Covington, TENNESSEE

Most Recent Covington Camping Reviews
Convenient place

Right off the hiway The most Level site in our 6k mile trip Nice park w clean facilities Easy access to the sites Nice park! Friendly staff

Confusing Campground, Awesome Rangers!

We ended up camping here after another campground didn't work out. We arrived without reservation and didn't know much about the park, so we needed a little help from the rangers when we were choosing a spot. The campground seems to have been renovated in the last few years. The sites are all mixed together. You have a handful of RV sites with 50 amp, a couple of 30 amp sites and then lots of tent sites that have 20 amp or no power at all. The problem for us was that the leaves have fallen, so we couldn't even see where the parking pads were and all of the different sites were mixed together. I think it would be easier to sort it out via the website that has info listed for each site.

Ranger Tyson informed us that they were doing a night hike to the Fort and they would be serving Gumbo for dinner around the campfire at the Fort. Sign me up! It was one of the fee based activities, but for $5 per person, it was totally worth it! Tyson and Matt were awesome and the evening hike was surprisingly very cool!

As for the park itself, they don't have a huge "tourist attraction" like some parks, so it was very peaceful and not overcrowded. They work hard to offer great ranger lead programs. You can tell right away that the staff really does care about this park.

The bathhouse was newer and clean. Each bathroom was private in that you had your own suite style bathroom with toilet, sink & shower. The only drawback is that the bath house building (2) only had (1) mens suite and (1) womens suite each. I could see a line forming during warmer months, especially if there were lots of tent campers.

The park had a really nice day use area with a new playground, pavilion area and picnic tables. There is also a basketball goal/court area near the day use area. The visitors center/museum was a bunker style building built into the side of the hill. Great exhibit and lots of info on the battle and fort at Fort Pillow. There is also a small fishing lake with a boat ramp and pier.

Perfect for the visit !!

Great place to stay if you are here for the tour , very nice folks , convenient factor through the roof , 24 hr security, shopping and eats close by ..

Still in the city

Close to several amenities, but not really camping. Welcome to Memphis (technically Cordova, but we still.got the crime.) Shelby farms is a great park, one of the largest city parks in the US; you're close, but it's still city. If camping here, it's 5-6 miles off I40, and I'd just use it as a quick overnight (if tent camping) Some RVs stay here for quite a while. Note if you're coming during a festival ( Delta Fair, Corn Maze for Halloween, etc) you'll have congestion and noise.

Great Campground

This campground is right on the Mississippi River, only problem is if the river is over its banks, then the campground is closed. We had to keep checking to see if the river was down, campground was cleaned up and open. The drive into the campground can seem a little sketchy, but once you get to your spot on the river it is a great hidden gem. Lots of full hookups some on concrete, some are gravel, all level. Clean restroom, free laundry and free WiFi. This is a campground we would like to stay at again.

Near Memphis

This is a beautiful park with lots of trees and Robert the camp host was nice and helpful. There is a museum on site. Clean rr's and free ice machine

Perfect for a Memphis stay

We aren’t too enamored with Elvis but this was a nice RV park with a good value just outside of Memphis. If you are Elvis fans then you will love the proximity to Graceland. For us we enjoyed the pavilion, pool, basketball hoop, playground, showers, and other amenities. The highlight of our stay here, however, was the opportunity to take a free pink Cadillac limo ride to Marlowe’s for superb BBQ. Our children loved this opportunity. Next time we are in Memphis we will certainly be back here!

Nice enough.

Clean place near or in town. A little pricey $28day rate. Laundry & bath were good. Nice place for kids to play. Some small level of privacy. Close to industrial area, so there was sometimes a smell. Not super close, but close enough to downtown. No cell and almost no digital TV service.

Clean and safe

Very well kept basic RV Park.  Well maintained and very safe place to stay.  If your going to Graceland stay here before staying at Graceland RV Park.  You'll be much more relaxed at night.

Nice for nature lovers

This campground has well spaced sites, plenty of nature and several trails. The bathrooms are dated. Staff is nearly non existent. The campground is at least 30 minutes from any town so plan ahead! The playground is small and the place is never busy. It’s great if you want to have a quiet nature loving vacation. Their website says there is a pool and this is NOT TRUE.

Abandoned.

This is an abandoned site. Now its full of trash.

Clean, family friendly resort

This was our first time to ever hook-up our Class A RV and I'm afraid this place may have set the bar HIGH. This place was so clean & quiet, we wished we could have stayed longer. There were several playgrounds my son enjoyed & we had a blast doing the scavenger hunt. We were too early in the season for the blow-up slides but we definitely plan on coming back to enjoy those. They have pedal bikes you can rent (must have closed toed shoes), tetherball, a pavilion, a pond where you can feed the fish… I couldn't get over how clean this place was. The guy at the desk/shop was very friendly. I thought the price was high ($70/night) but when we got there, it made more sense.

Nice park in a convenient spot

Close to Memphis, across the river. It's a great campground. The scenery is not spectacular but that's not their fault. Surprisingly quiet for being right on hwy 40. Place is well taken care of an breakfast was awesome!

Excellent state park with great history

This description really needs to be updated. They are not just an historic area but an Historic State Park. They have about a dozen RV sites plus another 20 tent sites. Facilities are very nice and include showers. They have really worked hard to improve the entire park in the last 3 years or so and have really turned this into a hidden gem. The historic site of Ft Pillow from the Civil war is on one of the hiking trails. The trails also go along the Mississippi river and provide some beautiful views. They also have a small lake and available canoes/kayaks for rent. The staff is very attentive and provide a variety of programs.

Could be better

I wish we had nicer camping in Memphis, but unfortunately we don’t. We came here for the hiking trail. The trail is nice during the cold months, but being this close to the river and the Memphis humidity, I can’t even begin to imagine how awful the bugs are during the warmer months. Only a few campers were here at the time we visited, and 2 of them looked like they had been here for months, if not longer. It’s not in the best area of town either. A lot of people do love to come here to enjoy the pool during the summer though! Chucalissa Museum is worth checking out if you are here.

Tucked away in I surprisingly beautiful spot on the Mississippi River.

Wonderful fun to sit and watch the traffic up and down the Mississippi. Spacious large campground with benches along the river for sitting and watching. Very clean friendly and the laundry is large new and free

Easy access.

It is a trailer park that also has RV spots, it is clean but campers are close together, no campfire spot. Lots of long term campers.

Well kept and small.

The CG is close to the commissary. Not much else with in walking distance.

Small but quiet.

This is no longer a military CG. It is owned by the city and managed by a great couple.

Older Feeling Park With Nice Features

This was one of the first state parks in Tennessee I visited on my trip through the state. Despite being an older feeling camp it offered many unique features and options for keeping myself entertained. (Check Out Their Website)

When it came to camping not only were there tent sites but also cabins which had a very rustic feel. I opted for a tent site which ran $25 and had full electrical hookups (site 40), a big perk for charging my devices at the end of a busy day. My site had a bbq grill and fire ring in addition to a picnic table and was well shaded. I felt like the sites along this side of the road were a little more spacious than the other side of the road which were a little more close together.

I was about half way down the loop and a short distance from the restroom and showers which were in decent shape but nothing super special. The water pressure here was good for showering.

My favorite thing about this camp was the outdoor activities which seemed to be everywhere. I hiked both the Woodland and Pioneer Springs trails (MAP), each about 4 miles and along the way enjoyed just taking in the outdoors. I will say that if you do any trails in late summer here you will need mosquito spray because they come in droves.

You can travel to the boat ramp and marina and rent boats there or bring your own to take advantage of the lake which winds through various types of vegetation and allows you to see the lake in a way you cannot from the shore line. I most enjoyed taking out a kayak and exploring the swampy feeling area, though I will say being so close to the Mississippi River I was afraid of what I might find lurking in the water.

Book Your Site Here

TIPS:

• Bring citronella candles for your table when camping and try to put a dryer sheet in your pocket to ward off mosquitoes. In addition to spray these will make your trip here a bit more comfortable.
  • Bring your own firewood if you want to have a campground. There were signs around camp saying not to move wood.
RV Only, Like RV RV

I checked into this park while looking for a place to stay in Memphis, it was a very secure facility right on the state line of Mississippi and Tennessee and it appeared to have good reviews so I wanted to see if they offered tent camping since I had seen nothing about that. I arrived and the staff was very friendly however they were also very thorough in stating it was RVs only.

I went ahead and told them I am a ranger for the Dyrt and also a travel blogger and was interested in passing on the knowledge to other campers potentially looking in the area and they took me on a tour bragging on the facilities which had spacious road that were fully paved and well maintained. The restrooms were large and equipped for handicapped accessibility and there was a neighborhood vibe about this location.

Spaces were a little close together but it seemed as though most of the people here were retirees in larger rigs who didn't want the responsibility of having a lot of space in their immediate "yard". They offer nightly rates along with weekly and monthly however I believe that most are taking advantage of the monthly.

The person giving me the tour, the campground host, did mention that a lot of people misunderstand their RV policy and come in with pop ups or teardrops and those usually are not acceptable. So that s a major thing to know when coming here, you must be in a RV as defined by these standards.

I noticed that the site was incredibly clean. They offered additional storage for sports equipment and other items, a rec center and office and for each site both cable and wifi are available.

All in all this park was great, but not allowing tents or certain types of RVs did knock it down a few notch simply because not everyone would be able to take advantage of this site. I was overall happy to have checked it out for my fellow travelers and maybe one day when I RV across America I will be able to visit again.

Check Out The Official Website Or Make Reservations

Great Pricing But Felt A Bit Crowded

I was really looking forward to checking out this spot right on the Mississippi when I found out it was nestled right on the banks of the river. I had looked up and down the Arkansas side for a spot with the view and it seemed to fit the bill perfectly. There area several RV areas but this was the only I found that also welcomed tents.

I had seen the camp map offering camping right on the banks, but when I arrived they were not allowing camping in that grassy section and instead were placing campers in the area closer to the RVs, in a tree covered area so it was pleasant but I was really looking forward to seeing the mighty river in the morning first thing. But being closer to the bath house did also have its advantages I guess.

Pricing was only $14 so can't really beat that. The staff was super friendly as well but I am thinking I was there on a busy weekend because it was pretty packed and seemed to have a little bit of a closer quarters feel on the RV loops that I personally would have enjoyed had I been on one of them.

For the most part the location was pretty quiet during the nighttime, you could hear a little of the river traffic but nothing much from my placement. I think I probably would have enjoyed the location a bit more during the week, sometimes I just like to really enjoy the natural beauty of things more without as many neighbors.

Just as much as the river itself is a positive, I also was made aware that it can be a negative as the banks of the river have often swelled into camp and caused partial or full closure of the park. After talking to one of the employees and them showing me a few of the flooding photos they advised to always check in advance during the flood season which is from December to June. For this reason however, the park is always working to improve structures and making better so they can stay on top of this.

TIPS:

• Check out the pedestrian bridge which travels from West Memphis, not far from this camp all the way across the Mississippi into Memphis, TN. It is the longest pedestrian bridge in the country.
  • Check the website for the camp before traveling for links to weather related closures or possibilities.
Huge State Park

Campground is very rustic, shaded and sites are kinda small. Cell service is spotty. Some sites are really close together and some are decent size. The day area around Poplar Tree Lake is nice with kayak, flat bottom fishing boats and paddle boats for rent. Cabins seem very nice from the outside. Lots of nice playgrounds and a disc golf course.

West Memphis KOA

Small but clean. Very friendly staff. There are plenty of trees for shade. Nice pool, bathrooms and rec room. The laundry room is large and air conditioned. There is a dog park, horseshoes and cornhole. They offer daily breakfast and lunch and will deliver site made pizza to your camper. They also have a community garden.Very close to Memphis. The only downside is it has quite a bit of road traffic noise and a strange side road entrance.1

Great Location

This park is in a part of Shelby Farms Park which is a 4,500 acres of lakes, bike and running trails, playgrounds and so much more. The park also has plenty of events to keep you entertained. And, there are bison!! The RV park has a farmers market that has a pretty good selection of local fruits,veggies and your normal farmer market fare. Super close to Memphis and what the city and surrounding suburbs have to offer. Seriously, there is no way to ever get bored here. There us always some event, concert, play, bar, sport, etc… always! Nitty Gritty: the laundry room is small and hot with old machines. The bathrooms are ok. And, there are no trees where the RV's are to keep you cool. These three reasons are the only reason why I didn't rate this park a 5.

Shade!!!!!

It’s a nice camp ground … pleasant hosts… nice pool… and there is shade. After chasing a heat wave in a teardrop with no ac (an issue I plan to fix before next season) this was a great relief. Additionally, they have a delivery menu that includes bbq done in house that is pretty good.

Nice spot right on the Mississippi River.

Great view of the bargies go up and down the river. Camp ground is clean and well taken care of.

lots to do in the Memphis area

Short Term CampGround

This campground is clean and the managers are nice, but it is not a campground you stay at for its amenities.  It is a good location to see all the sights in Memphis or to stay a night or two.  There are also several workers who stay there when certain events are in town.

Great for groups

The cabins are nice, and there are great hiking trails

Cleanest bathhouse we saw in 2 weeks camping trip.

Great, spacious sites. Cicadas will drive you mad (even with earplugs I struggled to sleep but can't do anything about them..just fyi). Cleanest bathhouse..gotta compliment the cleaning crew, but they need fans in them to move the stagnant air.

Washer/dryer worked well. Quiet area. No firewood to purchase (they were out??) and couldn't find any local sellers close by but a walk into the woods enabled us to have a fire.

Rec'd reduced swim passes and the kids enjoyed the pool area.