Equestrian
About Wawona - Yosemite National Park
Fee Info
Each campsite at Wawona campground contains a fire ring, picnic table, a food locker, and is near a bathroom with drinking water and flushing toilets. The group site has five food lockers. Wawona campground has 93 tent and RV sites, 1 group site, and 2 horse sites. Wawona campground is about an hour drive away from Yosemite Valley.
Reservation Info
Loop A: Normally all year, however, closed October 2019 through March 2020 for sewer upgrades Loops B and C: Approximately April through September Group site: All year Horse sites: Approximately April through September
National Park Service
No Market
Wawona - Yosemite National Park is located in California
31 Reviews of Wawona - Yosemite National Park
The quiet zone of Yosemite

Loved this campground.  At first, when booking, I was upset I wasn't able to get a site in the Valley area.  After arriving to Yosemite I couldn't be more thrilled to have stayed at Wawona.

Yes, it is a bit of a drive to get to the valley but the drive is beautiful when it is not jammed packed with cars.

I booked site 34 located in loop B.  It's a small site and it is slopped but there is a nice level spot for a smaller tent.

Had decent trees to break up the space between campsites.  With 34 you only have one campsite next to you.  The river is in clear view and a very short walk to get to it.

If you have seen any of my other reviews you will see, I'm all about the fishing so most of my sites, if possible, will be along rivers/streams/creeks.

Each site had a bear box, picnic table and fire ring.  Flush toilets and running water to fill up your containers.

Even though the campground was filled, you wouldn't have known it.  Very quiet and peaceful.  Some sites are closer to the road and I'm sure have road noise.  34 the only noise was the babbling river.

Amazing experience

I like the place. Specially in the night. I like the way they have safety things.

Good last minute campsite

We have stayed at Wawona a few times. We only stay there if we have not reserved a site in advance. You can visit the camp office and see if they have any openings the day of your arrival. It is close to the road so there is some noise from it. The river runs close to the campground. It is about one hour from Yosemite Valley.

All-Time Favorite

It’s in Wawona where I discovered my love of the outdoors. It’s close enough to the valley for a day trip down there. There is so much to do in Wawona too though! It’s also really close to the Redwoods. It is a prime spot for a Yosemite trip.

Second Best.

Booking a site in Yosemite valley can be difficult because it’s so busy and popular. Wawona is a great way to stay in the park and get the Yosemite experience. We set up camp and then drove about 40 minutes to Glacier point for sunset. The drive is amazing so its no bother leaving the site for such a breath taking view.

Visit in May

Visited in May last year. Campground was very empty when we camped. Nice location along the Merced River. Campsites have tree cover but aren’t super private. Bathrooms are primitive, but in good condition. Provides good access to Yosemite Valley and Glacier Point. Use bear boxes, bears were active in the area while we visited.

Beautiful but busy

The campsites are lovely with some privacy. The bathrooms are adequate. Everyone seems to stay up late and wake early to enjoy the park. Be prepared for some traffic and long drives to places within the park. The bear lockers are easy to use and convenient. Ultimately, it is stunning!

A Family Favorite

Wawona has been our yearly family vacation destination since I was a kid. We never grow tire of it! The river and swimming holes are close by and accessible to all, sites have ample space between each other, there are clean restrooms, and all sites have their own bear box. There's a local store nearby in case you need to pick up something. The road to the valley from Wawona is windy, I'd say about 45 minutes. It's a nice play to stay away from the Yosemite crowds and we'll keep coming back year-after-year.

camping by the creek

This campground is a nice jumping off spot for lots of the fun stuff to do around Wawona. Jump in the creek for a swim or walk across the road and check out the covered bridge and barn around the pioneer history center. Swimming holes all up and down those creeks. In high tourist season it is worth stopping at Wawona hotel and having a drink and listening to the Piano player in the eve.

Wawona - Yosemite without the crowds!

Yosemite is one of my very favorite places in The world, but I have yet to camp in Yosemite Valley. One, the valley campgrounds fill up IMMEDIATELY when registration opens in March of each year, and two, I do prefer to be in quieter campgrounds with more space in and between sites. Wawona is within the gates of Yosemite National Park, and is about 25 minutes away from the valley floor - it’s not too far of a drive, but it’s on the windy mountainous Highway 41 into Yosemite.

Wawona is located next to the Merced River, so I chose a riverside campsite. The river was by no means at the heels of the site, but it was less than 50 yards away at the time we were there, and we were there in drought conditions.

Wawona has nice clean bathrooms and we had our own bear bin in our campsite. Camping amongst the trees and next to the Merced was gorgeous and peaceful, and I recommend it it anyone who does not want to camp like sardines in the Yosemite Valley.

CAUTION: be extremely aware of bears while camping in Yosemite National Park! Each campsite in Wawona has a bear bin - USE YOUR BEAR BIN! Bears are known to break into cars to snack from coolers or any food or toiletries are left out. The bear bins are quite large, so coolers do fit inside - bears can still smell food in coolers inside of cars, and apparently recognize a cooler when they peak into your car windows. If you have to leave your cooler in the car, it is suggested that you cover it up with towels or gear to hide it from site. On the same note, do not leave any of your toiletries or snacks inside the tent with you. In general it seems that the rangers seem to have good control over the bears that have been tagged and are constantly monitored, but not all bears are tagged, and even the tagged bears will make their way into Yosemite campgrounds. Be smart and safe in bear country!

CAMPSITE SPECS

Fees: $26/night peak ($18/night non-peak)

Plumbed Toilets: Yes