Yurts
Hike In
Palo Duro Canyon State Park is located in Texas
55 Reviews of Palo Duro Canyon State Park
Camping/ hiking

Amazing camp ground, wonderful hikes get out and explore the canyon and find some hidden gems like a slot canyon!

Great camping. Absolutely beautiful place. Was pretty empty when I was here. Great hiking and perfect sunsets. Would stay again.

Beautiful, nice sites, peaceful

A true gem of a park in Texas. Hard to reserve sites, but worth planning for. HOT in the summer.

Hot

The land scape is gorgeous

windy but beautiful views

I stayed here in college back in 2013 during a class trip to Palo Duro and absolutely enjoyed it. Great hiking trails. The place we camped was nice. It was a group campground, but the only bad thing that happened during the trip was the wind picked up at night and nearly blew a few of our tents away. Some people couldn't sleep in their tents any longer and moved to our group van we drove out to Palo Duro. The next morning, the wind had died down, and I took a little morning hike to enjoy the sunrise. Definitely a great time. My friends and I used a Dutch oven to make some apple pie at the campground.

All around beautiful

Spent 2 nights and 3 days in the canyon with my dog. It was during the week and I wasn’t allowed to do a two night and had to move camp sites which was annoying and why I took off a star. Besides that great stay and great hikes with scenic views.

Beautiful State Park

We stayed here for 2 nights in early May 2019. We stayed in the Hackberry campground. The park was completely full, and we grabbed the last spot 30 ft spot available. This park is beautiful, and I can see where it gets it name “ The Grand Canyon of Texas”. They had some rain recently when we there so everything was green and beautiful against the canyon walls. We didn’t have much time since we were only able to stay two nights, but I feel we were able to explore enough in those two days. I would recommend doing to the hike to Lighthouse Rock. 2.7 miles one-way and then when you get there, it’s about another .4 hike up to the area where you can see it. I would also recommend you go to the Big Cave. Very short walk for that and neat. The park has a 10% grade and all campgrounds are at the bottom of the canyon. We had no trouble in our 30 ft travel trailer with our Ram 2500. The visitor center had a disappointing selection of souvenirs but go there for the view. We stayed on site #2 in Hackberry which was 30 ft long. We had no trouble getting in and had enough room to park the truck in front of the trailer (at an angle). Site was level as well. We had no cell service at all without a booster. With a booster, we had no Verizon, but enough AT&T to use internet. We were even able to stream Game of Thrones one evening. The park was quiet at night. I would have liked to have stayed maybe one more night to explore more, but two days worked for us. Nothing around the park as far as services, so bring what you need. There is a store at the park that has a few essentials at a high cost. Overall, I was a great stay and we would stay again. $24 price reflects camping only. There is also a $8/person day use fee if you do not have a Texas State Park pass.

Clean and kept up. Great price and tons of hiking trails.

The bathrooms and camping grounds were clean and tidy. I usually find trash on the ground but our site here was trash free. The hiking trails are wonderful. Saw wild turkey and a fox. I reccomend going in spring. Not too hot and flowers are in bloom. This was our first stop on our roadtrip from Dallas to the grand canyon. We plan to return with friends.

Magnificent

Truest one of the best State Parks in the Nation. Lots of hiking and the views are spectacular.

October Paradise

October was perfect time to stay here. Temp’s were comfortable. Beautiful canyon, colors are unbelievable. Really enjoyed this State Park. Will visit again!