Austin, PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Austin Camping Reviews
Super friendly staff!

Sinnemahoning is definitely  an excellent spot for car campers to enjoy the Elk State Forest/PA Wilds region. It was a quiet sleep(a little gravelly for tents, but not bad) with dark skies for stargazing.The park staff was knowledgeable and super friendly. Tracy answered my sister’s 500 plant identification questions with cheerful patience. Will definitely be back. And we saw a bear!Beautiful area with a nice visitors center. It’s quite a bit further from Route 120 than we thought from the signs, but a nice ride. Wish it had a nicer playground and picnic area for the kids to enjoy. We would have liked to hang around longer but it was soooo buggy(not their fault).

Small but all you need in one stop!

Our family loved the modern cabins which are available in my of Pennsylvania's state parks. I'd rank any other park that we visit with a five star rating. The staff at other parks will let my family check in before 3:00pm if the cabin is ready.The swim area is one of the best around. Playgrounds are fun& the snack stand is a little expensive, but delicious!I think we picked the week with the most rain of the year to camp but it was still a lot of fun. The hike around the lake is not that long and a pretty easy walk. We did it with a 5 year old and he had no complaints. The nature talks were really fun for the kids and interesting for the adults.

Great camping in northern PA

Love it here! This is a great State Park. The campground has added many full hookup sites and there are also cabins available also. Nice clean sites.The lake has good trout fishing and the beach area offers a nice place for a relaxing summer retreat. Several picnic shelters are for rent if your looking for a place to have your reunion or annual company picnic. There are also boat/kayak rentals, a snack bar/ camp store, and a large modern bath house/changing building down near the beach.Come for the day or stay for the week. Parker Dam State Park offeres something for everyone.

Well kept

Sites are pretty level and well kept. The bathrooms are great! Remote, cute little place! They maintain the place well! There are a few trails close by. Nothing crazy but nice to have something close. Not far from cherry spring. We stayed at site 25. We were right next to the bathroom. Convenient, but did hear some traffic from other campers but not bad.

Rustic

Small sites with porta potty’s, did not stay found another campground

Best campground for the fall

Clean family friendly and walking distance to the overlook of the Grand Canyon. Bathrooms are clean and well maintained. Sites are large with plenty of room. Park Rangers are kind and available if needed. Kid area playground.

Campground in the forest ON the Allegheny River.Not a parking lot! Fishing and Kayaking only feet away!

20 Miles from A.S.P. On the riverfront! Great family campground!

Ranger Review of Banner & Oak Women's Hoodie at Parker Dam State Park

Campground Review:

This is our second trip to Parker Dam State Park.   It is a beautiful PA state park.   It is quiet and peaceful.   The leaves were beginning to change.  This trip was chilly at night, but gorgeous weather during the day.  Bathroom/shower houses are a bit outdated, but clean.  We had a full hook up site.  They have pet loops as well.  If you want to stay in September, book early.  Limited cell service.   Spent time driving to Benezette - about 30 minute trip - to see the Elk.   Great experience seeing approximately 100 elk.  Several very large bulls.   Would recommend the campground and the trip to Benezette to everyone.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, we get products to test from time to time- today we tested the Banner & Oak Women's Hoodie. https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hoodies/products/freedom-heathered-black I so apologize because we were so busy watching the elk in Benezette, that we completely forgot to take photos of the product.  This hoodie is very soft! The sizing is accurate.  While it is not a thick sweatshirt material, it keeps you very comfortably warm.   I prefer the thinner material versus a thick and heavy sweatshirt.   It has become my "go to" hoodie.   Pros:  Lightweight, but very warm.   Con:  The pouch in front is actually 2 small pockets even though it looks like a pouch.   I'm not sure this is really a "con" because it depends on what style you prefer.  At first, I wasn't sure about it, but I am beginning to like it.  Wish the pockets would be a little bigger though.   Overall, I think this is a great lightweight hoodie and worth a purchase!

Nice find

Very nice campground. We stayed just one night, but the site was truly amazing. The hosts are super nice and accommodating. Groceries only 15min drive away. Would definitely recommend.

Ole Bull State Park

This park is in Potter County in the PA Wilds.  The campsites are flat, some in full shade and others out in the open.  Electric sites are available with water access to fill tanks but no water hookups.  The bath houses are well maintained with newer renovations, tiled floors, shelves over the sinks, large stainless steel utility sinks for dish washing.  Firewood is available 24 hours on the honor system for $6 per bundle.  The campground hosts are right next to the ranger station in case the ranger isn't in.

There is a lot to do in the park; hiking, fishing, swimming in Kettle Creek, horseshoes, swings and playsets, and several charcoal grills and picnic tables for day use.  This is a great location if you want to explore the area, Ole Bull is less than 20 minutes away from Cherry Springs Dark Sky preserve.  It is an hour and 30 minutes from Kinzua Bridge State Park, The PA Grand Canyon is near by, and the Town of Wellsboro.  Its also near Route 6 Scenic Highway.

Named after a ghost town

The town of Sizerville may be gone and forgotten and the history of the CCC camps seldom told… but the wind whispers the secrets that the hemlocks and the pines still hold. One of these is the natural beauty of this State park. So many reasons to come and spend a day or two here! A playground to spark the imagination of any child! A spring fed swimming pool to cool you off on the hottest day! A nature center to explore and trails galore! 6 pavilions and even a horseshoe pit! The interesting thing I found here was a very large collection of skulls of all the different wildlife even an elk skull! The perfect park to sit around the campfire at night and share a few ghost stories! There is plenty to enjoy here anytime of year and the streams have both native and stocked trout. The park is well maintained and everything was super clean!

Nice showers, pricey, not much scenery

The place was nice, with nice spots and nice hot showers but overall, there wasn’t much to bring me back. There’s a little lake there, and a stream and some trails but in general it’s all pretty uninspiring. If you’re looking for a place to get away from everything it’s fine but, if you’re looking for adventure or proximity to impressive nature and geography, keep moving.

The stars

This is one of the darkest places that I have ever been. They go to a lot of trouble to make sure that it stays dark. There are no lights in the bathroom at the campground but that’s a sacrifice for the dark sky and they give out red cellophane to put over flashlights that are too bright. The stars were so bright during our visit that I could probably have counted over 1000. I would love to go back with a telescope when the kids are a little older.

Beautiful, clean and quiet.

We drove down from Western NY and were able to choose from 1 of 2 campsites. We lucked out and ended up with a beautiful site in view of the reservoir. Red Bridge was clean and quiet. The hosts were friendly and very informative.

Firewood and ice were sold in the campground.

Wonderful campground

Stayed there the August 2-4. Great little campground. Very friendly staff. Minutes away from a town and the gorge. Hiking trail from the campground to the gorge! Highly recommended!!

Beautiful views, clean campground, friendly people. Ice cream, arcade, restaurant and camp store all walking distance away.

Favorite place to camp

No electricity or water hook ups, very secluded, has a pond to fish in, by far my most favorite place to camp

Adventure

Great place to explore. Many trailes, boating, swimming, camping… just a great place to go.

Small, well kept

We stayed at site 8 which is creekside. It was a large, beautiful site and the sound of the burbling water lulled us to sleep every night. The bathrooms and showers are very clean and modern (tiled, not concrete block for a change). The only downside to the area is the quantity of timber rattle snakes that we encountered, one at our site and one in the woods nearby. Something to keep in mind if you have pets or small children.

Remote and comfortable

Spent a week here and loved it. Very remote wooded area with small stream. Sites are tight but worth it, gorgeous area. Bathrooms are clean and large, staff keeps the grounds immaculate. Lake and beach nearby.

Relaxing but busy with visitors

Sites are close together small  and in wooded areas. Close enough to the lake and beach which is clean but small. Bathrooms are well kept and clean workers keep trash picked up and grounds immaculate. Very close to Cherry Springs International Dark Sky  Park with its amazing views of the stars and Milky Way.

Wonderful place

I love this place, cleanest campground i ever saw, peaceful, quiet and friendly

Trees trees trees!

Stayed a night and wished it was longer. We did a stop over and slept in our hammocks so it was perfect for us as there were lots of trees. Small little campground but sites were nice and cozy. Lots of very nice people here!

Beautiful and natural meets comfortable and convenient

Whispering winds provides convenient hookup sites with fire pits and level gravel lots all along a beautiful rolling stream that provides natural music to create a relaxing environment. We loved the location, the registration and owner/ hosts. Clean, quiet and easily accessible.

Great get away !

We always love ARC the kids had a blast and we were able to relax!

small remote campground

This is a small, fairly remote campground.  The sites are very small- some don't even have room for a pop-up canopy.  Sites have a fairly level parking pad for campers. Some sites lead you to believe they are on water (stream)- the stream is barely there and there is no access to it.  There are ATV trails all over the park which can get loud.  Tons of great hiking trails and a great beach.  Fishing and boat launch also available.

Very beautiful camps site

Definitely worth the 3 hours hike from nearest car parking. About 32 camp sites First come first serve, $12 fee for each night. The water is ver beautiful to swim specially at night when the moon is bright.

Black Mo is a unique treasure

As far as camping goes, the loop area is a bit cramped for my taste, but if that doesn't bother you it's fine. Clean bathhouse and convenient outdoor sink for washing up after dinner. Overall one of the best PA parks and well maintained.

I really have to address some of these other reviews, though:

"Water was thick with weeds& lilies but ok nonetheless." Wow! Pitcher plants, sundews and water lilies are not "weeds." They are unique to bog environments and don't grow in other places. The vegetation in the lake is what makes Black Mo black, so picturesque and unlike other PA parks!

"The overall area has nothing to do. And I mean NOTHING. We drove 45 minutes to Altoona to see the famous Horseshoe Curve but there’s literally nothing else around for miles and miles. Not even an ice cream stand, or not one we could find. And, since there’s no cell service, we couldn’t figure out any options either." Like many state parks in this part of the world there is no cell service, so you need to bring a real map (Purple Lizard) and look a few things up on the internet ahead of time. Black Mo is literally ten minutes from Philipsburg where there is surely an ice cream stand, 25 minutes from State College, which has tons of touristy offerings…I could go on but really this is laughable.

Beautiful campground

We loved it here! Very beautiful, nice hiking trails and a beautiful lake. Clean grounds and bath houses.

Great place Wish I could give it five stars

This is a nice cg, don’t get me wrong. Sites are spacious, bathrooms clean and air fresh. Decent beach on the lake and plenty to do within the park for the nature lovers.

The bad? The water in the lake is way frigid - even midsummer and only the very bravest kids were swimming. The overall area has nothing to do. And I mean NOTHING. We drove 45 minutes to Altoona to see the famous Horseshoe Curve but there’s literally nothing else around for miles and miles. Not even an ice cream stand, or not one we could find. And, since there’s no cell service, we couldn’t figure out any options either.

Don’t think we’ll be back. Might be a nice place for kayaking or possibly fishing (but I didn’t see a lot of fishermen).