the dyrt
Pets Unknown
About Bowman Lake - Glacier National Park
National Park Service
Bowman Lake - Glacier National Park is located in Glacier National Park in Montana
15 Reviews of Bowman Lake - Glacier National Park
beautiful but MOSQUITOS

This campground is secluded and beautiful. The campground itself was very well maintained. At the time that we went (late May/ early June 2018) there were only a handful of other people there so it was very quiet which was awesome. I thought being from Arkansas we could handle some mosquitos but oh no the mosquitos are on a whole other level here. No amount of Off Deep Woods could save us. Definitely wish we had brought a thermacell or something like that which would probably make it a lot better. We didn’t hike in this area because of the mosquitos but there are several trails. We kayaked on the lake and it was amazing! Don’t be like us though and think you can kayak the entire thing and back unless you start EARLY when the water is smooth because otherwise you are going to struggle.. for 5 hrs🤪

Decent for car camping

The spots aren’t very private. The mosquitos are intense. The walk to the lake is 2 mins. The view at the lake is amazing. Get there early because it does fill up.

National Park campground

Be food safe. We had a black bear next to our vehicle one morning. The 6 miles dirt road out there is ROUGH. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise if you aren’t 4x4. Views are totally worth it. Not good biking or trails for dogs either. But the lake is gorgeous and if you have a kayak - it’s a blast! Glacier is competitive camping for sure but bowman seemed to fill up a little later.

Secluded and Beautiful

the bowman lake campground is about 30 - 40 minutes north of Polebridge. The road is very rough and takes a while to drive, but it is doable by most cars. The campground is at Bowman Lake, a stunning lake in Glacier National Park. The sites are big, have plenty of flat room for tents, and are on the shade. Mosquitos were terrible when we were there! But the hiking in this area is very nice and accessible. I want to go back!

Worth the journey

This place was quite the drive to get to but so worth it. The lake views are breathtaking and lots of wildlife encounters. Met a black bear on the trail there and deer were visiting our campsite all night. The ranger stationed there was very friendly and helpful.

Camping in Heaven

There is no better place to camp in Glacier than Bowman Lake. Great access to everything, usually can find a spot pretty easy, and beautiful! Cannot fail here!

Scenery? Check. Solitude? Check.

This campground is perfect. It's used primarily as a hiker's camp, but there are some car campers who venture out there. It's about an hour to hour and half of driving from Apgar Village, as there are several miles of dirt/gravel roads that require you to go slow at times. Bowman Lake is absolutely beautiful and there are several trails leading you to amazing views of the lake and surrounding mountains.

Quiet and peaceful

Every site at Glacier park was full except Bowman Lake. Got lost and turned around looking for it but once we found, it was worth the drive. Friendly camp, beautiful lake, lots of great hikes…

Beautiful, but buggy

This campground is at the end of a winding six-mile dirt road, which means that you'll be covered in dust by the time you get there, but which also means that there are no big RV rigs. It is so quiet and beautiful, but the mosquitos will about drive you nuts, and they're the reason I can't give this campground five stars. Bring bug spray (but not citronella; that attracts bears). The lake is simply stunning, especially in the early morning, when the sun comes up over the mountains. There are trailheads right next to the lake shore, with varying distances and difficulties to choose from. The campsites are clean and level, but watch out for stumps along the driveways, or you may lose a bumper. Restroom facilities are only pit toilets, but they're the cleanest and least-smelly pit toilets I've ever seen, and there is plenty of hand sanitizer inside. Potable water taps and food storage boxes are available near the toilets. We didn't see any bears, but deer frequent the campsites, sniffing around the fire pits, searching for food, and they're not scared of people. They'll come right up to your tent. It's crazy.

It really doesn't get any better than this campground!

I consider myself pretty lucky to go to college in a state where there is great outdoor activities. Bowman Lake Campground, which is located within the Glacier National Park is pretty awesome. Everywhere you look, there is something beautiful. The scenery within this campground is to die for. The storage on my camera was full by the time my friends and I left because I took pictures of everything. The trees, flowers and plants were my favorite. All my friends (and myself) have hammocks, so we always like staying in a campsite that has good trees to hang our hammocks. We were able to get a spot where there were trees really close to our campsite, so we were able to hang our hammocks while keeping warm by the fire. We also really enjoyed the lake. It was gorgeous. One of my friends has a kayak, so we took turns taking it out on the water. I got up one morning earlier than everyone else, and took the kayak on the water. The sunset was beautiful, and the lake was so calm and relaxing. One FYI to everyone….The road leading to the campground is pretty ruff, but it is manageable if you go slow. The road is pretty narrow, so just be careful of on coming cars coming down from the campground. Just go SLOW. I would also suggest to get to the campground early in the morning. They don't take reservations, and the campground isn't very big…limited spots. So if you want a good spot, or a spot at all, I would suggest getting there early in the morning. My friends and I also really loved hiking along the trails that were near the lake. There was actually a trail (not sure if it had a name?) that took us along the lake shore which was one of my favorite walks we did. I honestly can't wait to come back and stay here. I definitely will do more research on other hikes nearby because I know the views would be awesome the higher you get!!