Absarokee, MONTANA
Most Recent Absarokee Camping Reviews
Good location for a KOA

Is a good spot to set up if you're looking to explore Red Lodge or the Beartooth Mountains. Nothing fancy but has more amenities than most tent sites

Amazing views of the glacier carved valley!

This is a great spot to stay for a while or to use as a base camp for setting off to some of the higher backcountry lakes. Be bear aware at all times and keep your food stored in a bear can or high and away from trees. Stopping here for a night is also a great idea if you're headed towards Yellowstone

Nice little spot but just head further into the mountains!

Nice little spot with motel rooms and some tent spots. You're already at the foot hills might as well head up into the beartooths! Is a good place to stay if you dont want to Airbnb or stay at one of the lodges.

One of the better KOA locations

This KOA sits right along the Yellowstone River along the eastern outskirts of Billings. It has all the regular KOA amenities and a beautiful view of a cliff to the north where native americans drove bison off. Bring big spray duri g the spring and summer as bugs can be horrific!

Was clean

Was very clean when I visited last summer a little congested tho.

Nice

We used it as a base for Yellowstone. Beartooth hwy was undescribable! Amazing views. Close to Red lodge. It's not perfect by no means but felt safe. Word of advice though, don't try and do everything in Yellowstone from one Basecamp. Spend more time traveling than anything else. I knew Yellowstone was big but damn!

Neat Place

The original KOA. This place is well kept, and staff was very friendly. Our site was pretty far from the restrooms/showers/office/store, but that was made up for by the spaciousness of the site, a picnic table, and access to potable water at the site, even though that was not included in our site description when booking. You can also hear the Yellowstone River flowing behind the site, which was nice to fall asleep to. In the mornings, they offer a pancake breakfast. In the evenings, there is an ice cream social where you can meet other campers, swap stories, share experiences, etc.

Loved it!

Loved everything about this place, and would definitely come back and visit. Here are some things we really enjoyed:

1. Campground was easy to locate- I hate when we are traveling from out of town and trying to find a spot and there are no signs. This place was well marked, and actually the GPS took us right here.
  2. Nice rangers- they helped us find our spot and also told us some great things to do nearby! There is a lake close by and they told us how to get there. Also told us some great hiking spots, which is why we came in the first place.
  3. Clean- The bathrooms and campground were clean. There was actually TP in the bathroom too!! Shocker!! Dumpsters on site as well.
  4. Great hiking!!! Look up hikes and GOOOOO!!!
  5. Campsites are "bigger" which was really like because we didn't feel squished.
Beautiful spot, great hiking

Being from Montana, I love finding new campsites that I haven't stayed and doing hikes I've never done. This place was great. The campground was decently sized, very easy to find, and clean. The campground is right off the highway, down a gravel path a few miles. The road is driveable and in great condition. The rangers are super helpful and nice. They directed us to our campsite, and also helped us figure out what hikes to do in the area. The campsites are normal- they have a fire pit and picnic table to use, and the size is pretty big. Each site is spaced out well, and the trees are gorgeous here! We brought our hammocks and hung them while we were hanging out. The hiking nearby is great! Wish I could remember the names of the hikes- Bear Creek might be one of them? Not sure. Anyways, you can look hikes up on All Trails, or ask the ranger! Bring water- there is no place to fill up your water bottles for hiking. We stopped by a store on our way there and loaded up on snacks and goodies. We saw some deer, as well as lots of chipmunks on our stay! The deer were amazing- we saw a huge herd of them one evening! Wish I would have recorded it. Beautiful place, and would definitely come back and recommend.

Great hiking

Trips to Montana are my favorite, especially if it has to do with hiking. We chose this campground because it was close to some hikes we wanted to do. Although the hiking was great, we didn’t really enjoy the campground. It was close to the road so you could hear every car and semi drive by. It was loud. Also, the campsites were so close to each other it was a little weird. Felt like we were camping with the people next to us. The bathroom also smelt terrible and didn’t seem like it was ever cleaned. I mean it was a porta potty but still, gross. Bring your own toilet paper. Hate to rag on a place, but the hiking was amazing! The views were gorgeous.

Gorgeous!!

Montana is one of my favorite places to visit. The amount of outdoor activities is incredible. We try to visit Montana once a year, and it’s obky because we love being surrounded by the mountains and hiking. Basin Montana Campground doesn’t disappoint. Here are some things I like:

1. Big spacious spaces

2. Close to hiking- beautiful hikes nearby that are hard to beat! Views are gorgeous!

3. Lots of campground spaces- with picnic tables and fire rings. Bring your own wood!

4. Close to some great restaurants.

If going in the summer time I would recommend reserving your spot ahead of time. This is important! They save your spot with a tag so no one else can take it. If you walk up you probably won’t grt a spot. Can’t wait to come back!

Exceptional Forest Service Campground

I stayed in space 11 which was amazing for a car and it was a perfect location to listen to the stream and waterfall. There was a couple next to me playing the fiddle and banjo until about 8pm. BEST NIGHT EVER!!!

The bear containers are clean the firepit was clean and this space could really use a level tent location but otherwise fantastic. Go fish the stream and walk around and look over the back hillside at the horses. Be Bear Aware, they are in the area but none were seen in camp this year.

Most amazing views

6 mile hike to the overview of the dam is well worth the whole experience!

Great little park with a beautiful lake!

It lacks trees at most campsites, but that’s ok…it’s easy to get in and out of, the sites are level and every one has a view of the lake.

Its clean, sites are generous (i.e….not on top of each other)

The lake is easy to access by power boat or kayak. I would go back in a minute.

Cell phone service was lacking…it sits down in a valley but then again, I camp to get away from that.

the public toilets are clean and well stocked.

we took the back roads there…they were flat and so well groomed!

There were lots of families there…great place to turn your kids loose and not worry about them

One of my favorites

Montana offers so many outdoor activities, and I love that mountains surround you everywhere you go. This campground is smack dab in the middle of heaven. Green trees and mountains surround you everywhere you look. This campground is definitely one of my favorites because it is so clean, and the scenery is beautiful. There is a bathroom on site, picnic tables, and fire ring (at your campsite). My family and I really enjoy making smores at night, sitting around the fire and laughing. The campsites are a decent size, but pretty generic. We spend most of our day hiking around the mountains, and finding new trails to explore. There is a lake nearby that we went to and cooled off. We saw people kayaking, swimming and fishing here. The lake was pretty busy, but still fun. The hiking here is amazing. Highly recommend finding a trail that suits your needs and abilities. One morning we got up and did a sunrise hike- probably my favorite thing we did while staying here. I can't remember the name of the hike, but it was about 5 miles roundtrip and not too bad of elevation gain. Recommend getting groceries and food ahead of time, because it is about a 15 minute drive to the store (which isn't really bad, honestly).

No better way to beat the city heat

Great for family gatherings and outings - but make reservations early to make sure you can all get campspots next to each other or at least close.

Nice long pull through. Big grassy areas between stalls.

Grear trees, shade, tables, grass, pet area, nice staff. Close to hwy but we will return

Welcome rest after driving across North Dakota and eastern Montana

I usually avoid KOA campgrounds. They're not really my style. However, after driving I-94 from the east, we welcomed the added comforts of a KOA.

July 2018: First ever KOA

Maybe we haven’t been around enough, but I loved this place in the Big Sky Country. Huge lot, stamped concrete patio, nice table with umbrella and a porch swing made this feel inviting. They had a camp restaurant with made to order meals and lots of family activities. Only sad thing is we only stayed one night, lol. Will definitely book a lot longer visit.

Right on Rock Creek!

Up close and personal with the raging creek for fly fishing, and short distance to greenough lake for spin casting! Such a great area!!

Perfect for families with kids

Safe and clean sites with lots of fun things for the kids! Pool is great with showers close by. Super fun campground to explore!

Well maintained, fun, and safe with tons of amenities and friendly staff!

There is so much good to say about this campground. They have so many fun things to do! Mini golf, arcade, playground, bonfire pit, basketball court, bikes to rent, pool & hot tub, plus the whole campground borders the Yellowstone River! We caught so many frogs, not to mention fish! The staff is awesome, especially when they open their outdoor restaurant for meals. There are peacocks that roam the grounds, and they are awesome. Amenities include: showers, laundry, general store, WiFi, power outlets to all campsites, security, library, and so much more!

Stunning views of the River & Pilot Peak!

I stayed here last week for one night. I backed my van right up to the river with an amazing view of Pilot Peak in the background, and fell asleep to the sounds of the rushing water. It's an amazing spot to stay on your way into, or out of, the Beartooth Highway.

www.welovetoexplore.com

lots of spots close to creek

we had a great time. situated between emerald lake and west rosebud lake with a creek going next to half the camp spots. toilets and hand pump water.

Trees with a view

Sometimes you just want to see the mountains.

This campground is set mostly in younger pines, which doesn't provide the most shade, but does provide amazing views of the surrounding mountains. Luckily, it's high elevation Montana, so you don't often need a lot of shade :)

I think it's nice???

This seems to be a very nice campground, but I don't know for sure, because it has been closed every single time I've tried to stay there, or even driven past.

Gorgeous!

This was such a beautiful spot to camp. You see the mountains all around you, which is perfect!! This campground was awesome. The one thing I really liked about this place was that the camp sites were pretty big. It was summertime when we came and it was super busy. We had to reserve our spot ahead of time, otherwise we wouldn’t have received a spot. Even the “walk-in” spots were all taken. Recommend reserving ahead of time in the summer. It was hot, but we made it work. Tons of bugs because it’s close to a river. Bring your bug spray! We enjoyed hanging out hammocks and relaxing by the fire. It was easy to find, and right off the road. We could hear road traffic at night, but it wasn’t too bad. Our campsite was away from the road. We hiked in the mornings, and hung by the water in the evenings! Loved it :)