Luke , MARYLAND

Most Recent Luke Camping Reviews
Great place to stay

Me and the wife had a great trip there in late October nice and quiet outdoor gun range was fun we stayed at site 17 it was very nice

Small campground suitable for family car camping

New Germany State Park is a pleasant location with a small lake for swimming and kayaking, as well as numerous trails in the wooded mountains of western Maryland. Supplies are available in Frostburg and Accident, and there are even restaurants available near Deep Creek Lake. My son and I thoroughly enjoyed a long weekend and found it conducive to relaxing and discussing his future plans.

Beautiful and peaceful. Worth the drive!

Site Details: We stayed on site#40 in the Garrett Loop. It is one of only three FHU sites in this loop(the rest are primitive tent sites). The site was level, spacious, beautifully shaded, and convenient to the bath house. In fact, almost every site on the inside of the loop had its own little direct pathway to the bath house. The camping loop in general was beautiful, quiet and heavily forested. I don’t think there was a bad site in the whole loop.

Facilities/Overall Park: This park very quickly rose to the top of our list of MD state parks. The trails to the namesake falls are beautiful and very family-friendly, with lots of helpful signage. However, the parking lots and trailheads were PACKED on the weekend, so if you’re a day tripper, get there early! The bath house was meh, but it didn’t matter much to us since we had hookups.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: The neighboring sister park, Herrington Manor, has full-service deluxe cabins and a nice swimming beach. Also, be sure to hit the nearby Rock Maze trail, especially if you have kids. Swallow Falls is also very convenient to the Deep Creek area, with all the touristy things of a lakeside resort town. Check out Lakeside Creamery for some awesome ice cream!

Overall, this was a gorgeous, well-maintained park, with plenty to keep us busy in the park and surrounding area. We already have a return trip booked for next year!

LHHT

Oh the LHHT. What can I say. You are beautiful. And a beast. And breathtaking. Rafting in the yough is lovely as well. Such a fun area!

My go-to

This is my absolutely favorite go-to weekend exploration spot. She never looks the same, and every season has a new vista to offer

Nice remote quiet park

We enjoyed our stay. Lot of trails within the park. Most sites had no privacy but we didn't see it as an issue for us. We got lucky and had an almost dead level site but there are some tricky sites there so choose your site carefully. The roads within the campground are narrow and the sites, which are asphalt, are pretty narrow as well, maybe 10'. There was a 5th wheel across the road from us in a drive through that gave up, they just couldn't get level. Don't know where they went. Every morning and evening there were a number of deer roaming through the park. The bath houses are old but clean. Since there was no wi-fi and sad cell service we went to the lodge and use their wi-fi to download some youtube videos to watch a night.  Everyone knows about Blackwater Falls but just outside of Thomas there is a Douglas Falls that's becoming more popular as word spreads.

Secluded but convenient.

We stayed at campsite #1 off of 15 mile creek Road. Only a mile or so from I68. Great cell and internet reception with AT&T. We have a 25’ travel trailer and most places we scouted we probably couldn’t take it. Site 2 looks not too bad but a little less level. Site 6 also seemed like a nice spot for a Rv. Don’t recommend taking a large travel trailer on 15 mile creek Rd south of I68. Lots of S turns and pretty steep for my skills. Loved it!

Fall Camping in North Central West Virginia

The McCollum Campground at Coopers Rock State Forest is a great place to stay. The sites are nicely spaced apart, the camp staff is helpful, and the showers are very clean. The camp Wi-Fi isn't the best but we did have cell service with Consumer Cellular (AT&T Towers) and were able to work while we camped. The campground is only a short drive to the scenic overlook but if you're feeling adventurous you can take a hike. There is a playground for the kids and plenty of room for them to play. My only complaint is the firewood available to purchase. It's a small bundle for the price.

I would go back

I would go back. Our site was secluded and protected from other sites. We were very close to the state park and all activities there.

Nice quiet park

It's a nice wooded park with asphalt roads. The sites are some what close to each other but the wooded areas between the site give you a level privacy. Our site, as well as a number of others, wasn't particularly level. I parked our trailer halfway in because if I had gone all the way back I would have never gotten level. The bath houses were spotless. There are a number of water fill stations throughout the park and 1 dump station. Do follow others as well as the parks warning about coming in on Chalkhill-Ohioplye Road. Do not follow your GPS blindly. There are number of hike in the area which is why we were there.