Equestrian
Private
Hike In
Great Sand Dunes Oasis is located in Colorado
18 Reviews of Great Sand Dunes Oasis
Pricey for what you get...

This place charges PER Person, including kids, which is extortion! We were charged $36 a night for a camp site that was in terrible shape. We actually drove into town to buy a rake so we could clean up all the trash left around. We were also told because they don't have metal fire rings, fires we're not allowed during a class 1 fire ban. Seems that with the crazy rates they charge, they could upgrade the sites with this feature. We also were appalled with how costly everything was at the store. $3.75 for a 10lb bag of ice. $20 for a board rental and due back by 7 (you can really only be on the dunes in morning and evening so much of the day you can't use the boards). I have definitely stayed in fabulous campgrounds with less amenities for less cost. Unfortunately, they have a captive customer base because Pinon Flats are always full. So in conclusion, if they continue to charge such high prices for their sites, clean them up, upgrade the fire pits and then maybe the cost would be worth it.

Excellent Service, Amenities, & Sunsets

Everyoneeryone working at the Oasis super friendly! They sell just about everything you might need or want, and you can rent boards at reasonable prices for the whole day. The showers, bathrooms, and laundry are immaculately clean, and spacious, and there's a potable water accessible everywhere. Unfortunately, tent campers can't access the swimming pool, but the showers stay warm so it's enough to get clean, eat dinner, and go straight to sleep! Campsites are close enough to respect neighbors' privacy but the trees keep everyone shaded and also far enough apart to be quiet. There are big, black ants running around all over the place, but they don't bite…they'll just crawl all over you in you sit still along their path. The trees also drip sap randomly, we noticed, but it wasn't a bother.

Rocky Campground

The roads are really rocky. The views are really pretty. It was nice to find a campsite with a shower after 2 nights without one.

Crowded and staffed by teenagers

The campground itself was ok. The views were great, the facilities were nice, clean, and extensive (they have a laundry room, restaurant, and gas pumps in addition to typical facilities), the sites could have used some maintenance though; some trees needed to be trimmed, tent sites could have used some leveling, roads needed to be scraped. While I frequently camp in, and enjoy, primitive sites with all the above issues, I don’t particularly enjoy paying $20 a night for a primitive level site in a developed campground. The campground, with at least 100 sites, was quite full when I arrived around 7:30 pm on a weekday. I stopped at the restaurant/store to enquire about camping and was told by a teenager manning the counter that it was past the security booth and then said nothing more, so I assumed I payed and got a map at the booth. After driving through the booth and realizing no one was there I continued on to find a site and set up before headIng back down to pay only to realize the store closes at 8:00. Not a big deal for me personally, but the campsite could have lost money if I weren’t an honest person due to the incompetent attitude of their staff. My suggestion is to arrive early in the day if possible and save your time and money by camping at one of the free primitive sites in the park. The morning after camping, I drove up the mountain on the primitive road and passed many empty campsites. You do need a 4 wheel drive, high clearance vehicle to reach them and need to reduce tire pressure to 20-30 psi, but the views are so worth it! (just a note: the rangers suggest filling them back up once past the sand but DON’T. It is a very rocky climb after the sand and you could easily pop a tire!) One of the rangers told me all the campsites along the mountain road are free and from a glance they looked better maintained and more comfortable than the Oasis campground! Just make sure to take water as they are truly primitive, with just a fire ring and bear locker.

it all depends where you camp if there will be toilets or not but, either way this place is breath taking.

1 night

Super friendly staff. Sites are well spaced. We had a beautiful view of the Sand dunes.

Great view of the dunes and easy walk to the creek and dunes

It was fun being right close to the dunes and creeks. Campfire rings and site were really nice.

Great Sand Dunes

This is a privately owned spot with many amenities for campers and also sand board rentals for the Dunes. We have only camped in the dispersed area. In season there is a rail car for bathrooms in the dispersed area, otherwise you'll need to use the facilities where the RV's park. IT is quiet but the camp spots can be close together. both times we have been here, we had deer walk thru our site. You also have great views of the dunes in most spots and the 14ers near Crestone.