Alanson, MICHIGAN
Most Recent Alanson Camping Reviews
Off the beaten path

A small but great little campground. Great for the entire family.

Great local gem

Lots of improvements over the years. This hidden gem is great for those in the community that want to get away, but yet is still close to home.

Great View , Terrible Neighbors (2017 stay)

We were really excited about this campground but did not have a good experience. We had a beautiful view of the straights and bridge. The problem was we had the worst neighbors ever! We had a family camping behind us that had crap everywhere! I have never seen such a mess of a campsite. The mess I could have lived with but the cussing screaming, physical and verbal fighting that went on was horrible. With two young kids we couldn't be outside our camper and had to either be inside or out doing things away from site. When we reported the problem we were told there was nothing they could do as they had talked with them but the problems still continued and they didn't have a ranger there at the time.

We ended up leaving a day earlier than planned, they did give us full refund and apologized. The day we left we found out that what we were told was not accurate and the ranger that day was taking care of the problem. However it was too late for us at that point.

I think we had a unique situation and normally this would not have been an issue but was disappointed it wasn't handled as it should have been.

St. Ignace state park

Great quiet campground. Great for landing on the way to the north or the south. Clean bathrooms. Note: you are not allowed to use a generator on the lake side sites.

Quiet retreet

Located up on a hill and there are some spots that overlook the lake and Mackinaw Island.

Close to town. Very clean and friendly staff. Sites are level and you have everything from rustic to full hookup. Wifi is available also.

Laundry room is clean as well as the showers.

Shaded and full sun sites. Nice breeze coming in off the lake.

Minutes from the bridge and castle rock

Great Location

I have gone to this campground several times and really enjoy it. Small campground with grass/sand sites, the campground is right on the water with a great view of the bridge. Very friendly hosts! The shuttle for the island ferry picks you up right at the campground.

Great campground

Great location, clean bathroom, nice hosts

Camped here a few times

Always love coming back to this campground. It’s first come first serve but never see more than 2 other people there. Every campsite has a fire ring and there are a few large enough for a camper. The only negative is that you can see and hear the cars traveling on I-75 if you are camping towards the east end of the campground. Other than that, it’s a great little spot for a weekend.

Love it!

We have been here three different times. Very large campground but never feels like it. Staff is friendly and helpful. Grandkids love amenities. We love view of the MightyMac and the island. Great place to stay for day trips away from campground.

Will visit again

Beautiful camp looking at the great mighty Mac. Great spot for staying close to head to the island.

Great place. Awesome hiking and rock picking. Very quiet and left natural. We will be going again.

Family favorite

Awesome campground with lots to do. Can check out the lighthouse. Close to Northport with cute shops. A great way to experience Lake Michigan.

Typical MI State Park

Not much privacy. Nice setting along the lake.

Been going here since I was a kid, still love it.

Entire camp is rustic with well pumps throughout, also all restrooms are vault toilets. Sinkhole trails within walking distance, beautiful lake with some nice fish. I believe it is a no wake lake so it doesn’t get too wild.

Prestine View

Simple but nice! Lots of trees. View of the bay is amazing. Hunting Petoskey Stones is the highlight.

Perfect place to relax

If you dislike state parks due to crowds and loud campers, you will love this little gem. Well managed and very clean facilities make this a pleasure to stay at. We spent Memorial Day weekend here and even with a full park it was very quiet snd relaxing. Great for tents and smaller RV’s.

My local go to beach

Love going here in the summer to the beach. Clean, good concession stand and nice camping

Visit in July 2018

A decent campground on Lake Charlevoix halfway between Charlevoix and Boyne City. Most campsites have some tree coverage and campsites are packed pretty close together. Bathrooms were pretty nice. The campground has a decent beach as well.

Young State Park on the north side of the lake is a better option with nicer amenities, but it can fill up quick in peak season.

While in the area, make sure to check out Avalanche Park in Boyne City and hike up the stairs for a great view of the lake.

Quiet place

Very quiet campground and sites are well spaced.

Great beach, RV park basically a parking lot.

While not the most exciting campground, we thoroughly enjoyed the beach. We found Petoskey stones and other fossils and swam. It felt like being at the ocean! There were nice trails to walk and we could see a light house off in the distance. Our dog really enjoyed swimming. If we are ever in the area again we will be back. Clean bathrooms and friendly people.

Basic Campground not far from Torch Lake

We enjoyed our stay, not much going on when we were there but it seems that this is a great spot for large groups and I have seen that sometimes they have live music or small festival type activity. Bathrooms were large and clean, water and electricity available. If you go by the bath house you can get Wifi. Little playground for my 4 yr old, not so much for 11 year old. Minus one star because despite the name, there is no access to any river. We stayed here not wanting to be in the tourist trappy areas nearby and it worked out great. Spots were not huge and also not very grassy. Geocachers, this is not far from a cache in a cemetery where the grave of a bearded lady is! Took a day trip up to Torch Lake and Petoskey to look for stones. Be sure to make sure beaches are dog friendly if you have one with you. Had we stayed in the camp, there was not a whole lot to do when we were there but not a bad place.

Really cool location

Really cool area, it’s near the only dark sky park to my knowledge in the lower peninsula. Extremely close to mackinaw, and overall the campsites are all secluded and private from each other.

My family and I have been coming here for years- I will always recommend this place!

Beautiful area clean camp ground

Peaceful spot, plenty of room

Seems much larger than most state forest campgrounds in Michigan. There are 6 loops here with numerous sites on each loop. And yet, you don't feel crowded in and there's decent privacy in many of the sites. Jones Lake is peaceful and offers some great sunsets. Dirt road leading in is in decent shape and navigable by any size rig. Some of the sites may require some tight maneuvering for larger rigs but site size is good overall. Trees offer good shade cover at different times of the day depending on site location.

Rustic campground, so no water or electric are available, but there are vault toilets, as well as trash and recycling receptacles.

Each site has a picnic table and fire ring.

We had a very pleasant stay.

Deecnt cell coverage -- 2 bars LTE on Verizon, 2-3 bars LTE on Google Fi.

A family favorite

I tent camped here with my parents, and came back often with my own children. Far enough from Mackinaw City for peace and quiet, near enough to visit all the attractions during the day. Tall trees and a beautiful beach. It,s a great vacation destination. One of the best state park campgrounds in a state full of beauties.

Very nice

We had a great time here. We rented a cabin for the whole family. The cabin was clean a very cozy.

Very nice park

I have stayed in this park camping as an adult as well as a child. There was a store and a mini golf course as a child, not sure about now. The park also provides nature activities during the summer, along with some educational opportunities. There are rivers close by for canoeing, tubing and fishing.

Many great memories

I have been going to this park since I was little. This was the place we would go to the beach with my parents. This is the place we would go for summer parties with friends in high school. I lost my virginity staying in this park after my sophomore year of high school. This is a great place!!!

Nice state park

I stayed here several times and have enjoyed each time. Many nice people to hang out with. I grew up in the area. The lakes and rivers are full of fish and the hunting is great!!