Colonial Heights, TENNESSEE

Camping Tennessee Colonial Heights

Most Recent Colonial Heights Camping Reviews
Clean, cozy, and welcoming!

Had a great stay at R & D Campground! The owners are incredibly kind and welcoming. The campground was clean, well kept, and had a great layout and variety of tent sites and RV/camper sites. I travel alone and felt very safe here. There is access to the Doe Mountain trails directly from the campground, they are multi-use with ATVs and dirt bikes using them but the riders were respectful and gave my dog and I plenty of room while hiking. The bathrooms were very clean and the best I’ve seen at a campground. The “hang out” area (with WiFi) was one of my favorite spots with comfortable chairs, fans, music, and good company! This campsite was my favorite by far and I will be back with friends!

We Will Be Back!

The location is absolutely stellar. Less than 10 minutes into downtown Hot Springs with a hardware store, outdoor outfitters, gas station, two bar/restaurants, and of course lots of hiking. Just over 30 minutes away from the Max Patch trailhead.

We stayed at spot #4 for one night. I thought the fire pit for spot #4 and the tent pad for spot #3 were a little close. Other than that, the sites were spaced out well.

There were no electrical outlets available at this campground, not even one in the bathroom. Bathrooms have flush toilets but no showers.

I used the reservation.gov website to reserve the site and paid $23 - $15 for the site and a $8 reservation fee. There is a lock box for walk ins and the fee is $15 per night.

I had spotty cell phone service with AT&T - I had two bars the site and was able to make a call. I lost service when walking around the campground.

This is a well-maintained, no-frills campground which is the perfect base camp for exploring the area!

Quite peace stop on the river

Stayed at this place because we couldn’t find anywhere else to stay but we wanted to be on the river. We stay up in the “pines” with our truck camper. They had a 30 amp hookup up there for us. Camp host are awesome people everyone was super helpful. We explored the National Forest most of the time we were there. But use rafting was right there if you wanted to go rafting you could. We will definitely go back to stay. Oh and there is also a small bar Nextdoor at USA rafting.

Great Area to Camp

My wife is new to camping, so I took her tent camping here to see how well she would adapt to being outside and away from her blow dryer. She did amazing and this trip kicked off our adventure of moving on to a tear drop trailer and then to a class c motorhome. As I do, she loves camping and we are having the time of our lives. Thank you to this great campground, the trails, kayaking, and the waterfalls. Wonderful campground. I highly recommend you give it a try.

Not what we expected

Small tight campground just outside of Boone, NC. Very tight sites. Many long term campers. Right on the main road (Rte 105). Tons of road noise. Convenient to Boone, but not our preferred campground.

Mountain Magic

Roan Mountain is a beautiful campground with wooded sites, some with water views and access! Next time we’d definitely try for a water site. We loved Roan Mountain with its rocky streams, shady secluded sites, and winding wooded walks. We will definitely be back.

State Park with an Amazing Veiw and Rich Historical Background

This is the first time I have stayed in a yurt, and it was definitely a learning experience. First of all, it is a cross between a tent and a cabin, and it has no electricity, bathroom, or running water. This was not so bad since the campground bath house was only a couple of hundred feet away. However, the temperatures were in the lower 90s outside, and once we walked inside the yurt, it was like walking into an oven. The temperature had to be somewhere around 110 degrees inside. Immediately after opening the door, opening the window and opening the canvas window coverings, we could feel the heat pouring out of the yurt. Fortunately, I had two 100-foot extension cords and a fan in our car. I plugged into the closest campsite and ran the cord to the yurt. There is no way we could have stayed in the yurt without the fan, so if you decide to stay in a yurt at this park during the summer, make sure to take extension cords and at least one fan. One thing that my wife and I found strange was that there were handrails along the three steps to the deck around the yurt, but there were no handrails beside the rougher steps leading to the yurt. Once we got the yurt cooled off to a decent temperature(high 70s), it wasn’t too bad. It had a queen bed and a trundle bed, which our grandson stayed on. A couch, side tables, and a dining table was also inside. The overall appearance inside the yurt was pleasant, and there was a picnic table and rocking chairs on the outside on the deck. There was also a fire pit, another picnic table, and a lantern hanger included with this yurt on the ground outside of the deck area. You will have to take your own linens for the beds—a queen and a single. There are two campgrounds in this state park, and each one is quite different. The Lover’s Leap campground has space for larger RVs and appears to be the newer of the two campgrounds. Although there are playgrounds, a swimming complex, an amphitheater, and much more, some of these venues are closed for the season due to the pandemic. The one thing I was really looking forward to(the chairlift) is only open on weekends. However, we were able to hike a couple of trails and see the natural tunnel. There are also cabins in the campground and they have a variety of sleeping arrangements of up to sixteen people in one cabin. The historical background of the state park is varied and extensive, so there are a lot of things to see within the park and surrounding the park. My wife and I decided we really want to come back and camp here again when we have more time. Overall, the campground has a lot of opportunities for different types of camping, and a lot to do, but if you stay in a yurt, be prepared.

Great Riverfront Spot!

Beautiful spots along Little Wilbur Lake! The campsite has firewood to purchase and canoes to rent. The bathhouse is very clean and well maintained.

Spacious Riverside Camping

I just love this campground! It’s small, quaint and the owners are super nice. The riverfront spaces are amazing and just inches away from the Nolichucky River. If you love to fish or kayak this is a great location.

The bathhouses are super clean. Do check the output of the river because this campground will flood. That’s the only reason I give it a 4 star instead of 5.