites but many were reserved. If this one fills up there are a few more down the road.

The trailhead for the Wyoming creek trail is at the start of camp. We saw plenty of cars parked here for day hiking. This is a great place.

Beauty in the Beartooths

This was the first Forest Service campground I came to that allowed tent camping heading northeast out of Yellowstone and Cook City(mostly due to bear activity in, appropriately enough, the Beartooth Mountains). It’s a beautiful campground that is close to the road, but most of the road noise gets drowned out by Crazy Creek as it flows past the campground on its way to the Clarks Fork River. I think the best sites are 12 and 14 as they are at the back of the loop overlooking the River valley below and looking straight back at the mountains. With the bear activity in nearby campgrounds and in Yellowstone, I went ahead and put everything in the bear box instead of my car (bears are getting good at opening cars like tin cans). I was equally excited and nervous to see the wild strawberries in full fruit all over the ground in a couple sites as well. The vault toilet was clean and the campground host let me know that since there is no water in the campground, I was welcome to fill a water bottle or two at his huge water tank (not sure if this was offered to all or just to me, so be sure to bring your own water just in case).

Hot but beautiful

High desert camping overlooking Bighorn Lake and the marina. I highly suggest you pay the extra couple bucks for a site with the covered picnic table to get some shade. Some sites have been updated with water and electric hookups, some have grills and tent pads and some don’t, but all have fire pits and picnic tables. The bathrooms have flush toilets and were very clean. If you need a shower, head into Lovell and drop a donation in the box at the City Camping Park and use the super clean showers there. I spent a long time talking with the host who’s home is just north in Montana. He had great ideas about taking the canyon boat ride (about $40 for a two hour tour), checking out Devils Canyon, or looking for bighorn sheep and Pryor Mountain wild horses (both of which I saw!).