Atoka , TENNESSEE

Most Recent Atoka Camping Reviews
Forest Campground 20mins from Downtown Memphis

You really can't go wrong with Meeman-Shelby. It is so damn close to Memphis that while you won't feel like you are near an urban center, you benefit from its proximity. I very much appreciated being able to site see and camp during our brief overnight here.

The campground itself is tucked away deep into the Meeman Shelby State Forest and offers a pleasant amount solitude even though the sites are fairly close together. We watched an super long RV struggle to back into their site, so I wouldn't recommend this campground to RVs that require pull through sites.

Not all sites are suitable for tent campers. I would call ahead to ask what sites to consider if booking online, or just show up. There are a lot of sites here and you'll find something.

The campground is not terrible even, so be prepared for that.

Best group camp

We stayed in the group site that will hold up to 200 people for Halloween and it was perfect. The group site is away from all the other sites so you have plenty of room for children of all ages to run around and play without disturbing other campers. It’s very roomy and beautiful. You do have to watch for the falling acorns in the fall as they drop like bombs and don’t feel so nice. Ranger Tyson was awesome and came to check on us and fix any issue we had. I would recommend them putting in some electrical outlets under the pavilion but other than that I have no complaints. One of the hiking trails passes through the camp but we went on a slow weekend and saw nobody walk through. The lady that was in the museum when we went through was super awesome with a great personality and was very helpful! We will definitely be back to the site!

Good spot for a stop over on a road trip

We were passing through Memphis and stayed overnight at Fort Pillow. The staff in the office were not super friendly or helpful. I had to ask for everything, like a campsite map to my site, a trail map, and buying firewood. Nothing was offered, so definitely ask. The layout is also backwards. You have to drive all the way to the back of the park to get to the museum visitors center. I am sure there is a practical reason for this, but it wasn’t fully transparent. I always check in to campsite to introduce myself and get a lay of campsite from the people who work there. They just were not very social or helpful.

We stayed in campsite 4 which is more or less a walk-in type site. You park and then have to haul your gear about 15 yards to your site. The privacy and cliff side campsite is worth it, but there again was no one warning. We were only staying one night and the site was a little impractical for our needs. If you are staying 2-3 nights then grab campsite 4, in the winter months after the leaves have fallen this site would be stunning. It is basically a private overlook to the Mississippi. Only thing that would’ve made this campsite perfect would be running water. Instead you have to walk to the bath house to snag water.

Amenities:

There was electrical hookup at site but no water. (Was not able to locate communal water) Bath house cleaned daily and was a private set room style. Tent pad and campsite is pebbles to allow for moisture/bring long stakes or expect to not to be able to stake in your tent.

Plenty to see and do

This is my neighborhood campground, so i might be a little biased. A great spot to spend the weekend with lots of good trails, a big lake for paddling and fishing, and quaint camp sites. The bathrooms are clean but have strong serial killer vibes. There used to be a pool here. I’d love to see that open again!

Quieter place to camp

Quiet place in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Memphis. Odorous, there is a water treatment plant close by. We parked the mobile apartment, grabbed an Uber, and went to Graceland.

PS. Uber’s will take you to the Casino at Southland, but they will not pick you up. You have to use a taxi service, which is auto $35.00 to take you across the bridge, back into Tennessee.

Out of the Way Serene Forest

Meeman-Shelby, north of Memphis, is a nice addition for your camping travels.  Very quiet with decent, if old, shower and toilet facilities. Lots of mosquitoes due to the forest surrounds so be prepared.  Some sites have dual levels so be prepared there, too.  Not much privacy between sites.

Nice hiking and camping

The campground is generally more expensive than the other surrounding camping spots in the area. However, the camp is very nice. It didn’t feel crowded, the restrooms are clean, and the views are nice, especially camps 36-45. There is also good amount of hiking around. There is a longer 12 mile hike close by, and other shorter more challenging and less challenging trails. There is also a lake near by.

Remote Feel Near Big City

I spent a night here in mid/early July and boy was it hot and humid. Bring bug spray! This is a small campground, just one loop, in a state park that’s conveniently located near Memphis. The facilities were not the cleanest I’ve seen but also not the worst. The only reason I noticed the lack of cleanliness and upkeep was because I visited during COVID-19. Because of when I was visiting the campground was the only part of the park open.

Nice for a short stay

This is a nice little campground for a few days stay. Conveniently located near downtown Memphis and Graceland. The road in through the industrial park area has a lot of potholes and train tracks, so go slowly. My site (30) was technically a pull-through but is really just parallel to the driving loop. There is a great hiking loop on-site, moderately challenging due to hills and a broken bridge. There weren’t many other campers there, despite it being a summer weekend. The camp host is friendly and drives by with firewood for sale. There’s no check in procedure, if you reserved a site just go to it and there will be a tag there with your name. If not, you can just pick a site with no tag and register in the morning, the ranger station closes at 4. Cell service wasn’t great with Verizon, but messaging worked okay.

I’m surprised that some people gave this campground bad reviews just because poor people live nearby. The campground itself is nice and secluded and I never felt unsafe. It’s not like there were people wandering in there from the town.

Decent SP near South Memphis.

T.O. Fuller SP Is a decent campground situated 5 miles from Graceland and about 15 minutes (by car) from downtown Memphis. If you are concerned about staying in South Memphis, this state park is not for you. However, it is surprisingly decent compared to what you would assume based on its location.

TO fuller state park is expansive and has a state park feel to it. The campground is secluded and has 35-38 campsites. All campsites have 30/50 amp electric, water, picnic table, fire ring and trash hooks. There are no sewer hook ups, but there are two dump stations. This is helpful on busier weekends. The bathhouse is situated in the center of the campground and it has been updated. We did not use it and it was closed due to the pandemic. There is also an updated playground in the campground area that looks very nice. Many of the sites are level and there are a few pull through sites. Several large RVs and travel trailers were able to comfortably fit in these campsites.

There are several hiking trails, a swimming pool (in season), and a native American history Museum (Chulissa) that is very popular. Most of the facilities were closed, but we were able to hike and enjoyed it. The visitor center staff and Park Rangers were all helpful and very friendly. The visitor center has a number of state park items for purchase. If you are a person that collects patches, stickers, or clothing of the state park you visit visit, TO Fuller’s visitors center has everything you could need.

In summary, TO Fuller State Park is surprisingly beautiful for its location, but if you cannot get past its location then it is not a good place for you to try and stay. However, if its location doesn’t bother you, you’ll enjoy your weekend and a pretty state park.