Mount Pleasant , MICHIGAN

Most Recent Mount Pleasant Camping Reviews
Private Sites

We stayed during very hot weather at the beginning of July 2020. I wanted to visit Potter Park Zoo so we choose to stay at Sleepy Hollow for a few days. Our site backed up to trees and I can't recall seeing our neighbors to the left or right. Because we didn't get any shade from the nearby trees we had to run the ac which is unusual for us in Michigan. We were in the midst of a heat-wave though and it was much appreciated. The park needs to upgrade the electrical system as this was putting a strain on their electrical equipment. We did go for a short paddle on (C) Ovid Lake, but again, no shade and HOT. I can't recall why we didn't go swimming?? Overall the campground was nice and I would stay again.

Was a decent place to camp- lots are very close though! Luckily in the fall it wasn’t very busy. Nice little lake on property. Fire pits in odd spot near the road. No pets allowed-not even a cat that stays inside in your camper! Also- there is a $7 a day fee for out of the county. Even when you arrive late at night.

Quiet, wooded sites

Nice little county campground, under the canopy of trimmed pine trees. Lots were large, no issues with backing in our 36’ TT with 2 slides (make sure to clean your slides from the pine needles before you go). Fire pits were small And installed in ground, electrical was up to 30amp, and sites were all dirt for most part. They do have sites in front of the park (outside the loops) that is grass but in full sun. It is pet friendly. They have a few spots for fishing, but if you would Luke to swim, you will have to go across the street to the day use (still included with your stay) beach. Only real issues we had (just me) was starting around 9:30-10, the rangers would drive around the loops every 10-15 minutes until midnight (probably longer, but that’s when we turned in) and their lights from the pickup would blind us. In the back end of the park there was 4-5 loops and the loops are the size of a roundabout. So every time the truck would go into any of the loops it would constantly shine in your eyes when you are trying to enjoy the fire.

Outside of ionia.

Lots of bugs, seasonly because it's by a small river. Nestled right outside the city of ionia. To enter the park you cross a historic bridge. There is dispersed camping. Out house bathrooms.

Great Lake!

Very nice camp with an awesome lake and great swimming area! Kids love this park! Sometimes it gets busy. The shop has snacks and ice cream.

Rustic camping at finest!

Dispersed camping and camp sites available. There are horse staging areas and hiking trails. The lake is nice, small enough for a kayak/ no motor boat, nice.

Nice state park

Private sites with trees on three sides of the campsite. The bathrooms were nice and sites were black topped. Nice no wake lake. It was great for kayaking and fishing. The beach was nice with a fishing dock. Only negative it is 1/2 mile to beach. We just drove instead with our chairs and beach toys! We will be back!

Really, That’s Your Signage??

Well if you are arriving here late, good luck…. Pretty much the worst signage I’ve seen in Michigan State Recreation Area. Very good signs to pretty much everything other than Beechwood Campground. Once you do figure out that you have to drive to acolyte back end of park to register then turn all the way back around and find hidden non marked campground, you’ll soon realize they are walk/hike in sites. NO WHERE on DNR website for reservations does it say this. As is if this isn’t bad enough, once you park and find trail the sign then reads “East or west” for sites. Not B1- whatever this way B whatever that way do bring your compass too and flashlight if dark. To say the sites are uneven is putting it mildly. For 15 sites, you seriously can’t level them?? Really lazy considering how nice disc course is and signage for course. I wouldn’t waste your time or money camping here, visit park and use trails or disc course yes. Camp, no way ever again!!

Peaceful, fishing and kayaking

Small but sweet campground. If given the choice get a site in the pine loops. It's more of a walk from the lake but the other loops have no shade and seem more crowded together. We had site #24 and it was fairly ideal and very roomy. There is the Pier- Marquette Rail trail about 1.5 miles from the campground, great for biking, running etc. Electric hook up was fine. Bathrooms are cleaned 3 x a day. Showers were warm and clean. This is Amish country and the campground has horse hitching posts near the fishing lakes. We saw a horse and buggy hitched up there. But I imagine anyone could ride their horse there then hitch up while they fish or wade in the water. Beach is across the road from the park and no pets/dogs allowed in that side of the park. Other campers there were courteous and respectful of quite hours. I would stay there again if I had another event bring me to this area.