Mount Carmel, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Mount Carmel Camping Reviews
Nice campgrounds for the whole family!

There is plenty to do here for the entire family.. plus it has Holiday World right next door! Also it is a well up kept campground!

Great town, very quiet

Very humble rural park with a quiet atmosphere and Great Lake for fishing. The people of oblong are also the friendliest around!

A little slice of heaven

As a avid disc golfer. I absolutely love coming to the place for events. The permanent campers are super friendly. A beautiful lake with plenty of activities to do on it. Showers on site. Oh the disc golf course is top notice. One (if not best in the state)

Nice, kid and family friendly

This is a small campground. Campsites are tight but all centered around a decent sized bath house. There is a lot to do at this park, playgrounds, bike and walking trails and a good sized lake with a beach, all within walking distance. I would definitely do this one again.

Love it!

Stayed here over 4th of July weekend. Every site was booked so it was packed but the sites are comfortable size. Lots of activities were planned and we had so much fun! Loved the aquatic center!!!

One of our favorite places

This is one of our favorite places to camp. Very clean and lots for us to do!

Tailgate party

This was not a campground, it was a tailgate lot. Thought I was back in the Coke Lot before the Indy 500. Loud music at camp sites, people driving golf carts around playing loud inappropriate music, people driving around yelling at all hours of the night.

What's weird is that these people had no reason to do this. It seems they were being loud and obnoxious just for the sake of being loud and obnoxious. This campground seems to have this weird culture of showing off flashy golf carts. I was not impressed.

You would think the campground would try to control people a little bit but never saw an employee.

Proximity to Holiday world is awesome, facilities we're awesome. Just not a great CAMPING experience.

Great all around campground

Nice clean campground. Most sites are pretty large. Nice pool with water slide. They just need better walking trails.

Fun for the Family!

Very clean campground, with a great family vibe to it! I used to camp here when I was a kid, and it’s still just as wonderful as I remember.

The staff are incredibly helpful. There are options for all kinds of campers: RVs, tents, cabins. If you aren’t going next door to Holiday World, they have a decent size pool and slides, as well as an arcade and playground. There is a camp store as well as a pizza place located in the center of the campground.

For the camper who enjoys to be farther from their nearest neighbor, this place may not be for you. While campsites are spacious, you can see and hear your neighboring campers. :)

Lotsa trees

Ranger Review: Primus at Harmonie State Park

I recently visited Harmonie State Park near New Harmony, In. https://indianastateparks.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=IN&parkId=570048 Just a heads up when camping in Indiana there is a fee to visit the State Parks. I always carry cash for that , laundry and in some states bathroom use. So, the number one thing that stuck out to me about this campground was the shade. For the most part it’s level (floodplain…I saw no standing water) And all the sites are nicely shaded (we are talking full growth) and good size. The sites are electric only, no water, no sewer. There are centrally located water hydrants and a dump station on the way out of the campground. The campground wasn’t very full when we visited, but there is a plethora of activities to enjoy. An Olympic size pool which back in the day my kids woulda loved. Hiking paths (very wide), one right by the campground and a connector trail to the mountain bike trail area. There’s also a bike section on the paved roads. You could spend a comfortable week here and not be bored.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I get to occasionally try out outdoor products while camping and this trip I brought along some Primus “kitchen gear” https://primus.us/ . Primus is known for its camping stoves , the kitchen accessories are pretty sweet too. I have the Trailsporks , a long spoon , a spatula for grilling , campfire plates and a campfire knife. These are very sturdy made accessories and pack in my kit without taking up a lot of space. There are a lot of options on the site to fit your packing needs too, from family fireside to fastpacking . I’m building my fireside kitchen kit .

Sub-par campground

Cramped, hookups mis-placed and generally older and somewhat seedy. The county really needs to clean the campground up and evict some of the “Walt and Jessie” rv’s. It’s a jolt when you come up on it tucked in back by the bmx track. The park is a million times nicer than that campground.

Very clean and family friendly.

They have a great swimming pool. They do fun things for families to join in. They have bike trails all throughout for you to bike on. Very kid friendly!!

Fun!

Family had a blast here! Sites are on top of each other so be prepared when navigating and backing in. Site are level and full hook up. Tons to do and Holiday World is a shuttle ride away. Great family fun!

Large Spots, Very Shady

This campground has 200 sites, electric only. 4 nice bathhouses. Water stations throughout, can use to fill up but not stay connected to.  Most sites gravel, about a handful that are paved for handicap.

Has 3 different playgrounds throughout, recently updated. Nice nature center.

Park also has a pool, family cabins (10), and access to the river.

Family friendly near theme park

Lincoln State Park is usually packed.  It’s less than 10 miles away from Holiday World.  I think a lot of theme park visitors camp here.  I’ve stayed in both electric and primitive.  Bathhouses are kept clean and staff is friendly.  Book online using Reserve America to make sure site is available.

Edge of lower eastern Indiana

Over 200 gravel sites many sloping so choose wisely. I chose site 39 and it was close to level. Well spaced.Vault toilets and bathhouses. Only lower camp area bathhouse open before summer.Garbage bin overflowing. Fire pit, table, electric. Playgrounds. Water nearby. River with boat launch in park. Lots of bike trails. Large pool with water slide open in the summer. Same for nature center. Great trees. Quiet. Quirky little town of New Harmony nearby.

Harmomy state park

The camping has all the amenities a camper needs.

Fantastic

Nice trees and showers!

Great Family Fun and Adventure

Such a wonderful family oriented campground with excellent amenities. Pets are allowed and the sites are gravel or concrete. Relax at the pool, enjoy mini golf, playing at the game room, mining for gems, or shooting some hoops. There is also a shuttle that will take you to Holiday World. Don’t have an RV? Not an issue, choose a cabin, cottage, or stay in one of the rental RVs. They offer restrooms, showers, heat, kitchens and a lot more.

Edge of lower eastern Indiana

Nice

Not bad for this small town. Mountain biking trails are not kept up at all, logs across the two trails we have. We’ve tent camped and stayed in the cabins, both were good, pretty close to your neighbors though.

Small but Nice

We actually haven’t even come close to doing all Ouabache offers. It does have cabins and camping sites but we haven’t used those. There are a few, fairly short, but fun mountain biking trails as well as additional hiking trails. There are two different play areas as well.

Great Halloween Weekend for Kids

We stayed the weekend before Halloween. We missed reserving the weekend they have the campground trick or treating, which was the weekend before, but this was just as fun. Apparently that weekend has to be reserved the day reservations open for it. They had a trunk or treat in the pool parking lot and although there weren't a ton of vehicles, it was definitely enough for the kids to have fun trick or treating. Next time we'll be sure to park and hand out candy as well. There was also a hayride in the evening for a small fee and that included making smore's at the bonfire.

We camped with 3 other families and had adjacent sites that worked perfectly for us, plenty of space for the kids to play, although a little far from the playground.

Their hiking trails are nice, at least they were years ago when I camped here as a kid. The Wabash River has a great view, so be sure to check that out too. The little town of New Harmony is so quaint, you definitely have to stroll around town and visit the sites there! It's one of our favorites that is close to home

Beautiful camp

Very nice campground with electric and water.

This place is gorgeous!

This campground is just beautiful. We stayed here during one of the Halloween Camping Weekends and my kids loved it. Lots of friendly people and the whole campground got into the trick or treating. The lake is so gorgeous and I cannot wait to stay here in the summer to be able to enjoy the beach. Paddle boats and canoes were available for rent. We will be back!

Nice Lake, Not so great campground

We reserved here last minute for Memorial Day weekend, 2018. That said, we couldn't be choosy when it came to getting a site and we ended up with Site 8. It was literally on a culvert pipe on top of the ditch. Luckily we were camping with 3 other families a little ways down the campground so we did everything at their sites 11, 12, and 13, which were pretty spacious. Those were right along the trail down to the lake, so we were able to kayak nearby and it was a short walk to fish on the lake.

There are no restrooms, only pit toilets, so obviously no showers. The campground was pretty quiet for a holiday weekend so that was nice. The playground equipment was a short bike ride down the road, but right in the sun mid day so the equipment was too hot for the kids to play on until evening.

When I checked the info for the campground on ReserveAmerica, it said that it had a beach on the lake, but when we arrived we discovered there was no longer a beach. The lake was beautiful to kayak on though, lots of little fingers to explore and see the wildlife.

Overall not bad because we came with family, but would've been sorely disappointed if that wasn't the case. Probably won't be back

Away from it all

This campground only has a few full hookup sites maybe three, otherwise the sites have electric and there is a few water hookups along each of the loops to fill your potable tank with. This campground is easily three miles back from the front gate. It's quite, and peaceful. There are bath houses in between loops so there's a few and always one near by. My fiance and I have stayed here for a little over a month, sadly I was not able to try their pool out due to it already being closed for the season when we arrived. So far all the staff and maontance people have been super nice. One gentleman even gave me a ride to the front gate to pay for additional camping nights. Their is a nature center for the kids with a bunch of humming bird feeders. i myself travel with my plants and have a feeder as well. No where else have I seen so many hummingbirds there's a few at my feeder every day and I've captured really amazing pictures. I'd come back here in a heart beat.

Could have been great

We were really looking forward to this camp out but it didn't deliver. The sites are not clearly marked at all, you just kind of pull into the grass somewhere by a power pole. No sewer hookup, but there is a dump station. The grass was cut and there were picnic tables and fire rings sporadically left around the grassy areas. This would be great for a group of tents, not so much a camper. The park had just remodeled and updated their bath/shower houses right before we camped, but someone had vandalized/burned up the inside by the time we got there. So there were no bathrooms. There were showers available at the city pool in the park, but only during pool hours. The little toot railroad which the city touts was closed- the tressles were rotted and torn out of the tracks. So that was disappointing. In short, not much to do, and the bathrooms were a let down, but the camp was quiet and peaceful- and there was a Walmart close by for supplies.

Good campground

This is a pretty good campground but it’s butted up to Holiday World. A little noise from that can get on your nerves if you want to listen to the great outdoors. But if you’re looking for a campground by a theme park this is right up your alley.

Good campground, trails not pet friendly

I just want to start by saying this is a really neat park. The only problem that I have with it is if you have a dog there’s only one trail that is dog friendly. The campground itself is nice. Primitive is available. But nice campground.