About Prospector Campground
National Forest
Prospector Campground is located in White River National Forest in Colorado
15 Reviews of Prospector Campground
Beautiful and clean

We had a great stay at Prospector Campground. Host was very nice, bathrooms were extremely clean, and the site is beautiful! We will be back!

Best view on this side of the mississippi

We reserved our site 6 months in advance to make sure we would have a great view of the lake and mountains. And it paid off! This is one of the best campgrounds I have been to. Close distance to the lake, where you will find all kinds of people laying on the rocks enjoying the sunset, dogs playing in the lake, and kayakers enjoying the water. I highly suggest Prospector Campground in Dillon, Co.

Great campground, close to town

Great campground by lake Dillon and very close to the town but seems like you are miles from them. Campgrounds and restrooms were very clean and they aren’t to close together. Close to hikes and lots of fishing.

Great Location, Spectacular Views

The snow on the peaks of the surrounding mountains still inviting to late season skiers when I visited this campground in early June. The crisp morning air refreshing, quickly warming in mid morning. Because of the time of year my walk-in mid week visit had only a couple of the 100 +sites occupied. Weekends per the camp host were booked in advance. Primitive yet oversized individual sites, some with amazing lake and mountain views (D Loop). Large metal picinic table, bbq and fire ring at each site. Bath houses have tower toilets. No hookups at this campground. No store but firewood was for sale.

Awesome Mountain and Lake views

This is a really big campground. The sites are big, they are spaced a fair distance apart, and the views are big as well. The campground sits above Lake Dillon with views looking west towards multiple peaks. You can see mountains from every site thanks to the campground being in an area of regrowth. The trees are only a couple feet tall in some areas. Sites on the western side also have lake views. I stayed at this campground in May and it wasn’t crowded at all. It was a little chilly, but the sites are large so really great for car camping. I actually stayed here so that I could snowboard at Breck and A Basin. Much cheaper than a hotel, and it’s pretty dang cool to camp and ski in the same day!

Large campground near Lake Dillon

This campground has 100+ spots and costs about $23/night. They have picnic tables at each site and where we were, there was plenty of space between us and the next group. We could walk (about 8 minutes) to the lake - without a clear trail from our site.

It it does not require 4-wheel drive to get in

Amazingly beautiful, spacious, and well-kept

This campground is probably one my absolute favorites! The view in itself is enough to make me want to come back, but the campground was impressive as well. The campground has a large number of sites, all with plenty of room, and all located within reasonable distance from bathrooms and the lake. The campground truly encompasses the idea of camping, which is something we really enjoyed. We had no running water, no electricity, and the bare minimum for a bathroom; it was a great place for us to simply relax, settled down for the night, and enjoy the beauty of the place we were in.

Peaceful

Great campground with easy access. Nice little getaway from Denver. Easy to access and right near a huge lake. Hiking trails available. Great views at sunset. Camped with a huge group and was able to have space between all tents. Love this campground

Amazing lake and mountain views

This is a great family friendly campground. Look for the sites with a lake view (all though many you have to trade off a view for being next to the bathrooms) a quick hike down will get you to lake Dillion for fishing, kayaking or just enjoying the views.