About Ochlockonee River State Park
Ochlockonee River State Park is located in Florida
30 N
2 Reviews of Ochlockonee River State Park
Remote and quiet

Set back in palms and live oak, the campground is private with some sites very private and others not at all. The best sites seemed to be #7-9 and #18-21 as they have the best privacy, are close to the river, and are completely set back from the main loop. Sites closest to the bathroom have to contend with hearing the bathhouse fan (although light from the bathroom didn't seem to be an issue). Unfortunately I ended up with the last sight available, #26, right next to the end of the bathrooms with the fan. Good thing I travel with earplugs. On the plus side, my site was a pull through so coming and going was very simple.

There are some really nice trails along both the Ochlockonee and Dead Rivers, as well as a pretty scenic drive that is "paved" with wood chips, which makes it perfect for hiking. While I didn't see any gators, there were signs warning about them. I did see several deer, a raccoon, and some lizards.

Town is about twenty minutes away if you need anything. There are several bars and restaurants as well as an IGA grocery. You can even find services offering boat rentals.

White sands on the Ochlockonee River

This is a pretty nice campground. It is flat and sandy, with lots of palms and shrubbery dividing most spaces. We tent camped, but there were hammock posts at our site, as well as the usual fire ring and picnic table, and a water spigot. Our site was very roomy. There are tons of sand squirrels here--as soon as we got in, we took to the bath house (nice); when we came back our neighbors had weighted down our food totes as those (really cute, white) squirrels (read: jerks) had already tried to get into our food. I appreciated that the tent camping sites were clumped together so there wasn't an RV right on top of us.

The campground is right next to the river, which is part of the Ochlockonee River Paddling Trail (the lower part, map 5 I think). There is a very flat walking/biking trail with historical facts posted periodically, which goes around the small park, a swimming area in the river, a playground. Nearby there is another walking trail, for birding. There are no real strenuous activities here, I would say. There is a lot of neat flora and fauna (white deer!). There is also less neat fauna--horse flies. They bite and it hurts like heck. Cover up, with clothing or spray. No sitings of those big reptiles with teeth and dino tails.

Sopchoppy is the nearest town. There isn't a lot to do here, it's pretty remote. There is at least one fish shack. Head into Apalachicola for oysters, craft beer, beaches, etc.