Carland , MICHIGAN

Most Recent Carland Camping Reviews
Private Sites

We stayed during very hot weather at the beginning of July 2020. I wanted to visit Potter Park Zoo so we choose to stay at Sleepy Hollow for a few days. Our site backed up to trees and I can't recall seeing our neighbors to the left or right. Because we didn't get any shade from the nearby trees we had to run the ac which is unusual for us in Michigan. We were in the midst of a heat-wave though and it was much appreciated. The park needs to upgrade the electrical system as this was putting a strain on their electrical equipment. We did go for a short paddle on (C) Ovid Lake, but again, no shade and HOT. I can't recall why we didn't go swimming?? Overall the campground was nice and I would stay again.

Well maintained campgrounds!

The sites were very nice, and so were the bathrooms. Lights is fun activities for the kids for halloween. Lots of rules to follow, but the place has a nice atmosphere overall. Very large campgrounds… Quite the walk to the showers if you're staying up on the hill.

Bay City State Park Campground

This is a really nice campground with newer bathrooms. I saw two cabins. The campground is not right on the lake. You have to cross the road to get to the state park with a great beach and a small, two mile trail. The campsites are right next to each other but there were a lot of mature trees. There are a few swing sets at the campground and the state park had a splash pad and huge playground.

First Camping Trip in 2020

We finally got out camping together July 7th for a week! We do not have our own unit as of yet so we rented a Pop Up Camper for the week. Unfortunately we were only able to stay here for a few days of that week tues-fri as there wasn’t a single site open fri-sat. We took this first half of our camping trip alone n’ had a great time! Huge campgrounds, very clean facilities right on top of COVID procedures making us extremely comfortable! In one of our many walks we took down several sites we would like to rent next season! Hoping to have our own camper by then which I’m sure will guarantee an even greater experience!

Outside of ionia.

Lots of bugs, seasonly because it's by a small river. Nestled right outside the city of ionia. To enter the park you cross a historic bridge. There is dispersed camping. Out house bathrooms.

Bishop Lake

The campgrounds restrooms and showers were clean. Our campsite had a view of the lake, but no shade. The beach was nice but you have to walk a trail to get to it from the campground or drive. Nice walking trails. Our favorite was the lake for kayaking.

Nice state park

Private sites with trees on three sides of the campsite. The bathrooms were nice and sites were black topped. Nice no wake lake. It was great for kayaking and fishing. The beach was nice with a fishing dock. Only negative it is 1/2 mile to beach. We just drove instead with our chairs and beach toys! We will be back!

Really, That’s Your Signage??

Well if you are arriving here late, good luck…. Pretty much the worst signage I’ve seen in Michigan State Recreation Area. Very good signs to pretty much everything other than Beechwood Campground. Once you do figure out that you have to drive to acolyte back end of park to register then turn all the way back around and find hidden non marked campground, you’ll soon realize they are walk/hike in sites. NO WHERE on DNR website for reservations does it say this. As is if this isn’t bad enough, once you park and find trail the sign then reads “East or west” for sites. Not B1- whatever this way B whatever that way do bring your compass too and flashlight if dark. To say the sites are uneven is putting it mildly. For 15 sites, you seriously can’t level them?? Really lazy considering how nice disc course is and signage for course. I wouldn’t waste your time or money camping here, visit park and use trails or disc course yes. Camp, no way ever again!!

Large shady sites

The restrooms and showers were very clean, smelled of bleach. The nature trail around the lagoon is a birder's dream. We saw white egrets blue heron, sand pipers and their babies. There is a long paved bike path we had a dear pass within 6 feet of us and enjoyed hiking out to the watch towers. The water at the beach is pretty murky with a lot of green algae, we are told by locals the water is nicer at the far end of the beach near the private houses. I wish we had more than 1 night here, it really is a very nice campground and we are pleasantly surprised by the amount of trails and amenities. There is wheelchair access for the back and the water spigots in the campground has wheelchair access. I am impressed and happy with this park.

Loud and Crowded

The campground is nice with good access to bikes, trails, water, beach. Unfortunately the sites are on top of each other and very loud. Not for me.