Standard (Tent/RV)
About Tie City Campground

The campground is comprised 17 campsites in a single tear-drop loop. Some sites are nestled in a dense grove of aspen, fir and spruce, others are in a grassy meadow. The interior road is narrow and rough in places. The campground is convenient to a network of challenging mountain bike trails. There are nearby corrals. Tie City was named for the railroad men who cut the ties for the Union Pacific Railroad from this forest.

National Forest
No Water Hookups
Max Length: 32 ft.
Tie City Campground is located in Wyoming
Directions
From Laramie, take Interstate 80 east 9.5 miles to WY 210 (Exit 323). Turn onto Exit 323 and go left at stop sign onto WY 210/ Happy Jack Rd, then 0.1 miles to Happy Jack Recreation Area sign. Turn left at sign (staying on WY 210) and go 1 mile to campground sign, then turn right.
2 Reviews of Tie City Campground
4th choice turned out first rate

We had checked out three other camps in the area before trying this one. They were all full or lacked phone service which was necessary for me to submit some files.

We rolled through Tie City about 3:00 on a Friday and got the second to last spot left. It was a great spot. Not sure why it had been passed over, but we enjoyed it.

Saw two deer at the check in point. Friendly neighbors. Didn’t seem like many were “living there” like a lot of dispersed camps we drove through.

Lots of bear warnings, so we took lots of precautions. If they passed through in the night we didn’t notice.

AT&T and Verizon service were solid…actually have line of sight to a tower.

It is close to the interstate and you could hear road noise, though I didn’t notice it until after dark. Wasn’t bad for me. Didn’t cause trouble for any of us sleeping.

Upon leaving I saw some had setup camp at the overflow parking for the trail. Not sure it is intended for that, but in a pinch I guess they made do.

Last minute road trip

We decided to head out of Colorado….I know right? And we ended up here for the night! Campsites are very spacious and clean. Each site has a fire pit and picnic table.

By complete accident we were up there for the perseid meteor shower! Great open view of the sky! Thoroughly enjoyed our little escape!

Black Friday Gift: 6 months of FREE PRO camping features. Get Your Gift