the dyrt
Amory, MISSISSIPPI
Most Recent Amory Camping Reviews
Secluded, shady camping

We tent camped at Piney Point several times last summer. Even in the summer heat, the shade is enough to keep you comfortable. The bathhouse is close to the campsites. The regulars are welcoming, the lake is close by for swimming. We stayed here while kayaking Bear Creek. It was a nice, quiet place to relax.

Mixed Feelings

Camped & Hiked Tishomingo State Park last weekend. Beautiful fall colors and the hike was gorgeous! This place seems so out of place for Mississippi! With that being said…The campground was a disappointment. There was a handful of decent sites, but overall, it is in disrepair. The bathroom towards the back of the loop was already closed for the season. The middle bathroom only had one toilet working in the women’s and men’s restroom (we don’t have a bathroom in our Aliner popup and there were also lots of tent campers). I literally had to wait in line a couple of times to use the bathroom. Many sites were washing out under the pads and had steep drop offs on the sides (especially the single digit site #’s). The tables and fire pits (some sites didn’t even have a real pit, just a spot on the ground where there was signs of a fire) were really far away and some sites appeared to be in a soggy bottom area. We got semi lucky and had a decent spot. (Site 33). The sites that back up to the woods instead of the pond are flatter for those who find that more important. Maybe we are just spoiled to nicer state parks where they take more pride in the upkeep? Just the little details that don’t cost extra money, but instead just needs someone to do it (blowing leaves off the major roads and parking areas, cleaning graffiti, clearing massive mounds of debris, etc…) I don’t know if they are suffering from budget cuts, if someone is robbing the place blind or if the staff just works there because it’s a job but doesn’t really care about the park itself. It’s sad because this should be a premier destination spot in Mississippi! I don’t want to deter anyone from going here because the landscape is really nice. I just got worked up because I don’t understand how other parks are able to maintain, but this one seems to really be struggling with how to keep this place nice.

Needs some work

Trace State Park near Tupelo, MS. Once you get into Tupelo the signage directing you to the park is easy to find and follow.

The road in is in terrible shape, the lake is missing, the levy being worked on. They have horse, ATV and mountain bike trails which are in okay shape but could use some TLC. There are rental cabins and the store is limited to souvenir type merchandise and disc’s.

The staff at the park were very helpful and the facilities, which included a showerhouse/multipurpose room and screened porch were very well taken care of. I definitely liked the large shower stalls!

The sites are spacious, including a fire area, picnic table, electric hookup, water and sewer hook up. You have some privacy and depending on your site sparse to full shade.

There is Disc golf, fishing, and currently limited water sports.We used the multipurpose room and a nearby site that had more then enough room for all of us to sit around the fire.

Tupelo, Mississippi is nearby with Elvis’s birthplace. In addition there are several recreation areas to visit on the Natchez Trace with historical information and trails to explore.

Pleasant and affordable place to camp

We arrived just before 5pm on a Sunday at the end of October and had no problem securing a site. If you are over 65, you pay the same for a site with water and electric as you would for a primitive site ($16). Compared to other states, this was a pleasant surprise. Many sites back up to the lake and have generous sized concrete pads. Most we saw appeared level. Our picnic table was down a hill by the water so it was a hike to it but very pleasant for eating. I would imagine that at other times of the year staying here might not be so pleasant (heat and humidity plus we saw the remains of some HUGE ant hills). No fire rings but it looks like previous visitors may have built fires in the sandy area near the beach. Bathrooms were reasonably clean but they don’t have soap. I also don’t understand why there was one across from site 12 and one more not far down the road but for the last half of the loop, there weren’t any (except for one that had a closed sign and appeared to be more “rustic”). I’m guessing that people in those sites have fully equipped RVs. Good cell service for Verizon in the campground. Nice hiking trails - we liked the Outcroppings Trail. Evidence of the work of the CCC in the Park, especially the swinging bridge. Overall, a pleasant stay.

Where’s the lake ?

Ranger review: RoM Outdoors RoM Pack at Trace State Park, Tupelo, Mississippi

Campground Review: I took the scenic Natchez Trace Parkway from Tennessee down into Mississippi and exited near Tupelo to continue into Trace State Park for a camping event I was attending over the weekend. Once you get into Tupelo the signage directing you to the park is easy to find and follow.

The park itself needs some work. Recent cuts from the state have left the park in need of road work and the levy repair is taking a while to complete according to locals. Where we camped the lake was dry and full of weeds. You could tell by the shoreline that it would be possible to anchor your water craft very near your campsite in several locations once it is refilled with water.

That being said the staff at the park were very helpful and the facilities, which included a showerhouse/multipurpose room and screened porch were very well taken care of. I definitely liked the large shower stalls!

The sites are spacious, including a fire area, picnic table, electric hookup, water and sewer hook up. The spacing between sites is good too, you have some privacy and depending on your site sparse to full shade.

Disc golf, multi-use trails, fishing, currently limited water sports.

After set up our group met in the multipurpose room and then congregated to a nearby site that had more then enough room for all of us to sit around the fire.

Tupelo, Mississippi is nearby and I visited Elvis’s birthplace , “Scarlet’s Donuts”(maple bacon donuts, and tamales) and an excellent BBQ place “Clays House of Pig”. So if you like to sneak to town while camping this is a nice area for it. There are thrift and antique stores close too.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I recently received a RoM Outdoors  RoM Pack https://romoutdoors.com/ to use , abuse and review while camping. I explored one of the three main trails in Trace SP. The trails are multi-use (ie. ATV, Horse, Dirt bike, Hikers) so pay attention to the signs and be aware of the area. We hiked 4.5 miles. The first thing you will notice about the RoMPack is that it has some weight to it (4.6 lbs)even empty. This is due to the outer water resistant material and the inner, soft, insulated material. There are two detachable bags, and a smaller inner pack to carry them in when you remove them to transform your pack into……a hooded poncho or ground cover , cool idea!

So obviously this is not an overnight type backpack or something a fast packer would use. It is however a versatile option for day hikes, visits to the park or sporting events and I used it to pack my Dachshund when he was done hiking ;)

I haven’t attempted to attach a hydration bladder and decided to just place my entire hydration pack into the main area of the RoM Pack. This works in two ways. First if I don’t need the poncho/blanket I have my hydration in easy reach. Second if I do use the poncho/blanket my hydration pack fits fine under the inner pack on my back with poncho over that.

Definitely practice folding and unfolding the poncho/blanket . I had my usual dysfunction , just like with the hiking maps, I got it unfolded and user ready but then had issues putting it back into its original folded configuration. I eventually got it back together. There is a video on their site to make it easier. Just remember it will get faster with muscle memory over time.

Once again this is not a pack I would use for extended deep woods adventures. It’s great for your day hikes with the kids, concert in the park or hike into a picnic spot, would work for hunting too.

Pro’s: All in one (ie, carry pack, two secure bags, blanket/poncho, inner pack, Molle straps to add other accessories)

Water resistant outer shell

Soft warm inner lining

Durable material

Well made

Con’s: Heavy

Limited packing space( the large middle pocket is gone when you unfold it)

Not for overnight/deep woods(technically not a con, not the concept of the bag)

This will be my go to bag when adventuring with my grandkids. I would/will suggest this pack to friends with specific uses in mind. There are currently three color options and several other products to explore on the ROM Outdoors site

Peaceful and secluded

Great pad sites for RV Trailer, very private well laid out the restrooms are very clean. Reasonable cost and if you have an America the Beautiful card site is 50% off. Very little Verizon Signal if any at times. Really out of the way about 30 minutes from NTP and about 40 minutes from Tupelo.

Nice little park on the Trace

Stopped here for a night traveling through Mississippi. It is a little out of the way, but quiet. You drive down the Natches trace to get here. The sites were large enough to relax, and the neighbors were not right on top of us. Bathroom was ok, but the shower was not working when we were there. Close to Tupelo if you like Elvis.

Great campground!

The park manager and workers are so nice and accommodating! I’ve stayed in the cabins and the primitive sites and both had wonderful views of the lake. The hiking trail that loops around the water is beautiful. My dog loves it too! It’s such a great place to go relax, have fun, grill out, and make memories.

Peaceful with a water view

Quiet, well maintained Corp of Engineers camp ground.

Neat place for sure

This is a beautiful park and will definitely be worth the trip.

DeWayne Hayes

Wonderful campground! Great people taking care of it. Will be visiting a lot!

Just beautiful

This is one of the favorites of all the places we have stayed. It was beautiful and so clean. The hosts were friendly. We had an issue with the electric hookup and they had maintenance workers to is within 20 minutes. The facilities and trails are very well maintained and the sites are well spaces enough that you can have some quiet and privacy. ** PLEASE NOTE: The lake has been drained due to levee issues and some rebuild of the levee and dam. It will be empty for the foreseeable future so there is no water here. That info was not made clear when we made the reservation. ** We still enjoyed our short stay here.

Great campground for weekend visits

We camped in a pop up and really enjoyed ourselves. Most of the sites face a small pond and have a good view. The staff is very nice and have activities throughout the weekend. Some sites after small, so check before you book.

Great hiking here!

Sites are spacious, although sometimes quite unlevel. Lots of privacy. You can fish, hike,play disc golf and just enjoy the beauty all around.. Best hiking around with lots of interesting trails, some along the fast flowing creek.

Heavily wooded. Large lake for boating, fishing...

Very well kept. Frisbee golf. Ball field. Large lake. Very quiet.

unique spot

Expensive fees, but worth a visit. They protect the canyon habitat. Primitive sites, but bathroom access near the canyon entrance. Beautiful campsite at sleeping water. Great for a larger group.

Beautiful state park

Lucas and I camped and canoed. We stayed right on the water.

clean park but no lake

Apparently the main lake has been drained for now. The roads to and through the campground are a bit rough, so you may have to drIve slow. The campsites are paved and leveled. Bathhouse is clean. Full hookups at our site. Overall this was a nice campground.

Absolutely beautiful !

Small well maintained park . Swim area in the lake has a sandy bottom, and plenty of fishing. All sites have a good view of the lake and they are spaced out so you are not too close to each other. There is a great little Baptist church 1 mile from the park and the best Seafood buffet 10 miles north on Hwy 15 at Seafood Junction in Algoma. Your also 20 miles from Tupelo which has plenty of shopping.

Best State Park in MS

Around 12 miles of trails, 43 acre lake, Bear Creek flows through the middle of the park providing class 1 & 2 rapids. Canoe trips are available but I prefer kayaking further downstream. They have 3 different disc golf courses throughout the park with disc rental at the office, as well pavillions, picnic tables, grills, literally anything you could ask for.

Wonderful campground

One of my favorite campgrounds. Best to make reservations on line it fills up fast on weekends.

Peaceful

We stay at the island for a weekend of primitive camping and had a wonderful time.

The best kept secret in MS

I had never really heard about this wonderful place until it was suggested to me on a comment asking about finding the elusive Hellbender salamander. Tucked in the northeast corner of Mississippi are the foothills of the Appalachian Mountain Range. You all know how much I love mountains. So we had to go check it out. And I'm so glad we did.

The landscape is like no other you'll find in MS. The various rock formations, trails and creeks that make up the park provide numerous opportunities for exploring all aspects of this well kept secret. The park is also steeped in a rich history of the Native Americans who once walked the lands and the Civilian Conservation Corps who constructed the park. If you're into geology, the rock formations are pretty fascinating.

Whether you're a small kid or a kid trapped in an adult's body like myself, you'll find something to do here. The pictures in the link will give you an idea of what to look forward to along with a few nearby spots. My only minimal complaint was that the standard campsites were a little too close together, in my opinion. Otherwise, I was uber impressed.

Things to do:

Tent camp - Standard & Primitive

RV or Car/Truck camping

Hammock camping

Group camping & Family Cabins

Fishing, Hiking, Kayaking, Canoeing, Rock Climbing (with permit), Bike Riding, Herping, Birding, Disc Golf or just plain Relaxing

Amenities:

Power connections at all camping slots with the exception of the primitive sites

Bathroom and Shower facilities

Pavillions

Picnic tables & grills

Park office

(You can view my photos via FB on Crazy Camping Chick.)

Beautiful lake & mountain setting

We stayed at the group campsite which was located a bit of a climb up a steep hill. The view was great but finding level ground for tents was a bit interesting. The bathhouse was close, clean and stocked with tp. There were toilets and hot showers. The hiking was great with numerous trails nearby. The hikes were mostly easy terrain. Overall, this is a beautiful campground with security and gated at night.

Natchez Trace Parkway recreation area

Pretty wooded area. This is a fairly developed area along this scenic drive, with swimming, rail-to-trail biking and hiking trail, wildlife viewing, etc. The campsite is simple, open with trees, and many sites are right along the water (the rest are a tiny walk away).

Yay: simple but clean with extras like showers, piers, etc. Lots more to do nearby in the National Forest.

Nay: No complaints. The hiking trail is very short though.

Surprise: Great wildlife! Came here for bird watching. Will return to bike the Tanglefoot Trail.

Amazing park

There is a lot of history here and a lot ot learn about Native Americans, geology, plants, animals, etc. Great park for a weekend or a whole week. We mostly did hiking and canoeing, also lots of fishing. Great hiking trails for kids since there are a lot of neat geologic features, bridges, etc. to keep their attention during a hike.

Yay: This park has a lot of extras like playing fields, kayak rentals, ranger programs, educational signage (history and nature), etc. We stayed at a tent site near the little lake and it was just lovely. There are also adorable cabins to rent.

Nay: some campsites are a little crowded but nothing unusual.

Surprise: absolutely beautiful old stonework, bridge, buildings, etc. add so much to the natural scenery!

Pricey

This is a nice little spot but they nickel and dime you to death. Sites are anywhere from $27/night to $48/night. But then they also charge you a $5 cleaning fee (for a campsite????) and a "one time admission fee" of $30 (good for up to 4 people, additional people = additional money). Oh, they also charge a $50 refundable damage deposit due to excessive issues with campfire damage. Feels more like renting an apartment, not a campsite.

There's no denying that the scenery is beautiful, but I don't know that I would stay here again as amenities are minimal and fees are excessive.

Relaxed

Had some great games of disc golf here, gorgeous course, and challenging. Camping was also enjoyable.

Started from the bottom .

Tishomingo is a great , beautiful park. It is the beginning of the applachian mountains. The campsites are nestled by a cool lake. I believe about 20 miles of hiking trails. A few small rock faces to climb. Very clean and quite place.

Bike touring to Toshimingo

Beautiful campground near the Natchez Trace. Clean bathrooms with flush toilets and showers. Cyclists should know that although the State Park is on the Trace, you will need to ride several miles downhill to the campground. The downhill grade is very steep at one point with a 90 degree turn, making the descent into and ascent out of the campground a challenge with a fully loaded bike. Also the swimming pool is several miles from the campsites and the res. $3 charge to use it.