Fires Unknown
Pets Unknown
Water Unknown
About Basin Montana Campground

Basin Campground is located 7 miles west of Red Lodge, Montana, along Forest Road 2071, which is paved all the way to the campground. The area is a popular location for hiking, backpacking and fishing. The administering organization is Gallatin Canyon Campgrounds; e-mail: gccampgrounds13@gmail.com

Recreation

Fishing is a popular activity along the West Fork of Rock Creek and at nearby Wild Bill Lake. The small lake is open to kayaking and canoeing, and an accessible fishing dock is located on the shore.

The Basin Lakes Trailhead is just across the road. Silver Run Plateau, West Fork and Timberline Lakes Trails offer access to the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness.

Mountain bikers enjoy the Ingles Creek Trail and a variety of loop trails at Silver Run. Biking is also allowed on the Basin Lakes Trail.

Facilities

The campground offers several single-family sites, three of which are accessible. Each site is equipped with a picnic table and campfire ring with grill. Accessible vault toilets and drinking water are provided. Back-in spurs are medium length.

Natural Features

The campground is situated on the banks of the West Fork of Rock Creek. The campground and the area surrounding the campground were burned by the Cascade Fire in 2008, leaving an open landscape abounding with wildflowers.

Nearby Attractions

The charming town of Red Lodge, Montana offers a variety of dining and lodging options, galleries, shops and summer events. The Home of Champions Rodeo is held on Fourth of July weekend, Beartooth Bike Rally and Iron Horse Rodeo in mid-July, Mountain Man Rendezvous in late July and the Festival of Nations in early August.

The Beartooth Highway was deemed "the most beautiful drive in America" by the late Charles Kuralt. It snakes across the rugged Beartooth Mountains from Red Lodge to Cooke City, Montana, and is the highest elevation highway in the Northern Rockies. Along the way, visitors are treated to sweeping views and plentiful outdoor recreation opportunities.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Fee Info
Two non-towed vehicles may be parked per site. The first vehicle is included in the basic fee; the second vehicle is charged an extra $9.00 collected at the campground. Firewood bundles can be purchased from the campground host.
Price
$18.00
National Forest
Basin Montana Campground is located in Montana
Directions
From US Hwy 212 (Beartooth Scenic Byway), travel to the south end of Red Lodge, MT. Turn west on West Fork Rock Creek Road (Forest Road 2071), and proceed approximately 7 miles to the campground entrance on the right.
10 Reviews of Basin Montana Campground
Beautiful scenery with access to great hikes!

We used this as a base camp for heading up to Lower and Upper Timberline Lakes last year and were delighted by the quality of the sites.  While staying here it's also a good idea to head up and over Beartooth Pass if you haven't already by going to Yellowstone!

Was clean

Was very clean when I visited last summer a little congested tho.

Gorgeous!!

Montana is one of my favorite places to visit. The amount of outdoor activities is incredible. We try to visit Montana once a year, and it’s obky because we love being surrounded by the mountains and hiking. Basin Montana Campground doesn’t disappoint. Here are some things I like:

1. Big spacious spaces

2. Close to hiking- beautiful hikes nearby that are hard to beat! Views are gorgeous!

3. Lots of campground spaces- with picnic tables and fire rings. Bring your own wood!

4. Close to some great restaurants.

If going in the summer time I would recommend reserving your spot ahead of time. This is important! They save your spot with a tag so no one else can take it. If you walk up you probably won’t grt a spot. Can’t wait to come back!

One of my favorites

Montana offers so many outdoor activities, and I love that mountains surround you everywhere you go. This campground is smack dab in the middle of heaven. Green trees and mountains surround you everywhere you look. This campground is definitely one of my favorites because it is so clean, and the scenery is beautiful. There is a bathroom on site, picnic tables, and fire ring (at your campsite). My family and I really enjoy making smores at night, sitting around the fire and laughing. The campsites are a decent size, but pretty generic. We spend most of our day hiking around the mountains, and finding new trails to explore. There is a lake nearby that we went to and cooled off. We saw people kayaking, swimming and fishing here. The lake was pretty busy, but still fun. The hiking here is amazing. Highly recommend finding a trail that suits your needs and abilities. One morning we got up and did a sunrise hike- probably my favorite thing we did while staying here. I can't remember the name of the hike, but it was about 5 miles roundtrip and not too bad of elevation gain. Recommend getting groceries and food ahead of time, because it is about a 15 minute drive to the store (which isn't really bad, honestly).

Gorgeous!

This was such a beautiful spot to camp. You see the mountains all around you, which is perfect!! This campground was awesome. The one thing I really liked about this place was that the camp sites were pretty big. It was summertime when we came and it was super busy. We had to reserve our spot ahead of time, otherwise we wouldn’t have received a spot. Even the “walk-in” spots were all taken. Recommend reserving ahead of time in the summer. It was hot, but we made it work. Tons of bugs because it’s close to a river. Bring your bug spray! We enjoyed hanging out hammocks and relaxing by the fire. It was easy to find, and right off the road. We could hear road traffic at night, but it wasn’t too bad. Our campsite was away from the road. We hiked in the mornings, and hung by the water in the evenings! Loved it :)

Very cool!

Merrywidow health mine is pretty awesome, the spot looks like it has a lot of history.

Fun camping, kayaking and fishing!

My wife and I were able to stay here for 3 nights. The grounds feature vault toilets, campfire rings, food storage lockers, and even a hand pump for water. There is someone who sells firewood at the camp which makes things easy on everyone. The tent site was level and large. There are some good hiking trails but they are open to mountain bikers so heads up! They may get pretty muddy. The kayaking was peaceful. I didn't catch much fishing but that's my fault not the campsites! We were on the Wild Bill Lake.

ATV Fun

This is a great area to go out and ride trails for days. The campground is really forested with water running near by. Very peaceful.

Great location for fishing

Waterfront sites right on Rock Creek. Great fishing area makes this site ideal for anglers or anyone that enjoys being right on the water with a stunning view.