Corinna, MAINE

Most Recent Corinna Camping Reviews
No frills waterfront camping

Head north out of Greenville on the east side of Moosehead lake and shortly before you reach Kokadjo, turn right and follow the road along the edge of First Roach Pond. Near the far end of the lake you’ll come upon a small campground with a number of named waterfront sites on the left and a grassy hillside area with additional spots. I drove past this place several times en route to ponds where I could kayak and look for moose before I finally decided to stop in. I couldn’t find much of anything online and that’s because they are old school, taking reservations by phone and tracking them on wirebound notepads. These are no frills sites; most of the outhouses are on the other side of the road from the waterfront sites and not necessarily nearby. Some of the sites occupy rises above the lake while others are right down on the water. There is a gravelly beach area. If you like to fish or boat or look for wildlife, you've come to the right area. Grab your Maine atlas and explore the back road and ponds. Book a moose tour out of Greenville if you want some help finding the moose. There are some small peaks in the area (Greenville promotes a Peak Pursuit). Kokadjo has a small trading post and restaurant, but you'll want to pick up most of your supplies in Greenville. Remember to bring water.

On the shores of GORGEOUS Moosehead Lake!

This gorgeous state park along the shores of Moosehead Lake near Greenville feels like the campgrounds of my youth. Sites are all tucked into the woods with easy access to trails and the lakeshore. Each site offers the usual picnic table and fire ring.

Well-kept latrines are scattered throughout the campground, as well as drinking water faucets.  A centrally located, and clean bath house with flush toilets, warm individual-use shower rooms, and a great dishwashing sink is a recent addition to this large facility. The only downside is that it can be a 10 to 15-minute walk from the farthest campsite, making most people get in their vehicles just to take a shower or wash dishes.

The great network of trails offer opportunity for hiking and biking in summer and skiing and snowshoeing in winter. The lake, over 35 miles long offers sailing, paddling, swimming and even power boating.  The closest town is conveniently located about 6 miles away for gas and groceries.

Worth the hike-in, very close to the AT

Beautiful hike-in sites located along the Pleasant River, and a great access point for hiking on the Appalachian Trail or in Gulf Hagas area!  We didn’t stay at these sites, but came across them while hiking just off the AT.

Each site has a picnic table and fire ring, with access to a clean latrine (with TP!).  No potable water is available, but the river is easily accessible for dishwashing and boiling/filtering. Firewood is available for purchase at the access gate at Katahdin Iron Works, but keep in mind you’ll have to carry it about ¾ of a mile, and across a river.

For safety, no bikes or ATV’s are allowed beyond the Katahdin Iron Works gate, as these roads belong to the logging companies in the area and there can be many fast-moving logging trucks. The town of Milo is where you’ll find the closest grocery stores and gas stations, but it’s a bit of a drive so come prepared.

Note about costs: Located in the Maine North Woods, getting here is quite a journey, but ooohh so worth it. It’s on the way to nowhere, you have to pay to get through the gate at Katahdin Iron Works, pay a daily access fee, and daily camping fee.  Note: If you are planning to backpack on the AT from this location, the pricing is very different, so be sure to ask!

First time we've seen moose FROM our campsite!

This was an unexpectedly beautiful site and great access point for hiking on the Appalachian Trail or Gulf Hagas area! We were seeking a place to stay 1 night just before embarking on a backpacking trip. The woman at the Katahdin Ironworks gatehouse selected the site for us and couldn’t have picked a better one.

Lots of privacy, beautiful view of the river, and we even were visited by a moose and her calf one evening! Each site has a covered picnic table and fire ring, with access to a private, clean latrine (with TP!) across the road. No potable water is available, but the stream is easily accessible for dishwashing and boiling/filtering. Firewood is available for purchase at the access gate at Katahdin Iron Works.

Note about costs: Located in the Maine North Woods, getting here is quite a journey, but ooohh so worth it. It’s on the way to nowhere, you have to pay to get through the gate at Katahdin Iron Works, pay a daily access fee, and daily camping fee. Note: If you are planning to backpack on the AT from this location, the pricing is very different, so be sure to ask!

Quiet, Spacious, Lots of Amenities

While we don’t usually stay in private campgrounds due to their high cost, the price was reasonable for the quality of this campground and amenities provided. We were in need of a shower and a place for the night and this campground was perfectly situated off the highway to Greenville.

Most of the sites are designed for larger RVs with full hook-ups, but they have just a handful of simple tent/small camper sites without services, which is exactly what we needed.   Just a picnic table and fire ring and some privacy and we were happy campers.

The shower house was newly remodeled and very clean, as was the laundry facility with dishwashing/utility sink. The campground has access to over 1000 miles of trails, which are designed for ATV’s. They even have an ATV washing station. While it was not open in late September, the campground offers a nice pool, game room for the kids of all ages, a small camp store, and even has a snack bar and ice cream counter.  And, if you are seeking some amazing hiking, it's relatively close to Borestone Mountain and sections of the Appalachian Trail.

The young husband and wife team who own/run the place are very sweet folks who seem to really pay attention to the needs of their customers.  For instance, they recently spent a good deal of money on high speed wifi because that is what their customers said they wanted.  We didn't need it, so can't comment on its quality, but it's there if you do.

Great sites and super convenient

My wife and I went up during Columbus Day weekend for some fall fishing and leaf peeping. We had a tent site that had tons of room. Camp store was great. Camp is just outside of Greenville so it’s super easy to go into town if you forgot anything. The only thing I wasn’t a fan of was I could hear the road noise from rt.6. In my opinion if I’m headed up to moosehead I would want to camp in the middle of the woods. But overall we had a great time.

Breathtakingly beautiful lake

This was the second of four huts on Maine Huts and Trails network of trails and it is situated very close to a gorgeous lake. The fall colors were at peak when we were there. I had never heard of Maine Huts and Trails (a small non-profit organization) and likely would not have if we had not traveled with an organized group for a three-day hut to hut experience. Although they are called huts, I would call them lodges. There is a large main area with showers, compostable toilets, a kitchen, and shared dining and living room space. There is a pack-in, pack-out policy. There are no electrical outlets or cell service, so you are off the grid.

The bunkhouses are shared and each one accommodates up to eight people.

Now for the bad news: One of the four huts (Poplar Stream) has already temporarily closed and all the huts are in jeopardy of not operating during the winter due to a severe financial shortfall. The catch 22 is that they likely do not have money for advertising so very few people know about them. I’m hopeful that by spreading the word on The Dyrt, more people will discover how beautiful they are, become members, donate to them, volunteer, and/or hopefully enjoy time spent in one of the huts.

Beautiful lodging you may not be able to visit!

I had never heard of Maine Huts and Trails (a small non-profit organization) and likely would not have if we had not traveled with an organized group for a three-day hut to hut experience. Poplar Flat is one of four gorgeous huts (and huts do not begin to describe these accommodations– they are more like lodges) on a trail system. The huts were constructed 11 years ago, and Poplar Stream was the first one completed. The main “hut” has showers, radiant heat floors, and compostable toilets. There are no electrical outlets or cell service, so this is an off-grid experience. There is a pack-in, pack-out policy.

The bunkhouses are shared and each one accommodates up to eight people. When it is open and staffed, meals are provided, and the food is good. Dietary needs are taken into account.

Now for the bad news: Poplar Flats hut is currently not open to the public (we stayed there as part of a group) and all of the huts are in jeopardy of not operating during the winter due to a severe financial shortfall. The catch 22 is that they likely do not have money for advertising so very few people know about them. I’m hopeful that by spreading the word on The Dyrt, more people will discover how beautiful they are, become a member, donate to them, volunteer, and hopefully enjoy time spent in one of the huts (I believe that the other three are still open).

Quick stay

Stayed here going to Acadia. Didn’t spend much time here. Did have a wheel bearing go out on the trailer, and some folks at the park were helpful in finding parts and offering tools.

Awesome Location on the Coast of ME

We only stayed one night here but we loved the proximity to the village of Camden and the hiking trails near our site.

Very nice, quiet, clean park

This place is excellent! The staff are friendly, the park is quiet, clean, well maintained and spacious. If you are planning on staying around Bangor, this is the place!

Small and Quiet

We stayed here 8/24-8/26/2019 Nice small campground with the lake and lake side camping available No WiFi or cable hook up and sewer hooks are limited but we liked it

Best small campground I've been to in 18 years.

Clean,quiet,very well taken care of,great staff,very helpful,huge sites,absolutely loved this place!

Excellent place with lots of special details

I will say that my preferred camp site is one that is heavily wooded, where I can hardly see my neighbors and where I have some view of something impressively beautiful. I have a small camper and two young kids so on long camp trips I appreciate a place with RV hook-ups. This place may not offer a heavily wooded area where I can't see my neighbors but it makes up for it for everything else it offers. It's right on the ocean, it has gardens and secret nooks where you can sit and make a fire. It has a beautiful art studio. It has a play room and play ground that kept my children entertained for hours so I could read. The other campers were so pleasant that I had no issues with being close to them. I had the lobster dinner they offered and it was excellent. I will come back again.

Beautiful location

This campground has a gorgeous view of the lake. A great place to fish for bass and yellow perch. The campground was very rustic and quiet. Bathroom electrical outlet did not work. The Owner was extremely pleasant and helpful. A lot of water activities available for families. A very nice place to go to relax.

Fantastic family camping!

We had so much fun at this campground. So many many things to do for kids. The swimming pool was awesome as well as the water slides. The fireworks on July 4th could match Disney World! Wonderful place to camp!

Great place

Really nice campground. Friendly group of people.

Best we have found!

This place is not your typical campground much more special.

We are full time RV’rs and have stayed at lots of campgrounds but this place holds a special place in our hearts. The people working are the perfect compliment to a beautiful location. We have stayed a number of times and it is like seeing old friends when we return.

Nice hiking trails around the property that out dog just loves. Often there are artists and musicians at events or giving some kind of lessons. If your looking for a place to stay that is not like a national chain, you have found it! Enjoy!

Beautiful campground by the ocean

The state park is backed up against Mt Megunticook with fabulous hiking and also frontage on The Penobscot Bay. You get the best of both. The park is very clean, sites are not very level so plan on adjusting things. Two large bath houses with hot showers and flush toilets. We liked it so much after our first visit that we have been campground hosts here for 4 years.

Wonderful remote camping area

Family run campground. Clean and well cared for. Great for kids.

Convenient and close to home

This campground is small family owned. The owners are outgoing and nice. The store offers handmade craft items with awesome prices and a small selection of take out foods. And ice cream. Again prices are reasonable. Activities are listed on the board and are fun. Variety of RV sites. Waterfront are our favorite. Play area for kids.

Clean and friendly.

We stayed over Memorial Weekend 2019. Most sites were full, but it didn’t feel crowded. The state employees running the campground were very nice. We were allowed to check in early, and they even offered to charge our phones for us since we were staying in a site without hook ups. The bathrooms/showers were clean and well kept, but we mostly used the bathroom in our rv. The sites were well spaced….we could see our neighbors but we didn’t feel like we were packed in too tight. Definitely drive up Mnt Batty, and check out the day use area. I recommend a trip down the road to McLaughlin's Seafood for some fantastic take-out.

Great state park with cute town attached!

We are pop-up campers. We had plenty of room for our camper. Dog friendly. Bathrooms were very clean. “Playground” is a bit of a stretch. Firewood was a bit pricey at $7 a bundle. Nice hike and mountain views! Camden is a great town by the water with restaurants and shops. Kayaking and sailboats are also available.

Very nice campground.

Been here several times. We love it here. Staff was greatly helpful. Enjoyed all they had to offer with our grandchildren. Beautiful beach area.  Nice and clean. A great state park!

Maine Wilderness campground

Stayed here 2 nights in June. Wooded sites on the shore of the largest lake in New England. Our site was large enough for tents and hammocks; which was nice to have options. The sites are also far enough away from each other that you dont feel like you're in an apartment building. Central bath and free shower house with laundry/dish sinks outside was an added bonus. Fire ring and table at each site. Rangers were super nice and helpful. Trails to beach area with a playground for the kiddos. Its pretty remote so make sure you have everything you need before venturing past Greenville. Take the drive up to(and past if you're real adventurous) Kokadjo for moose spotting.

Fun campground

Brought the family here for a nice Father’s Day weekend. Good place to bring the kids. The staff here were are friendly and very helpful for any questions or camping needs you had.Everyone had fun. Bathrooms were clean and plentiful. Lots of fun activities to keep everyone in the family entertained. The themed weekends are a neat concept and enjoyable.

Ranger review: GCI Roadtrip Rocker at Lily Bay State Park

Campground Review:

This large state park has two loops located on the shore of Moosehead Lake in Greenville Maine. Many of the sites are on or have a view of the water. They are large and, in general, private. The campground map includes letters to indicate the rig size each site can accommodate. Tent only sites generally require you to walk in from a parking area, many taking you closer to the water.  When I arrived, it was quite windy and I was grateful that my site in the Rowell loop was a little farther away from the water. The sites are wooded. Both loops have boat launches. There’s a playground and beach. At night you can enjoy the call of the loons; that was the only sound I heard at night during my stay, but I had few neighbors so early in the season (late May)

Because of its proximity to the water, the toilets in the loops are all vault toilets. There is a centralized bathroom with flush toilets, showers, and dishwashing sinks.

This is a great location for fishing and boating on the lake or nearby ponds, hiking peaks as part of the Pinnacle Pursuit in the greater Greenville area, exploring the B-52 crash site memorial, or seeking out moose on small ponds and logging roads. If you want some assistance finding moose, check out the moose tours that run out of Greenville, but you’ll likely have success at Lazy Tom Bog, the Maine DOT lot on your way into Greenville from the south, or on any of the logging roads at sunrise or dusk.

2-bar cell service on Verizon at some areas in the campground (I had coverage at my campsite, but not in the more central locations and not on Lily Bay Rd).

Product Review

As a ranger for the Dyrt, I sometimes get to review equipment that is useful when camping. During this trip, I was able to review a GCI Roadtrip Rocker. I already own (and love) a Freestyle Rocker and wanted to compare it to the Roadtrip.

The Roadtrip Rocker has a taller back and a deeper seat, so it’s more comfortable, providing greater support under the thighs. They both have a cloth pocket for holding drinks. The rocking mechanism seemed less consistent…depending on the terrain, it didn’t always seem to feel as smooth. Shorter friends found it less comfortable.

The Roadtrip folds up into a bag which means I can toss it into my camper without worrying that it will bring dirt in with it, but it’s heavy and tall. It does take a little longer to get it into the bag. They’re both great for sitting around a campfire.

First camping trip of the year .

This place is quite and clean and we would recommend this place.

Beautiful campground

Beautiful campground close to all the attractions