Homer, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Homer Camping Reviews
Remote, in a good way

Lincoln Trails State Park is located near Marshall, Il just across the Indiana border. It is a quiet little area (at least when we visited) and made for a relaxing visit.

Two campground areas, Lakeside was closed (possibly due to season/standing water) showerhouses are closed November 1st through May 1. Otherwise there is full hookup available at Plainview and the sites are nice and flat. There is a nice fire ring to gather at in the campground and some room around your site for stuff. I like the outer sites, more privacy. Not that that was an issue in November. The on site restaurant was closed when we visited but sits right on the water. Would make for some nice views. We hiked, the trails were sometimes challenging to follow with the leaves on the ground . With no foliage there was a lot more to see of the topography and natural features. Nearby is the town of Marshall which offers some interesting history, artwork and painted lions, definitely worth a walkabout!

Beautiful park and trails

Love that this was voted the best campground in Indiana by The Dyrt because that is just how I felt about our stay. Great hiking trails plus a lodge with gift shop and restaurant.

Many of the sites are a good size and level but not all of them are, so be cautious if you are reserving and not familiar with the sites. In April, we practically had the entire campground to ourselves! The ranger was obviously not busy so he came over to talk to us for a while. We especially liked the hike to the covered bridge and exploring the sandstone canyons. The suspension bridge was fun too! We saw birds, a profusion of beautiful wildflowers and (not so beautiful) wild turkeys. We would love to return in the fall.

Quiet place

Stayed overnight here… it was fairly quick of the highway. Easy in and easy out. Did check out the facilities.

The best!

We really enjoyed staying at this campground. We unfortunately took the wrong route on a trail and ended up hiking almost 5 miles in the rain but it was amazing! The hike was incredibly beautiful and there were so many others on the trail with us. Campsite was very nice and everyone was very helpful!

Lovely last camping trip of the season

Giving this 4 stars for the awesomeness of the sites themselves. We were in 121. All of the sites we saw in our “loop” were super wide, all gravel and quite level. So well kept…..fire pit with grate, large picnic table….really, the site couldn’t have been better. Beautiful views of the lake! Just all-in-all a well maintained park. So, why not 5 stars? I really wanted good shore fishing and not only was it a long walk, but really not very good/easy to get to, or comfortable standing once you get there. Beautiful dog parks….one for large dogs and one for small, but again, a long walk from the campground. Not feasible for our older dog. One other thing, absolutely no lighting at night along the campground roadways. After dark, we watched a truck go into the ditch looking for the turn out (granted, the occupants sounded like they were well into partying), but the pitch darkness at night made it feel a little unsafe, especially walking the dog after dark. Still, the sites themselves are awesome.

Very Pretty.

The place is beautiful. It is very busy on the weekends. My husband and I walked the rope bridge and climbed the ladders. There was a lot of bottle necking at the ladders, due to all of the foot traffic.  I would advise going on a weekday, if possible. I was also disappointed to learn tgat we could not bring our own kayaks. As a whole, we did have a great time and would definitely come back. On a weekday.

Super nice

2 different campgrounds to choose from within the park. Plainview has the shower house. A few low spots that hold water, so one has to pick their site accordingly! Very quiet!

Great Place To Get Away

My first time was ruff.. just for the fact I brought my two youngins and my two dogs..That was a lil overwhelming but I did enjoyed myself.. definitely looking forward to going back..possibly without the kids or dogs

Quick getaway

Great camp host!  Bathrooms are ok.  This is a small campground and park.  Never had a bad time here!

Another adventure

I thought the campsites were crammed together.  The primitive looked nicer but we were in our camper and wanted electric.  It’s a nice place but I like a little more space.

Nice place close to Turkey Run State Park

I stayed at one of the primitive tent sites. It was nice and shaded. As the other reviewer pointed out, further away from the entrance will get you away from the road noise. The shower house was very clean and well kept.

I would definitely stay here again. I would just select a site toward the back.

A wonderful campground

Enjoy the many beautiful shady spots and a few full hooks. The shower houses are very clean and a really nice big beach.

Very Peaceful

Turkey Run has one of the most peaceful campgrounds. It is nestled in the woods, away from big cities and you truly get to enjoy nature. They always have activities for the kids and they have some of the best hiking trails.

Best campground, hands down

Incredible people who will gladly be your new best friend, super clean, Great Lake to be on, tons of trails to hike.

Nice but...

It’s a nice campground but it’s usually insanely busy. Holidays are crazy. I’ve heard people say you can sometimes get a nice, fairly secluded spot but I haven’t had the patience to try. We honestly try to avoid large crowds.

Very beautiful

Great trails. Not too difficult so definitely beginner friendly. Campsites in the area are also very pleasant, just be sure to book ahead as they fill up fast.

Camp Ground for Fishermen

Large body of water. Not really clean enough to enjoy swimming. Campsites are a little cramped. We have stayed here a few times with our camping club.

There is a boat club near by. Gibson City has a great drive in movie theater and German Restrurant. Gibson is about 20 minutes from the camp ground.

Only electric hook ups.

Great camping for out door enthusiasts

Campground is well maintained. Clean bathrooms. Large level sites. They offer great activities such as movies, float trips, kayaks, canoes, paddle boats. Snack shop on site. They also have live entertainment at times at the stage by the snack shop.

Wooded area with nice picnic spots. Newer playground equipment. Hiking trails. Lots of fishing areas.

Highly recommend this camp ground.

Closed

It would seem this campground is no longer operational.

Nice family place

Nice place no alcohol. 'Lake' has had a lot of algae over the last couple years

Nice little campground if

A great little park close to Eastern Illinois university. A great place to camp with family and friends.

Great park with full hook ups.

Geat place to camp on Lake Shelbyville with full hook up sites. Only down fall is some of the full hook up sites are directly in the sun.

Average midwestern state campground

Several loops.  Tent loops are pretty much open fields.  We stayed in a loop with electrical hook up.  Sites are level and there are trees through out the campground.  Sites on the interior of the loop can be close to the one behind it so check your site carefully before you choose it.  Bathrooms are older but clean.  Shower does not allow for adjustment of water temperature.  Hiking trails are not well marked except for the mountain biking trails, which were well marked.

Terrific State Park

Will definitely stay here again. Not that far off the interstate 70 and a great campground. Level sites with growies between sites. Cell signal is off and on, but got us through. Pulled in on a Saturday in June and have available sites. $20 per night isn't bad for a nice campground with nice showers and facilities.

Beat Primative Campground

We experienced a strong thunderstorm while we were at the campground but because of how well the canopy is above the sites we stayed with a fire the whole time. Some sites have a lot of privacy and some have a little less. This would be a great place to have a few groups go together as little pathways between sites would be nice. We did some hiking and it was enjoyable for us as there were some nice views and we didn’t run into too many people. This campground is a bit away from Turkey Run. It was nice to be in a primitive campground as people actually got out and talked to one another.

Great for all

Neat geological features and water features. More than enough trails to explore and adequate camping. Went in mid-september, probably a little too late in the season it was starting to get too cold at night but the trees were pretty.

Highway haven

Super easy on and off the highway. With that you do get some noise but not too bad.

Office staff is very friendly and efficient. Full hookup sites. Wifi is available. Playground and dogrun for the pets.

The pond is 1/2 mile walk around. Bathrooms we clean.

If you need to get off the road and get some rest give them a try. Just north of town and you will be back on the road in no time.

Keep it dry

Nice CG. No booze signs posted, take it serious! Watched a ranger evict and entire group late in the evening for drinking. They weren’t being rowdy but we’re breaking the rules. Nice place to canoe!

Great hiking trails

Some sites can be small and it fills quickly. So get there early to get the best sites or make a reservation

Great Trails and Paddling

Campground is super basic but the access to trails and paddling is amazing. This park is severely underfunded so don’t expect much for amenities. That said it’s a great place to setup for a weekend on the trails.