Cheboygan, MICHIGAN

Most Recent Cheboygan Camping Reviews
Great base camp

Close to Leggs restaurant. Mackinac Island. Tunnel of Trees. Upper peninsula Michigan. All this and a great campground.

Tranquil and Great for the fall

This camp site is really cool and makes for a greta weekend escape from reality.  There is a trail network that cuts through the forest of the campground, which is a nice plus and rests peacefully on the shores of Black Lake.  There is a wide variety of tree species throughout the campsite, which is nice, including these towering conifers.  The campsite also features a really nice beach, with a community campfire area, and good showers.  Because of the size and the design/layout of the campsite it really takes you away from reality and puts you right into the wilderness where you can relax, unwind, and hangout with fellow campers.  I would definitely recommend this place, especially in the fall because the trees changing colors really adds a nice element to this campground.  The only thing to not was that our site, site 5, had a really rock ground beneath the dirt which made it difficult to stake our tent down.

We keep coming back

We have stayed here for years, both camping, and in the cabins, typically in the fall. We enjoy the less busy fall time and seeing the trees change. But this summer we stayed in August and it was packed. Even so, the campground was clean and orderly. We will be back again, just not sure in the summer. Great views of the bridge and fireworks.

Fun Halloween Camping

We were here for the halloween weekend. They did a great job with the trick or treating by shutting down all vehicle traffic and by having a site decorating contest. And we got second place so they gave us a nice goodie bag. Since we were camping in the fall the pool was closed and there were plenty of back in sites available. I would recommend.

All Time Favorite

I've been staying here since the late 60's and consider it one of the best campgrounds anywhere. We usually stay in one of the areas closest to the lake, but decided this time to try the upper campground.Our site was beautiful as are most of the sites. This one was almost hidden in the trees with no one behind us. It was a large spacious site and very quiet since it was after Labor Day. Since this was the first time I had stayed in the upper campground, we took a different path to overlook the Mackinac Bridge. It is awesome to see it from this direction. It's like you're looking straight at it. Most times you see it from one side or the other. The restrooms could probably use some updating, but it doesn't take away from the overall experience.

Great stop

Almost like home. Just a relaxing place by the lake if you dress right! Cool in the late summer/early fall but beautiful!

Must go camping

Great camp ground, spacious sites.

Fun.. Friendly

Stayed. For 6 days. Staff was awesome. Sites were neat. Park was clean. Lots do do for kids. Loved it here. Definitely coming back.

Phenomenal!

Stayed here during Labor Day weekend & the sites are huge! You don’t have to worry about your neighbors getting too close! Along with that, when we went there were little-to-no mosquitos! That’s enough to make a camping trip the best one yet. Plenty of access to the water as well! They also have the cleanest rustic bathrooms I’ve ever been to!

Amazing rustic

Amazing rustic park, DNR was called on us at 9pm for being too loud even thought it was before quiet hours. So if you’re going you can’t be too rowdy. Views are worth it though

A Hidden Gem in a Small Package

A well maintained campground managed by the City of Petoskey, Magnus Park is truly a gem.

Open to a magnificent view of the sapphire and aqua blue water of Little Traverse Bay,  this park is tucked away below US-31.

Surrounded by trees, yet very few within the campground itself, this simple stop is worth your time.

With 36 Full Hookup sites and 39 Water/Electric sites, you also get a very clean bathhouse with additional showers, so there's no waiting for facilities. A small children's play area is also adjacent to the bathhouse.

A short walk across the Little Traverse Wheelway bike trail that stretches 23.5 miles from Harbor Springs to Charlevoix, put you on a small sandy beach begging you to find a few of the elusive Petoskey stones.

Breathtaking sunsets are a welcomed added bonus!

Very well kept KOA

While it was pricey at $65 night, we had a very spacious full hookup site within easy walking distance of pool. Shower house was very nice and modern, with 4 shower stalls. Full coin laundry was helpful too! They had kids activities over the 4thof July weekend, and our kid loved it. The KOA is about a 5 min drive to Otsego Lake and the state park, where there's a nice beach and easy lake access. There's also a newly paved bike trail right by the lake for you to log some miles on. Nearby towns of Gaylord and Boyne provided us with ple ty to do, and only a couple hours to get to Sleeping Bear sand dunes. We thought this place was worth the expense- big, flat, level sites with fire pit and full hook up. Nice pine trees and plenty of space for kids to play. Did not like the additional fee for kid to get wrist band for jump pillow and mini gold, but did it anyways.

There are 2 loops

The loop up the peninsula has spacious sites but have a feeling of close neighbors. The first loop on the left is more spread out and seems more private.

Perfect Place To Stop For The Night

We stopped at this place for the night just passing through but I was pleasantly surprised. Not crowded, beautiful swimming area and launch for paddling. Large sites with picnic table and fire ring. Shared rustic vault toilet (only one for the whole campground 😳) which made it a little stinky. Self serve registration ($15 per night) and the perfect location for a stop when driving up further into the UP. Would stay again👌

Great little stay

Campsites are nice and layed out well to camp with friends. We have stayed a couple of times and it has been nice. Nice large pool and clean sites.

Good location

We stayed here on a trip up to visit the Mackinac Island. It was great for that as they offer a shuttle service to the ferries. Site was small and awkwardly set up. But a goo place for the home base of the day trips we took. We had fun playing the mini golf that was offered there. The staff I talked to was helpful with the questions I had.

Great, family friendly vacation spot

We stayed at Wilderness State Park the end of July. It was out second time camping at the the Pines Campground. There are two other camping options in the park, the East and West Lakeshore campgrounds, but the Pines sites are very nice and just a short bike ride away from the beach areas.

This time of year (summer/July), the campgrounds are completely booked on the weekends, but of you're looking for a site for a night or two, I recommend you keep checking the DNR for cancellations or camp during the weekdays.

The Pines Campground has spacious 20/30 amp sites, but no full hookups available. Each site looked pretty level with room for a tent or popup and plenty of extra room for a screen room. There were a lot of big RVs in the campground, but not a lot of room to move around them. I was surprised to see what some folks were comfortable driving in there.

There are several short trails for hiking and biking. The Pondside trail is about a quarter mile with benches to relax and view wildlife around the pond. My dog liked taking a dip there every day while I enjoyed some photography.

The shower house and bathrooms get pretty crowded with all those sites full of people and only one facility to accommodate them all. Expect a wait if you plan to shower just before quiet time.

Don't miss your chance to spend time on the beach while you're there. My kids and I always find a nice selection of fossils along the shore. The beach isn't very wide, so you may want to take chairs or a thick blanket to sit on in the grassy areas.

If you want a good meal in the area, Darrow's and Pancake Chef are two family friendly restaurants with good prices and a great selection. My son was celebrating his 12th birthday the day we left Wilderness SP for the UP and we stopped in Pancake Chef after packing for breakfast. When our server heard it was his birthday, she brought him a 6" cake with a candle to celebrate later. We thought that was pretty cool because he wouldn't have gotten a birthday cake otherwise.

Overall, Wilderness SP is one of our favorite campgrounds and we plan to visit every year possible. There is a lot to do in the city, like shopping and touristy stuff, if you're into that sort of thing, but if you're looking for relaxation, stay in the park and enjoy yourself.

Breathtaking

My wife and I spent the first day and night of Memorial Day weekend at one of the cabins here and absolutely loved it. Private and peaceful with unmatched views of the night sky over the lake. The cabins are simple but perfect for the basics of what you need for a great time outdoors.

Perfect weekend

Great campground. The campground was full, we were expecting it to be loud with so many people. Sleeping in a tent I was worried. It was not loud at all and we were not woken up in the middle of the night by others. The hosts were great, they didn’t disturb us at all and when we asked for advice about things in the area they were very knowledgeable.

Loved the lake👍

This campground was larger than expected and had some very nice lake front sites. It also surprisingly had a campground host, which is rare at state forest campgrounds. There are only about 10 lake front sites, but they were all very nice. A few even had their own beach (but those were taken). The lake itself was gorgeous and had a nice launch for paddling, fishing, and swimming. Campground had all the usual rustic state forest amenities, pit toilets, water pump, picnic tables, and fire rings. I think there might have even been a place to buy firewood near the host.

Nice but close to the highway

This is a nice little state forest campground that has a beautiful lake for paddling and a handful of beautiful lakefront sites. The sites include their own picnic table and fire ring, along with shared pit toilets and water pump for drinking water. The campground is also attached to a large system of ORV trails and has a beautiful scenic picnic area. The only thing I didn’t like is how close to the highway it was, at night you could hear the cars driving by. Overall, it’s a nice place though.

A beautiful secluded rustic campground

Looking for something off the beaten path? Well, here it is (if you can find it). This place is dropped right in the middle of the incredible Pigeon River State Forest and you better bring your compass and map to find it. Zero cell service for miles and limited road signs. Nothing but unmarked dirt roads and two-tracks for miles. The campground wraps around the lake, so most of the sites overlook the lake with some beautiful views. Shared rustic toilets and well pump for drinking water. Each site includes a picnic table and fire ring. The lake was perfect for swimming, paddling, or fishing.

Nice sites but not too close to the lake

Nice large state forest campground with plenty of space and sites. Each site includes a picnic table and fire ring. Shared rustic toilets and hand pump for water are also available. The sites are large but only a few are close to the lake and even those require taking a trail down to the water. The lake is beautiful and clear, perfect for a paddle or morning swim.

No kids getaway!

Young State Park was a quiet gem of a campground for us. The facilities were clean and the grounds themselves were a pleasure to walk around. The camp store was the best stocked one I’ve seen yet. All the sites were well sized with the exception of the waterside sites which were flooded due to the high lake levels lately. Other than that the campground has a lot to offer, especially being so close to Charlevoix and Petoskey.

Clean Fun Campsite

Pros: This camp site was amazing! Very family friendly with plenty of activities. You are able to rent water equipment, play mini golf and swim around the lake. You are able to buy bagged ice ($2.50) and firewood about 6-7 pieces ($5.00) on site.

Plus, Our 3 dogs came with and had a great time!

Cons: Quiet hours were well followed. I felt we had to whisper around the fire, to feel like we weren’t disturbing anyone. It was very family based so got pretty quiet around 8:00 PM. Also, Campsites are pretty close together!

Altogether the camp site is great, I wouldn’t go again but enjoyed it!

Beautiful views

Went camping with family and friends this weekend and we loved it here. Had two sites on the hill and our view was the lake and beautiful sunsets. I haven’t been camping since I was little, over 20 years, so I haven’t been to a lot of campgrounds. Staff was very nice, bathrooms weren’t bad, had two small showers but they get the job done.

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork At Round Lake State Forest

Campground Review:

First, let me just say, this state forest campground is probably one of my new favs! So quiet and peaceful, tons of trails, and little lakes all tucked around. There are only about 10 sites here, but they are all a really nice size. About half of them have a nice lake view. Each site has the standard picnic table and fire ring and there is a shared rustic toilet as well. At night the sky was incredible and there is even areas along the trails for elk viewing. Great little spot!

————————————————

Product Review:

Now that I have become a Ranger for the Dyrt, I sometimes receive products to test from time to time. On this trip I have the opportunity to try out my first (and not last) Morsel Spork. Before this trip, I was under the assumption that all sporks were somewhat the same (confession: I think until now I’ve always bought really cheap sporks). Either way, eating with this beauty was not only comfortable, but it actually handled like a normal piece of cutlery. It's also extremely lightweight and easy to clean, making it perfect for backpacking or lightweight ventures.

Beautiful camp sites!

Top three things that are best about this state camp ground are as listed:

1. Camp sites are huge. Plenty of room for multiple tents. Also all have trees for shade or a hammock.

2. Camp sites are NOT on top of each other. Usually you only get this in the backcountry. I was very impressed for rustic camping I had privacy and plenty of room.

3. The beach was fantastic. Lovely shoreline. Lots of cool beach rocks. The day use area is also very accessible.

The only major con is that it is next door to a cement facility. So yes you will sorta see if from the beach and you will see it when you drive up to go into the park. Other than that you won’t really know it’s there. I will say if you like airplanes the beaver island is nearby and A LOT of planes do fly by. So if you’re looking for library quite… this isn’t it but it pretty dang close.

The vaulted bathrooms were fine. There was water accessible as well. A great place and I would totally come back!

Busy campground

Very busy campground. Sites were small & packed close together. Extremely clean & family friendly. Has very nice hiking trails with views of the Mackinac Bridge. The campground is separated into 2 sections, I had a spot in the upper area. Campground was extremely full. Definitely want to make a reservation before you go.

Great little campground

Great little campground on the lake. Staff was friendly and helpful while making our reservation and checking in. This was a last minute reservation (2 days) for arrival on Thursday and departure on Monday, and they were able to accommodate our family (2 sites). You are allowed to have a tent on your site with your RV for the kids if you choose or if you want to double up on the site with other family members you can also do so with a fee. They also accommodate large groups as well if sites are available and/or reserved. We seen a group of 10+ rv’s/tents set up there campers in a big circle. Bathrooms and playground needs updating but beach area was nice. Our site 27 was a large site with a 30 amp hookup and plenty of room. Not bad for $25 a night. We will be back