Fires Unknown
About Cedar Pass - Badlands National Park
National Park Service
Cedar Pass - Badlands National Park is located in Badlands National Park in South Dakota
53 Reviews of Cedar Pass - Badlands National Park
Amazing backdrop

Nice campsite and warm showers. Amazing views of the badlands.

It rained while we were there and some sites got flooded - we were lucky that we had a dry site. Will stay again.

Great location, not roughing it.

I have to say the campground was in a great location a beautiful drive down to it that got the whole family excited to be in the badlands! Our complaint (probably our fault for not doing more research) is that you don’t actually get a “campsite” you pull over on the side of the road (vehicles on both sides with a driving lane down the middle) and hook up to an electrical box. That Is it…it’s literally a parallel parking spot on the side of the road which left our door and awning (if we would have used it) facing out into the middle of the road. At least they give you a table out in the grass. It just wasn’t what we expected. lf you want to spend a day in the badlands I’d crash at this site again but I wouldn’t make it my destination for an extended period of time.

Named Badlands for a reason

Campground is awesome and unique in some ways, right on the prairie with great views of the rock formations in the Badlands. The openness that makes it so cool however leads to total exposure to the elements. Our site had some standing water around the covered picnic table. Additionally a nearby storm hit us with big time winds on our second night that broke one of our tents. Despite the weather troubles, we had a great time in the Badlands: great hiking and views. The Campstore nearby had all the basics and campground had good clean bathrooms and warm showers.No fires are allowed in the campground and the open layout and wind made using the camp stove a bit tricky to use so plan meals accordingly.

Great Views--There is a Shower House

There is a shower house.

The Badlands provide a dramatic landscape during the day and one of the most incredible skyscpaes at night. We opted to sleep sans rainfly, and simply gaze at the stars.

Due to the landscape, the sites are not very private, however, they are also not very cramped (personal space is provided). There is a shower house--bring quarters (and be prepared to lose one or two quarters along the way). I searched for hours to determine if there were showers before reserving and had to wing it. There are showers. As of the summer of 2017, the doors to the bathroom slam, so I would advise light sleepers to select a site further from the main bathroom than closer. There are picnic tables at every site, and a shelter for shade which was very nice under the hot desert sun.

For those still wondering, did I mention that there are showers!

Location, location, location

The location is great, as this is in the national park. The bath houses and shower house were kept clean and served our needs for the two nights we stayed, as tent campers. Each site has a picnic table with wind screen (because it can get windy). There is also a lodge (with groceries/ice/camping items/souvenir section) and restaurant) very closeby. Be advised that you cannot have a fire and the sites have abslutely no privacy. Certain sites also are horrible for tent campers if it rains. Trailers remain on the side of the road, as they are blocked from pulling on or backing onto any site. While we were there (5/2018) there was significant digging being done throughout the property that was poorly done with muddy walkways, etc. It was apparent, between the condition of the maintenace and by the checkin service we experienced, that they don’t need to pay much attention to their customer service. Location is why you would want to stay here.

Great location, mediocre facilities

As far as location, this campground gets 5+ stars. The campground is located in one of the 'valleys' and there are no trees, so you have an absolutely incredible view of the hills from every spot in the campground. Sunrises and sunsets are worth it alone, and the star viewing is great. I also loved hearing coyotes all night in the background (but you'll hear cow bells as well!). And while there are no trees in the campground, the NP did at least provide some shade - each picnic table has a hardcover awning, which is absolutely needed in late spring through early fall during the day.

In terms of amenities, I give this campground a 2 or 3 - the shower houses are some of the worst I've encountered in any campground. To start, the showers are not free (which is fine), but they are terrible. The water pressure is actually so high it's painful.. it felt like I was being hosed with a pressure washer, and it got literally everything I had in the shower stall soaking wet including my clothes and towel that were hanging up on the door. The water was also scalding hot, and there was no way to adjust the temperature. After a hot day of hiking and driving in the park, it was the last thing I wanted; I would have much preferred a cold shower (or at least an option to turn the temp down!). If those things weren't bad enough, the shower houses also have a vent fan that automatically turns on when someone enters the building (and stays on for ~20 minutes after the last person leaves), which sounds like a jet plane taking off and can be heard throughout the whole campground. So basically, you can forget about taking one at odd hours without disturbing everyone in the vicinity. They REALLY need to overhaul their whole shower facility.

THE VIEWS

First come, first serve campground with an open concept. On the way to the campground you see prairie dogs and bison at every turn. In front of where we placed our tent, there were prairie dog holes right in front of it. Sitting on chairs outside the tent, watching bison graze in the distance, and hearing coyotes howl in the background. It was a beautiful sunset, and an even more beautiful sunrise. I hope to go again some day!

Plus side: beautiful views of the Badlands

Did an overnight here on my way to the Black Hills National Forest. No privacy but it's the Badlands and there's no trees. The covered picnic table was great! The toilets and showers were clean and hot water(!). I was in site #2 which is pretty secluded based on the rest of the sites. Be prepared with food that doesn't need to be warmed up! I have a Coleman propane portable grill that wouldn't stay lit because of the wind. There's also a great little diner just up the road if you need it! Would highly recommend for a night or two!

Great spot

Great campground for easy access to the park. Good way to beat the crowds. If it's warm bring something to protect from the sun.

Amazing Views

Panoramic views in every direction of this campground but very little privacy exists. No fire allowed to dry condition, but sun shade cover over picnic table was provided. Hot, pay showers available within walking distance of site. Great access to hiking, badlands car loop and wildlife of the park!