Standard (Tent/RV)
About Twin Lakes - Leadville Primitive

Camp near Leadville beside alpine lakes at this primitive camping spot in Leadville at 10,00 feet of elevation! Twin Lakes campground Colorado is equipped for tents or boondocking with a stone fire pit and level ground. Beware the road leading up to it is not paved.

Pull into a campground near Leadville and Twin Lakes, Colorado, for a convenient place to pitch your tent, hook up your RV, find a hot shower, and enjoy a peaceful night in the woods.

Hike In
No Water Hookups
Twin Lakes - Leadville Primitive is located in Colorado
12 Reviews of Twin Lakes - Leadville Primitive
Awesome spot!

I would say my first dispersed camping experience was a success. It was a bit cold but definitely a experience worth having for my family. Definitely worth a stop if you're traveling across country.

Worth the stay!

I spent one phenomenal afternoon and night here, it is just after you come down the mountain pass. The views were literally surreal! My dog and I spent some time down on the beach throwing the tennis ball and then the evening up on the mountain site.

Things to know: •Verizon has service there •There is a general store close but it was closed fairly early and I wouldn’t rely on that, make sure your cooler is full! •There are some vault toilets down the road 10 min near the general store. •Roughly an hour (20 miles) from Aspen. •Rough terrain but not for long, paved up to the sites then rocky as you pull off into your spot. •I saw small pull behinds there.

Beautiful dispersed camping spot!

This was a fantastic spot with stunning views. You drive up a paved road and then look for camp sites in the trees when you see cars pulled over on the side of the road. There are rock rings in the trees to help you identify spots. Leave your car on the paved road unless you have a high clearance vehicle. Get there early on a Friday to get a spot with a view of the lake and mountains!

Awesome Camping & Hiking

Dispersed primitive camping area. There is room for larger rigs at the bottom by the stream, and lots of great off-roading sites further up. This is at 9,000ft + so beware of altitude sickness. Cell reception is minimal.

Beautiful Views - Very Peaceful

We had a wonderful time camping along the Twin Lakes beach! A high clearance vehicle is preferred but we made do without one. There’s plenty of drive-in campsites, but we opted to haul our gear to a secluded spot on the beach. It was definitely worth it! The views were incredible and in the morning we hopped right into the crystal clear water.

We’ll be back to this spot again for a longer weekend because 1 full day isn’t enough!

Free Campground, Great Views

There are about a dozen sites up here. Would definitely recommend a higher clearance vehicle but some are easy to get to. Sites are pretty close together.

Gorgeous views

Nice camp ground, gorgeous views day or night. I didn’t do so good fishing but heard it’s great.

Perfect camp spot in Twin Lakes

Camp site perched up above the lake. Awesome view

Breathtaking Free Campsite

Wow. Totally worth checking this out. There were plenty of other free spots at lower elevation but the view here is worth it. You drive up the mountain and then it’s a very short dirt road to the sites(about 5 in total). My little Saturn car was able to make it with 2 wheel drive easy. No water or amenities. Campfire rings and spots for tents. I wouldn’t bring an rv up there. Enjoy!!

Camped with a view of the lakes

lots of places to pull off the road, can get crowded during weekends in the summer so get there early to grab a good spot if you want a view of the twin lakes.