Alexander , KENTUCKY

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Alexander Camping Reviews
Lake views

Close to Cincinnati but each site is wooded and on lake front , lots to do!

Very nice small park and campground

My wife and I love this small state park. There are two main camping areas, wooded and shaded for smaller rv’s, trailers, tenters while the other section caters to larger RV’s and Motor homes with pull thru and longer pads. This section does have some trees but mostly sunny. There is one main bath house that is quite nice and kept clean. Several restrooms are scattered throughout with flush toilets. Camp hosts are friendly and helpful and do a great job of keeping the campground clean when folks leave. There is a small camp store, though its been closed this summer. There are places to get firewood and prices vary from $5-20 per bundle or stack. Marina is on the other side of the lake but only rents small boats and pontoons. The lake is limited to 9.9 hp motors. OK fishing from the beach area and docks. There are a few hiking trails and they do have cabins that have been updated recently. We are there several times a year camping with our teardrop.

Large Sites and very Quiet

Camping here midweek might not give us the full experience but it’s been a really quiet park. We are in site 151 and it’s a really large, level and dry site. We got some rain last night and today walking around we noticed lots of sites are very muddy. The hiking trails are nice and well marked. The nature center was closed due to COVID but it looked nice. We also had good cell coverage with Verizon.

Fabulous!

We spent 3 nights here for our maiden voyage as we picked up a new travel trailer from their local dealer, “Couch’s RV Nation”.  They had everything we needed for a pleasant stay.

Hidden little gem (Grateful we have this option)

https://www.milfordohio.org/departments/public_works_department/parks_and_recreation/milford_bike_trail.php(Here is the camping registration permit PDF)

I am in the process of booking this campsite for myself. My family was supposed to come down this summer but our summer plans have changed due to COVID-19.

This campsite can be very tricky to find the information to book it but when you drive past it you see a small green sign. It is down a road that is very steep. You would never think of such a cool spot tucked away in the back.

You have to go into town to book it or have a police officer register you. The local office is open Mondays thru Friday (8:30 - 4:30 PM).  The Milford government building is 745 Center Street Suite 200.  I would try calling them at 513-831-4192 during normal business hours. Heads up you don't enter via the front of the building as that is for police officers only. I usually go through the side doors.

The Milford bike trail is part of a paved bike path that is 76 miles long.  This campsite is tucked away as in across the street from the bike trail. As a Milford native, I didn't even know it was here for a long time.  You will hear traffic noise at this campsite as it is close to the main road and main bridge in town.

What you may not realize is right next to the campground is a mountain biking trail that is 1.2 miles long https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7015558/jim-terrell-park-trail so don't confuse this with the 76 mile paved bike trail across the street.  I don't bike this trail as that would not be wise with my coordination skills. However, I have hiked it several times. Just be careful as it does change at times due to flooding by the Little Miami.

It is also near the new very popular brewery. This is just a short walk from the campsite. https://www.littlemiamibrewing.com/ on weekends they are open till 12AM. You will most likely hear the folks hanging out across the river. This is a great spot to get some food.

Another option if you don't want the packed brewery scene is Padrino which is also on Main street (111 Main Street) in Milford. I like to order online and take the food to the community tables that have been recently set up due to COVID-19. I will say they do have my favorite patio in the back that most folks don't realize they have.

Or you can also go to two other spots tucked away for a quiet river front view as you eat away from the crowds at the brewery. Padrino is open Monday - Sunday from 11 AM - 9 PM.

The other tucked away spot is River Walk Park https://www.milfordohio.org/departments/public_works_department/parks_and_recreation/riverwalk_park.php

If it is rainy and you need a spot with shelter this is the spot I go to Riverside Park at https://www.milfordohio.org/departments/public_works_department/parks_and_recreation/riverside_park_(playground).php or https://www.milfordohio.org/departments/public_works_department/parks_and_recreation/memorial_park.php

The nice thing is that this camp site is close to the Milford Bike Trail as in one cross walk away. Tucked away by the Little Miami river. Bravo to Milford for having such a neat spot. I will often walk into town for ice cream. They do have a coffee spot but I don't get coffee at that spot. I always get hot chocolate.

**I will say that those of us that know of this spot will sometimes park here as it is less crowded than parking at the Milford bike trail (parking lot). I feel safer parking here as it is less crowded and a bigger space. I prefer to park here and walk to the paved bike trail.

Each year this trail keeps getting better and better. It is 76 miles long so if you are a person that likes to bicycle and camp this could be an option for you. The very same thing can be said if you like to boat. Check out the Little Miami river.

If you are camping and need to resupply I would recommend you go to https://roadsriversandtrails.com/  they also have a really cool rental program if you need to rent an item. https://roadsriversandtrails.com/rentals/  Note this is not a boat rental place but a great place to pick up any needed items related to camping or boating. They can be reached at 513-248-7787 and you can easily reach them from the campsite with a short walk if needed. They are at 118 Main Street in Milford Ohio. (Store hours Monday thru Sat is 10 - 8 PM and Sunday 12 - 6PM)

If you are biking and ran into issues the local bike shop a short walk away is at https://www.bishopsbicycles.net/articles/bishops-bicycles-oldest-bicycle-shop-in-the-usa-pg176.htm and they can be reached at 513-831-2521 (Store hours Tuesday through Friday 12 - 6PM or Sat 10 - 5PM) Do note that they are closed on Sundays and Mondays.  They are at 313 Main Street in Milford.

If you need to get more supplies Kroger is in Milford (We have two) the first one is a medium walk from the campground.  It is possible to walk to this Kroger safely due to sidewalks.  So be careful as to which one you pick in the GPS as that is a common issue.

For those bicycling, boating, or hiking through (long distance) the post office is not easily accessible from this section of town. I mention this as this spot is easily part of the Buckeye Trail, North Country National Scenic Trail, American Discovery Trail, Sea to Sea Long Distance, Underground Rail road Cycling Route, Ohio To Erie Cycling Route, Little Miami Scenic Trail, and Little Miami Scenic River.

An urban escape

A nice and clean campground tucked in an urban area. It was mostly RVs but a few tents were scattered around. The water recreation options are great (kayaks, fishing, paddle boats) and there is a very nice paved walking/bike path and giant splash pad that’s a short drive but still in the park. This is a great place for families.

We had spot 47 which was a nice, big, shaded spot with neighbors on only one side. We had a view of the water and enjoyed our morning coffee watching fish jump and turtles swim.

Family fun

Lots to do for families Nice size lots A variety of water stations

This Campground is Fantastic.

This Campground is Fantastic. My Wife and I camped here for the first time last September 2019, we Camped in a tent and it was just Beautiful there. We will be going back this year but this time we will be going in a Camper fhat we just bought. We can't wait to go back.

Thank you A.J. Jolly Campground.

This Campground is Fantastic.

Thank you A.J. Jolly Campground.

Excellent staff, well maintained

While the tent spots did not have a lot of shade, the sites are close to the lake and make for some wonderful sunsets. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful and all in all it was a great stay. We rented bikes from the camp store and swam at the beach which was conveniently close to the tent sites. Lots of fun and 10/10 would return again. I'm excited to come back and see how the young trees they have growing in the tent sites take off.