Yurts
About Rocky Gap State Park

Visitors to Rocky Gap State Park have the opportunity to enjoy some of Maryland’s most beautiful natural wonders like Evitts Mountain. And campers in the area have the chance to experience even more beauty. With 278 campsites in the park, a large group site, cabins, yurts, and a chalet, there is ample opportunity to find the right camping option for you.

In addition to a variety of camping and lodging options, Rocky Gap State Park has another unique element within its bounds, the Rocky Gap Casino-Resort. RVers from all across the coast flock to Rocky Gap to place their bets and hit the back 9 at a golf course designed by the one and only Jack Nicklaus.

Once you’ve filled up on resort entertainment, return to the woods near your campsite and enjoy Rocky Gap’s natural resources like the popular Lake Habeeb. Home to largemouth bass in excess of 10 lbs, this lake is a angler’s paradise. Not only can you drop a line and indulge in the well stocked waters, this 243 acre lake also allows non-motorized boat trips and beach swimming. You won’t want to forget to bring your swimsuit, believe us!

Price
$20.00
Rocky Gap State Park is located in Maryland
19 Reviews of Rocky Gap State Park
Great for families

This park is a lot of fun in warm weather with kids. The facilities are also top-notch. I couldn't get over how nice the bathrooms were! We rented mini cabins which each have electricity but no bathroom or running water. Ours had a futon, folding table, double bed and bunk beds. The office will lend you a box fan at check-in and the cabins do get stuffy.

The swimming beach and playground are absolutely beautiful! We had a great time at the nature center reptile feeding program. We also walked around the aviary, where you can see many of the birds from the outside even if it isn't open for a program. We hiked the loop around the lake, not realizing that it was over 5 miles! It also takes you right through the casino parking lot and crowded day use area at one point. If there's a drawback to this park, it's that it really doesn't feel very remote. You're basically across the lake from a big hotel and casino. But it's convenient to DC and a great place for kids and new campers!

Ranger Review: Eclipse Sun Clothing at Rocky Gap State Park

Campground Review: This state park in MD is very popular in the fall for leaf peepers and this weekend was no exception. We were there the last weekend in Sept. The areas of the park that were available were pretty full. All electric sites were full. Our site 16 was spacious and private except for the pathway to the bath house but I only saw a half dozen people walking by. There are many paths from the 30 sites in the A or Ash loop to get to the bath house which was decent and clean. My sister-in-law and her husband stayed in a pull through site #15. It was extremely spacious and very private and backed up to the woods. We checked in at 8:05 on a Friday and there were 2 rangers in the office. The campground has a gate. There are loops A-I with A being all electric and pet friendly. B, C, D, and E were pet friendly with a couple electric sites but seemed to be used by hosts. Loops F through I were no dogs and no electric. There is a beach and a dog beach area which is a huge plus! The camp store was open but the Aviary and Nature center were closed for the season.  There appeared to be boat rentals but I didn't inquire. We hiked throughout and around the lake at the campground and then drove to the other end of the lake (there is a 5 mile trail around the lake) and hiked to Canyon Overlook and the dam which was very pretty. There was a scavenger hunt paper we could've used to search for objects in nature. Great for kids! There are 278 sites total with just 30 having electric hook-up. I would definitely camp there again! Hope it's a bit cooler next time. It was nearly 90!

______________________________

Product Review:

I used the Eclipse sun protection clothing for a little bit on Saturday. It was so hot I couldn't keep it on even with the side vents. I had the shawl cover up as well. I found the one size fits all poncho to be too big for me. I am small stature (5'4" and 110 lbs) so one size fits all doesn't usually fit me. I emailed a review to the company and they responded quickly that they were going to offer sized clothing in the very near future! The material was light weight and I think is as good as or better than any other sun protection clothing I've owned. I would recommend it!

Good family camping

They offer plenty of activities for kids and adults. Boating, swimming, hiking, a nature center that offers educational classes, gift shop, basketball court, multiple playgrounds, and also have pavilions for parties. Bathrooms are provided with showers, the site are typically pretty close together so there’s not too much privacy, but it’s a good family spot with lots of activities.

Excellent Campground

Its my first camping trip since boy scouts when I was a kid. The sites are nice, the bathrooms are clean, the lake was great to swim and canoe in. Also like that each loop has a host who supplies fire wood for a nominal price and provide any help you may need. I plan to come here every year, God willing.

Great family-friendly place

We stayed on a site on the Hickory loop. Good site with fireplace. The bathrooms were a short walk and in good order. Also a sink for washing dishes. Some road noise overnight (there’s a highway) but a peaceful and pleasant area. The lake is good for swimming and there’s great hiking. Friendly and helpful rangers and nice camp hosts in Hickory as well. A long drive from DC for us but well worth it.

Much more than camping (for better or worse)

The grounds are nice, and the sites pretty well taken care of. They are fairly close together, but he had a site (site #193 in Gum Loop) that was against a hill and had enough greenery for us. But, atop that big hill, we could see another loop of sites above us so seclusion is at a minimum.

There are sites by the lake, but they are reserved many months in advance.

The check-in process was superlative - they had two windows open, and moved us right through.

Here's the thing: the lake is beautiful, and we kayaked around it and it was wonderful. But along with that comes the golf course, and the amphitheater, and the activities which for my tastes is too much.

Admittedly our trip may have been subjected to more noise than most because there was a concert at the amphitheater - but it our site wasn't anywhere close to the concert, and still it was mid 90s hip-hop just reverberating throughout the grounds.

A good park, with a lovely lake, but I won't be returning due to the mixed company and mixed use.

Huge Campground with great beaches

The water in both lakes I visited were crystal clear! I liked that the campsites were not on top of one another but I think because this is such a nice campground it is also a popular campground. It was very busy and very noisy. Most definitely more of a family campground than a “back-to-nature” campground. It serve my purpose as a place to sleep for the night and I would visit again with my younger family because of all the activities, especially golfing, kayaking, and Casino, available but the naturalist in me would not appreciate as a getaway.

Very convenient to freeway, near casino!

The drive to Rocky Gap is really relaxing, and a good view of the casino from across the water. There is also lots of space for picnics and celebrations. There are several places to rent a canoe, but have to from outside the park.

Great family campground. Lots to do for hikers, bikers, and family.

Great location in Western Maryland. 10 min ride to Cumberland (larger town) 5 min ride to small town of Flintstone. Lots of well marked trails that range from beginner to advanced. Lake holds opportunity for numerous activities from swimming, fishing, kayaking, paddle board, and canoeing. No motorized boats which can be a good thing sometimes. The lake even has areas for pets to swim! Campground has tent sites, cabins, camper sites and group sites. All loops have bath houses with showers. Several loops have sites with electric hook ups and pets friendly loops as well. Casino and golf course located on the opposite side of the lake if you wish to visit them while camping.

Beautiful State Park

This is a nice park offering lots of campsites, though, only one loop has electricity.

Pretty lake that offers canoe, kayak, paddle boarding and swimming. All of which are available for rent. Fire wood is also available, locally (follow the sign as you enter the State Park) and within the park. Campstore is well stocked and has most of the basic things you may need or forget. They also have a small concession stand that sells ice cream and other treats. Bathrooms and bathhouse are reasonably clean, showers had pressure and hot water. Plenty of hiking offering great views and photo opportunities.

Great place for a family getaway.