Standard (Tent/RV)
RVs and Trailers
No Sewer Hookups
Nelson Dewey State Park is located in Wisconsin
10 Reviews of Nelson Dewey State Park
Dyrt has the wrong location for this park

See title

All around decent site

I camped in 18 in early August. The site itself was sloped away from the road making it feel tucked into the trees. The downside was that the only flat space for the tent was very close to the fire pit. As a hammock camper, this was not a good site. The trees were far from the cleared area making a hammock hard to set up. Facilities were great and the mosquitoes we're almost non-existent. Great location for a larger group or multiple tents.

The only thing you need to be aware of: there is a train track very close. The train runs very regularly and can be loud. For me, it was the city noise I needed to fall asleep.

Super Clean

Clean restrooms, park and trails. Good views of the Mississippi while hiking. Trails are good for beginners and moderate hikers

Amazing!

Stayed here at site D for two nights - the site was great, with gorgeous views of the Mississippi, tons of different birds coming by, and just enough room for our giant tent and a couple of hammocks. Even got a nice view of the milky way! The site is maybe 200 feet or so from the parking, and there are big plastic wheelbarrows you can use to haul your gear. The park had the perfect number of trails for us to tackle with our 5 and 10 year old, but not much else to do (which was fine with us). We did end up doing a short canoe trip on the Grant River which was also great. There's an agricultural museum across the way, but was closed due to covid. There were a lot of trains, but that never really bothered me - but it was noticeable if you're sensitive to that kind of thing.

Beautiful Quiet Campground

Most campsites have privacy and are quiet due to being a smaller park. Bathrooms and showers are modern and clean. Grant River near by to go tubing on hot summer days.

Best bluff views

Had a hike on site on the bluff. Stunning views and very secluded. Carts available for hauling in your gear. Hiking trails, fire wood for sale on site. Bathrooms very nice, showers like new! Lots of picnic sites along the bluff.

Beautiful View of the Mississippi River

The site we chose (41) was set back from the road a bit, and the tall ground cover provides some privacy. However, the main road to the campground and picnic area runs behind the site and can get busy during the day.

The firewood onsite is reasonably priced and stored in a shed, so it's dry as can be. Dont pick up wood in Cassville… it's low quality and was damp the day we visited.

The flush toilets and showers were clean, and the showers have been recently remodeled. The showers are free, too, which was a welcome change over the campgrounds we've visited in the past.

The most unexpected and negative thing about this campground was the nearby trains. There are trains running nearby with blaring horns 24 hours a day. Train horns nearly on the half-hour did not make for a restful night.

The views of the Mississippi are incredible, and the park is well-maintained, but I would honestly recommend this as a day trip stop rather than a campground.

Small, Quiet, Spectacular Views

Nelson Dewey State Park is located about 1 miles north of Cassville Wisconsin in the Southwestern corner of the state on the border of Wisconsin and Iowa. Across the street from the park is The Stonefield State Historic Site which is worth checking out if your visiting the park. This park is a quiet park and offers spectacular overlook views of the Mississippi River and wonderful hiking trails. When entering the park you will check in with the small but welcoming park office. This road will take you straight to the campgrounds! The group campground is on your right before just before the long climb up to the family campground and walk in sites. The group camp is primarily open camping with some trees but I would say these are some of the smaller group camps I have seen. There are pit toilets and multiple water stations on the grounds. As you climb up the hill and make it to the top, you will either take a left to the lookout areas or right toward the family campground. The family campground does have 4 walk-in sites also. I prefer to camp the 24-31 loop but I can't say this park offers the best campsites. The restroom were recently remodeled and are modern an welcoming especially the showers. The showers are in the same building and room as the restrooms but don't let that discourage you, there is still privacy. To sum this campsite up, it is smaller than its northern sister park, Wyalusing, but on a much smaller scale and much less to do. There is no boat launch or swimming and other than flush toilets and showers this campground offers the minimal. If you like small, quiet and camping this park is perfect. Just bring what you need as there is not much in the area for necessities.

So beautiful!!

Ranger Mark is awesome! He helped me with firewood and helpful facts for the weekend. Like Walmart is 40 min. - 20 miles away. Lol Cassville is a small and expensive town.

The walk-in, non electric campsites are gorgeous!! Campsite C and D are my favorite. Putting the view of the Mississippi River in rare form…if you are looking to get either site book it now.. it fills up fast! I had my site reserved for 6 months!!

Nelson Dewey

I camped in the family campground for one night on a bike trip through Wisconsin and Iowa. I enjoyed conversing with neighbors. The campsite itself was nice. I was able to hang my hammock between two large trees and stay dry during an insane thunder and lightening storm. The bathroom facilities were nice as well. I will return to Cassville someday.