$10 / night

Primitive Area — Lake Mineral Wells State Park

9 Reviews

About

State Park

It's about a 2-mile hike to campgrounds. These sites do not have water, restrooms nearby, fire rings or grills. Sites are only reservable at park headquarters. You must arrive during office hours and at least two hours before dusk to purchase a permit.

Suggest an Edit

The Dyrt Alerts

Get reservations at sold-out campgrounds.

• Walk-In
    Park in a lot, walk to your site.
  • Hike-In

9 Reviews

Charly S.
Reviewed Oct. 25, 2022

Pleasant hike

This was the perfect place for my first solo hiking/camping trip! I was greeted by friendly, informative staff and paid the $7 day pass fee and $10 for the site. The hike to camp was 2.5 miles with a steep downhill grade the first quarter mile. Other than the first quarter I’d say it was a very easy hike. I saw some wildlife- deer, an armadillo, and a rabbit. I was carrying a 50 lb pack and stopped often for pics, so it took me about an hour and a half to reach the primitive camping area. At the south end of the area there’s a spot marked “A” with plenty of cleared up areas to set up camp. I decided to go a bit further north. There weren’t really any marked spots but there were clear paths and a few places that had obviously been camped at. After some searching I finally found the perfect hammock trees and settled in for the night. At some point I heard some coyotes but other than that it was very quiet and secluded so I slept like a rock! After the hike back to my car I wanted to swim, but the designed swimming area was very small and not secluded at all so I decided to skip the dip. Overall it was a great trip and I’m looking forward to going again sometime!

Siteprimitive area
Month of VisitNovember
  • Review photo of Primitive Area — Lake Mineral Wells State Park by Charly S., October 25, 2022
Jamey W.
Reviewed May. 26, 2021

Rock climbing and kayaking

LMWSP has tons of activities for the family. You can spend the day exploring and climbing the rock formations, bring climbing gear if you plan to get to the top. You can also spend your day on the water, swimming on the beach, fishing from a pier or exploring the shoreline by kayak. Primitive, water/electric and cabin sites are available.

Month of VisitDecember
B
Reviewed Mar. 28, 2021

My favorite

One of my favorite Texas state parks. Ve RT y nice campground on a lake. But do NOT miss the penitentary. Cliffs forming a prison below used during the civil war. Amazing rock structure with rock climbers.

Primitive Area — Lake Mineral Wells State Park is located in Texas