The best RV SITES camping near
Mount Pleasant , MICHIGAN

Most Recent Mount Pleasant Camping Reviews
Not usually too busy unless there is a concert.

Some 50 amp site some 30 amp. Make sure to have cash or a check as the office is only staffed part time. You can do a self check in and leave in the drop box. No reservations here all site are fcfs.

Far away AND close to town...all at the same time!

We found this campground on a walk around the town of Ontonagon, but didn't get a chance to camp here as it was already closed for the season.  We caught it after the beauty of the fall color had already gone, but it's probably a stunner!  We'll be back sometime…

For such a township park, it has comprehensive services, with many waterfront options, and all sites have electricity.  The sites are rustic, there is a dump station as well as a water filling station for RVs.  The bathhouse has showers, there is a cute playground, and it has beautiful views of both Lake Superior and the Porcupine Mountains (about 20 miles away).  You can easily walk into town for basic supplies.

Options for hiking, cycling, and water activities of all kinds abound.  This campground is one of many along the shores of Lake Superior's Water Trail.

Private Sites

We stayed during very hot weather at the beginning of July 2020. I wanted to visit Potter Park Zoo so we choose to stay at Sleepy Hollow for a few days. Our site backed up to trees and I can't recall seeing our neighbors to the left or right. Because we didn't get any shade from the nearby trees we had to run the ac which is unusual for us in Michigan. We were in the midst of a heat-wave though and it was much appreciated. The park needs to upgrade the electrical system as this was putting a strain on their electrical equipment. We did go for a short paddle on (C) Ovid Lake, but again, no shade and HOT. I can't recall why we didn't go swimming?? Overall the campground was nice and I would stay again.

Terrible Excuse for a “Resort”

They charge per person, so I paid $75 for my boyfriend and I to tent camp on the river for the 2 night minimum required. They are money grubbers who charge per person then put multiple parties on one site. Firewood available on site is soaking wet so had a lot of issues getting a fire started. Not much to do at the campground unless you want to pay an arm and a leg to rent one of their watercraft. Staff is incredibly rude and unhelpful. Everything they offer is an extra charge. Will not be returning here ever again.

Bay City State Park Campground

This is a really nice campground with newer bathrooms. I saw two cabins. The campground is not right on the lake. You have to cross the road to get to the state park with a great beach and a small, two mile trail. The campsites are right next to each other but there were a lot of mature trees. There are a few swing sets at the campground and the state park had a splash pad and huge playground.

Large sites; nice amenities; but lots of people!!

I stayed in a friend's camper with my son for several nights in late September. The campground is very nice! The sites were large enough that it could hold a large camper and two vehicles easily.  Some of the sites are a little uneven (the camper needed wood blocks underneath it so that the wheels weren't off the ground after leveling.

There are nice firepits and the firewood is cheap! 8 large pieces for $6, a wheelbarrow full of tinder for another $6. Bring a hatchet or axe because the wood pieces are huge!

There is a large beach with playground equipment, kayak and boat rentals (although those were closed due to COVID.

Modern bathrooms with showers, but honestly I never needed to use them (we had the trailer).

There are a few downsides:

1) Because it's so close to Grand Rapids and some other cities, it typically is full on the weekends. Booking a site can be troublesome. Our friends booked the site from Tuesday through Monday and it was totally full on Friday and Saturday night.

2) The lake is effectively a plate, so don't expect to do much fishing from shore. The water is incredibly shallow. (But that makes for a very nice beach!)

Overall, I wouldn't tent camp here simply because of the crowds on the weekend, but I'm glad I went. If you have a trailer and like the camping community, you would like this. If you're looking to get away from people for a while, keep looking. This isn't for you.

Beautiful Campground

After several hours of searching for an open campsite for the weekend mid July we found this campground online and quickly reserved our site before it got snatched up. Nice peaceful drive there… pulled in to find they have recently just been acquired by KOA I believe as there was signage down with few KOA signs up. Beautiful well kept restrooms n’ showers, very nice staff, quaint lil store for those “oops I forgot” items along with small variety ice cream shop tucked to one side. A few cabins looked to be just built as well as possibly a few more to come, walked a trail to find a doggy park as well which is nice to have when traveling with our fur babies. Unfortunately they had canceled a lot of their activities due to COVID but we reserved a tubing trip that was over an hour away for Saturday so we enjoyed the grounds/site to relax around the fire for the most part. Would definitely go back when activities resume, would love to see everything they are working on currently to broaden their activities and lodging experiences!

Good for a one nighter or a casino stay

Pretty basic campground with paved sites and a nice lake. Not much space, trees or privacy. Looked like most of the sites were longer term/workers. Clean restrooms, showers and laundry. Casino shuttle. Wet firewood.

Small sites

The sites were very small at this campground. Our fire pit was so close to our trailer we didn’t dare use it. There is a small playground for kids but not much else to do. They advertise disc golf but there are only 2 baskets on the playground within a few feet of each other. Not an actual disc golf course. There are hiking trails but unfortunately we were not able to use them due to it being hunting season. Won’t be camping here again any time soon.