About Fall Lake

Fall Lake Campground is located on the shores of Fall Lake and provides direct access into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW). The campground opens in early May in time for walleye fishing season, making it a popular place for anglers. Others are drawn to Fall Lake for its birding, swimming, hiking and boating opportunities.

Superior National Forest, located in northeastern Minnesota's arrowhead region, is comprised of 3 million acres. The forest spans 150 miles along the United States-Canada border.

Recreation

Part of Fall Lake lies within the BWCAW, while the rest of the lake is open to unrestricted boating, permits are required to enter the BWCAW. View recreation guides and maps of hiking trails and canoe routes in the national forest.

Kids love the campground's swimming beach, playground and picnic area. A 1.5 mile hiking trail is also a favorite pastime for families. Anglers can try their luck for smallmouth bass, walleye, northern pike, crappie, perch and bluegill.

Some campers might be interested in the unique opportunity to view the visitor center's display of replica artifacts found during archaeological digs within the campground and surrounding areas.

There's no shortage of popular local events to attend, including the City of Ely's July 4th fireworks, the Blueberry Festival (the last full weekend in July) and the Harvest Moon Festival-mid September.

Facilities

This lake has some sites that can be reserved and some that are first-come, first-served. Many sites at Fall Lake are made to accommodate RVs including pull-through sites. Trees provide privacy between most campsites. The facility is very accessible.

A store, canoe rentals, firewood and ice are available at the facility, and a campground host is on-site during the season.

Natural Features

The campground is nestled among majestic pine and abundant aspen and fir trees, providing the ultimate northwoods setting. Average summer temperatures are a pleasant 60-75 degrees. Birds and wildlife are abundant.

Nearby Attractions

Guests may want to take a day trip to the Dorothy Molter Museum, International Wolf Center, North American Bear Center, Ely-Winton History Museum or Soudan Mine.

By far the most popular nearby attraction is the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. Over one million acres in size, the Boundary Waters contain over 1,200 miles of canoe routes, 12 hiking trails and over 2,000 designated campsites.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Price
$22.00 - $105.00
National Forest
Fall Lake is located in Minnesota
Directions
Fall Lake is located in Northeast MN, 100 miles North of Duluth MN. From Duluth, MN, take Highway 53 north for 50 miles to Virginia, MN. Take Highway 169 northeast for 50 miles to Ely, Minnesota, travel an addition 6.5 miles to County Road 182 (Fall Lake Road). Travel north on County Road 182 for 2 miles.
17 Reviews of Fall Lake
Great place in the fall!

We have been rained on and snowed on but there are no bugs! Camping in October in Northern Minnesota is a great time of year and the fall colors are out of this world! Fall Lake is on the edge of the Boundary Waters and has easy access to it.

Great place!

Large sites, secluded, and right on the Boundary waters!

The lake is entry point #24 for the BWCAW.

Bathrooms are clean and there is no dump station.

Seclusion and Cleanliness

This campground has well spaced, well foliaged camping spaces. Great for both tent and RV Camping. The bathrooms are immaculately clean as well. Plenty of options for hiking or getting on the lake and it is close to more attractions in Ely!

Ranger Review: Brunton Outdoor products at Fall Lake, MN

Ranger Review: Brunton Outdoor products at Fall Lake USFS campground in the Superior National Forest, Minnesota

Just got back from over a week in the Superior National Forest, and have reviews of both the USFS campground at Fall Lake, and also a Product Review of some gear used for nature study and navigation during the week!

Campground review:

The Fall Lake campground is one of the largest and nicest run by the US Forest Service in the Ely area. It is right at the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) wilderness, as Fall Lake is actually an entry point to the roadless motor-less BWCA. A stay at Fall lake is a great stop for a night just before launching your canoe onto a BWCA wilderness adventure, or a great destination camping spot in and of itself if you want a less rustic or remote National Forest camping experience with day trips into the wilderness and surrounding area.

The campground has large woodsy campsites that are secluded and well maintained, many set away from the lake but some right on the lake featuring their own individual canoe landings and swimming spots. Picnic tables, fire grates and tent pads are located at each site, and some have electric hookups and room for trailers. The lake is large and good for angling, boating or paddle sports, but there are also bike trails and hiking trails in the area. There is also a day-use area on a side bay, with beach and playground in the picnic area. Unlike many smaller Forest Service campgrounds in the Superior NF, this one has a small visitors center with a little store. It is also an easy run to Ely for supplies or a variety of village or outdoor activities. This would be a really ideal camping spot for a family, and also for a solo camper who wants a nice private "edge of the wilderness" retreat without being completely alone in the wilderness. Highly recommended!

Product Review

While at Fall Lake, I had a chance to do a Ranger review of a number of items from Brunton Outdoors https://www.brunton.com/ that are good for navigation and/or nature study. First, I tried out two different hand held monocular pocket spotting scopes. One, the Brunton Echo 10-30 x 21 Monocular Scope, is great for long distance bird watching or nature observation, with a magnification of 21 and zoom of 10-30 . Having occasionally had opportunity in the past to use use a colleague’s very expensive high tech professional spotting scope , I would have to say that I was extremely impressed by the quality of this scope which has high quality visuals for a naturalist, while being a fraction of the cost and much more portable. It comes with a case, lenscap, and attachment for a tripod. You really do best to use a tripod with it to steady the image if zooming in to the fullest. I was able to zoom right in to view an eagle on its nest in a tree several hundred feet away. as well as a loon on its nest on an island about 1/4 mile away. I think this scope is a great tool for the outdoor naturalist to get a close up look at bird and animal species for the purpose of ID at a distance. While I was using the scope for nature study, you could also use it for canoe trekking and trying to find the location of a distant portage up ahead along the shore. The only slight drawback is that the lens cap and tripod screw both could be easily lost; they are small and could use some kind of tether to the scope.

By comparison, I also tried out the Brunton Echo Pocket Scope, a slightly smaller water resistant scope that features a 7 x magnification and a zoom of 18. While not as powerful a scope as the one above, it is still great at zooming in fairly well on critters or portages at a distance. A distinct advantage is that it has crisp close-up focus at one foot distance, thus being able to serve as a macro lens or almost like a dissecting scope for close-up examination of grains on rocks, veins on leaves, anatomy of insects, etc. It also has a handy wrist carrier, and has a brightly colored water resistant rubber coating that is great for use on the water.

Personally, as an outdoor naturalist, I would purchase both, for their unique special attributes. If you are only casually interested in nature study, and want to use something like this more for navigation while boating or canoeing, you might want to start with the less expensive Pocket Scope, and maybe work your way up later if you want something more powerful.

I also reviewed the Brunton Locker Compass, a trekkers pocket compass that also includes a hidden compartment designed to hold a few things like keys, spare matches, and some bandaids. Very handy indeed! I compared the compass to another orienteering compass I already had, this was easy to use and the results were accurate and true. The hidden compartment is small and sensible and a really nice added feature! If you dont already have a general outdoor compass for hikes and canoe trips, I would recommend this one because of its dual purpose.

Last but not least, I tried out Bruntons pocket sized "Lost Hiker" kit that actually fits right into your wallet. It comes in a little pouch the size of a credit card, and includes a card magnifying glass, mirror, survival instructions, and a tiny flat compass. The magnifying glass of course works as a magnifying glass, but more importantly can focus sunlight onto tinder to start a fire. Does it work? I was skeptical--but in seconds it actually started a small fire in my fire grate. I was impressed! Very handy, and very portable! The mirror, obviously, would serve well to flash sunlight at passing search and rescue teams if you needed to signal where you are, and while it is thin and portable, it is also strong and break-resistant. If you get lost in the woods and havent been rescued yet, you can also check it to see how bad you look :) As for the flat mini compass, the instructions said to float it on the surface of water in a cup, or in your cupped hands; it is a bit tricky at first to place it right on the surface without breaking the water's surface tension, which you need for the compass to read properly. A few tries got it to work, however, and amazingly this tiny little compass got a pretty accurate reading and would indeed help you strike off in the right direction is you didnt have an orienteering compass . Given that this little kit is so small and so handy and so darn helpful, there is no reason not to get one, and every reason to have one with you on any outdoor trip. A few bucks well spent if you ever get lost!

Overall, Brunton has quality products for both the casual or serious outdoor trekker or scientist. Highly recommended! https://www.brunton.com/

Super easy in and out!

We pulled into this campground after a long drive in the dark. They allow you to arrive late (no check-in time) and we enjoyed a quick night on our way to the BWCA. The campground was beautiful to wake up to and the restroom facilities were well-kept.

Favorite Campground of the Season

By far this was our favorite campground of the summer. The campground is fairly small, has plenty of towering trees for shade and privacy, and sits right on Fall Lake. Fall Lake is a popular place for anglers and those looking to adventure into the boundary waters. The park will accommodate anything from tents to large RVs and is well worth a visit in our opinions. In fact, plan on staying the maximum two weeks … pretty sure you will like it as much as we did.

About half of the sites are reservable with the others being walk-ups. We booked three nights because we didn’t want to drive the RV all the way up into the northwoods of Minnesota and not get a campsite. Especially, since we were there in August during the busy summer season. While we liked our first site (which was a pull-thru), it was booked after our stay so we started scouting other sites. Walk-up site #39 caught our eyes and as luck was on our side it was going to be vacant the morning we were due to check out. That morning we headed to the office fifteen minutes before they opened to get in line hoping to book the sites. We scored the site and booked it for the maximum two weeks.

In our opinions, the walk-up sites are the most desirable because they have direct access to the water. Our site had steps that led down to the lake where we kept our kayaks on the bank so we didn’t have to rack them on the car every time we used them. Even if you don’t have one of these sites there are other public pathways leading to the lake for easy access. Our site was pretty close to the boat ramp which is a busy place so it was a big noisy – especially in the early morning hours but we didn’t mind.

The bathrooms and showers (which are free) are some of the cleanest we have found. They were cleaned daily and the camp hosts returned many times during the day to check for cleanliness and make sure they were stocked with paper products. You have to use a keypad to enter the bathroom which ensures only campers are allowed in. Water pressure in the shower was great and the water was hot. There was no dial to adjust how hot you wanted the water and our shower was almost too hot to use but that was better than being cold. There was a potable water spigot outside which made it easy to fill up our water jugs.

The park has two group camp areas that are ideal for multiple campers and are very private. They have their own bathhouse, pavilion, large grassy common area, grills, and water access. We would definitely rent one of these sites if we came back with three or four friends.

One day, I walked the Stub Lake Trail that left from the campground but was really disappointed. It is in an area with lots of blow down so there was not much shade or interesting scenery. More interesting trails are located about 15 minutes away at Bass Lake which are longer and more scenic with water access. We loved the town of Ely especially the Tuesday Farmers Market and the restaurant Insula. If you are interested in renting outdoor gear there are many outfitters in town ready to assist or you can also rent canoes for $20/day at the campground office. Don't miss the International Wolf Center, the North American Bear Center and the Dorthy Molter Museum. All are really interesting and definitely worth the price of admission.

We camped here in an RV and the only thing that could have made our experience better is if there were full hook-ups. But, since the bathrooms were clean we didn't mind. There is a water fill-up station by the camp office and a dump station in town at the Chamber of Commerce.

Ranger Review: Lily Trotter socks at Fall Lake Campground in Ely MN

Fall Creek Campground, on Fall Lake, is just about the last place you can stay in modern convenience (relatively speaking), before you hit the Boundary Waters, where amenities don't exist. It has everything you need in a campground, and more! Great for the family, or simply an overnight before a bigger adventure. And while I was here, I got a chance to test out my new Lily Trotter Socks!

Campground Review

We've been to this campground before, but this time, "our site" wasn't available. You know, the one you ALWAYS go to because it's "the best one". So, we had a different experience this time. This one was an "electric" spot, for an RV or such, but worked just as well as a tent pad. And yes, they do have "tent only" sites, but they were all booked this time. Very popular camp.

We were at site #8. There isn't a site that is very far from the lake, and this held true for #8 as well. The whole campground is like a big oval that is connected from one side to the other by small cut-across paths. Each cut-across has a bathroom (guarded by a keypad that you receive the code to when you check-in). That makes them just a little bit nicer, since random folks can't just happen through and take showers and such. And yes…there are showers! Rather large stalls that are pretty clean. Not like the old fashioned shower stalls with curtains that pools have in the locker rooms. This is a nice, bigger stall with a door.

Our site was near a watering spot, with potable water. So super easy to "fill up" before bed time or before you head into the BWCA. And something I've never seen before…a fire bucket! They are located at most water sources. How smart! Each site has a very well maintained and fairly large fire ring with a a grate on a pivot that you can swing out of the way. The tent pad was a tiny bit off-kilter, but then again, this was really an RV site, so I'm not complaining. Just a note. And just at the end of the campground was a lovely little playground (truly…very nice play-set rooted on sand) and a little beach with a roped off swimming area. There were even some benches for the adults to rest on. Perfect! Very pleased with this campground, every time we visit.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At Fall Lake (and at other times during my trip), I tested a pair of awesome compression socks from Lily Trotters. I received two pairs in size S/M, but only tested one at this campground. To be honest, they are so awesome, I didn't want to get the second pair dirty quite yet :) The Totally Solid Black were just that…absolutely, totally solid, in more ways than one! Here are some observations:

1. First, I must note, that my feet are on the small side (size 6.5). Most women's socks are too big. They have excess room in the toes and "stretch" out and bunch up in my shoes. So I have a very hard time finding anything that fits properly. Being compression socks, I knew they would be tighter fitting, so I was very excited to try them on! They fit like a glove, and I loved it! No bunching, no stretching, no falling down. They are the first "tall" sock that I've ever put on my foot that didn't fall down during the day. They truly do compress, but not in a bad way. My legs felt "livelier" and "rested" while I was wearing them.
  2. The top band absolutely didn't cut into my leg. I have shorter legs, so sometimes, the bands hit right below my knee and cut in. Although these hit me in the same spot, they caused no problems, at all, during my wear. And they are very stretchy!
  3. I also put them on, later in the trip, during portages. I know that's not their intended use, but I can absolutely see these being a great asset to a long sitting session in a canoe, and then on the portages themselves. They seems to dry quickly and didn't really feel wet, even when they were.
  4. I'm absolutely certain they'd be fantastic while hiking too. Can't wait to try them out in that fashion! As "compressed" as they are against my feet, I'm guessing they'd be great to help prevent blisters and alleviate friction. (they did prevent the normal rub spot/blister spot I have when wearing my water shoes)
  5. I believe that all their socks are identical, except for the color (oh…they do come in two different sizes), so the only difficult thing about ordering them is choosing which fancy pattern you want!

Oh, and one more note. I am a pastry chef, so I'm on my feet about 10 hours a day. I wore these to work, recently, on what was an incredibly demanding day. Up and down the stairs, all over the kitchen and they didn't falter once. My normal socks "shift and twist" inside my Danish clogs, but these never needed adjustment, not even once. Awesome!

Roomies and canoe

Roomates and I came out here in july to have weekend away. Wow!! Personal own island campsite…need I say more!!! Canoeing, fishing, bbq! It was great get away!!! The actual campsite itself is MASSIVE as well!!! Very clean and easy access to the lake!!!

Island Campsite

A friend of ours told us about the island campground here at Fall Lake! You canoe out to your island to camp on and if it doesn't get better then that I don't know lol Couldn't tell you much about the rest of the campground but the island was primitive. Beautiful lake, we brought a canoe out and spent all day on the lake! I would recommend going to see Kawishiwi Falls nearby!

Beautiful Sites!

We love this campground…we generally stay here one night before we enter the Boundary Waters. One of our favorite sites has stairs that go down to a tent pad. Big enough for 2 tents, easily, it also had a little trail to the water, just about 20 yards away as well as a picnic table and fire pit (raised and well maintained). The bathrooms were very clean (there is a "code" to get in so not just anyone can pop in and use them). Showers too! Highly recommended. But beware…don't have more cars at your site than allowed. We had 3 cars (2 were allowed) and we were "ticketed" for the 3rd car by the campsite police…lol. I think we had to pay $14.