Equestrian
About Cape Blanco State Park
Cape Blanco State Park is located in Oregon
14 Reviews of Cape Blanco State Park
Awesome campground, wrong location on the map

Managed to find this great campground despite the location being incorrect on the map. We first headed down Airport Road which was a dead end… the actual turnoff to the state park is a couple of miles south of that, which the map doesn’t show.

The campground is about 50 spots - road and sites are paved with power and water. We paid $24 for a site tho we didn’t need either power or water. Well treed, and short walk to beautiful views. Highly recommend it!

Own kind of beauty

Great campsite with amazing views and service at a great price to what it has to offer. Paid $24 for campground with tent and one vehicle.

Cliffside among the tall pines.

I visited Cape Blanco twice this summer. Once in early June, and again in late July. Early June was definitely greener, lusher, more beautiful with wildflowers, but this place won't disappoint late in the summer either.

One of my favorite campgrounds of the summer (and that is saying a lot as I camped in about 25 different places). Cape Blanco is on top of a cliff and very wooded. It is small-ish with less than 20 sites for cars/rvs/tents, several ocean view yurts/cabins, a completely separate Hiker/Biker area off in the woods and an equestrian camp nearby. They don't accept reservations so this is a great place to luck into or make a destination if you're winging it (as always no res needed for hiker/biker).

Hiker/Biker was really off on it's own and very private. There was an REI sponsored storage box station complete with USB charging ports, bike stand, tools, shared fire pit and picnic table. Each "site" which are just unnumbered clearings had its own bike rack near by, and despite being completely separate it was only a short walk to a flush toilet and bathroom. Though at night that walk was very, very dark as you had to walk through the trees. This is a very shaded campground.

The Coastal Trail runs through camp and you can follow it North for a half mile through the trees while listening to the ocean waves. You'll pop out into a meadow of wild flowers and tall grasses (early in the summer) overlooking the ocean and out towards the Cape Blanco lighthouse. There is a bench there. I strongly recommend picking up a cheap bottle of red wine, and spending the better part of an afternoon on this bench looking out at the rocks waiting for the occasional thought to float by.

The ride into Cape Blanco is also beautiful with a river winding it's way out to the sea, a tourist stop at the Hughes House and a stop at the Cape Blanco Lighthouse. As a hiker/biker you'll be traveling up a large hill to get up to the top. Don't let the elevation scare you off. It isn't as hard as you think with plenty of pull-offs and views to distract you.

Amenities include:

• Nature/Coastal Trail
  • Yurt/Cabin camps
Hidden gem

When we stayed: Mid-May, Friday-Monday

Overall experience: off the beaten path, hands down would go back again for the privacy and epic ocean views.

Doesn't take Reservations: the campground doesn't allow you to reserve sites online. It's a fairly small park so we were worried about not finding a site on a weekend so we had backup reservations at another campground, but Cape Blanco was nearly empty all weekend!!

Camp Sites: some of the largest sites I've seen in a camp ground, all in the woods. None of them had ocean views but were sheltered from wind and sun.

Bathrooms: clean, but the shower was kinda chilly and misted everywhere.

The Best Part: a short walk for incredible views of the ocean, I'd drink my morning coffee on a cliff overlooking the ocean. A beautiful 1-mile walk takes you to the lighthouse.

Beach Access: you do have to drive down a steep road to get to the beach, but once you're there it's empty and gorgeous. Lots of big rocks to explore.

Camp with a Lighthouse

I have been camping at Cape Blanco State Park for years. This campground is located on the Southern Oregon coast outside of Port Orford, OR.

The campground does not take reservations and can have low availability during peak summer season. Cabins are available to reserve. The campground has free showers, flush toilets, sinks, firewood for sale, and beach access. The sites have full hookups, fire pits, tables, and very long paved drives. A bikers' camp, group camp, and horse camp are also available.

It is very windy here, but the plants surrounding the sites keep out most of the coastal wind and also provide plenty of privacy from other sites. Be prepared for cold weather and misty air. Dump station is under construction and not open for use right now.

Port Orford Fun With Gregory Packs and South Coast Tours

A great place to camp along the gorgeous Oregon coast and everything there is to do in Port Orford. If you are hiking the Oregon Coast Trail, this is a great spot to take a break, or to spend a weekend camping and also enjoying nearby activities. I appreciate the campground has recylxing, and a dog-friendly cabin if you want to stay with your pet. Dogs love the beaches nearby! You are just 17 minutes to fun Port Orford stops like the One Lump Or Two coffee shop (which sells model airplane gear in the front of the shop-- small town quirks!) and Redfish Grill.

One of the hilights of our visit was when we went kayaking with South Coast Tours in the waters off Samuel H. Boardman State Park and you can see some amazing things at low tide, like starfish, sea urchins, harbor seals, and lots of mussels. At higher tides they'll take you through sea caves and some of the arches near Nelly's cove. We also did some really nice hikes. My favorite in the area was down to Secret Beach!

GREGIRY JUNO 3D HYDRO PACK REVIEW

As a Dyrt Ranger, sometimes I get to review camping gear. On this trip, I brought along my new Gregory Juno 3D Hydro Pack. It was really roomy, and in addition to three liters of water also held all the clothes I needed for four days, including warmer, bulkier layers. My sneakers fit nicely in the stretchy front mesh pocket and the generous side mesh compartments were plenty big enough for snacks.

I love how comfortable this pack is, with padded breathable straps and the "vapor span" design to the back that keeps you from getting too sweaty while alao providing cushioning. As a 5'6 size 8-10 gal, I was really pleased with the fit. The bag sits nicely on my hips and stops short of my neck.

The hydro pack is sturdy and easy to use. I do wish this bag had a clearer place to put my laptop for when I'm traveling, but thats really my only complaint. I was pleasantly surprised by how many pockets there are, including an interior zipper pocket with key ring. The pockets are all a bright color that contrasts with the exterior, making it extra easy to look for you things. No dark cavernous interior swallowing your stuff!

Very pleased with my first Gregory pack. Its comfortable and thoughtdully designed in a way that far surpasses my big North Face backpacking pack. I definitely want to get more Gregory products in the future as I replace my older camping gear and invest in new pieces.

Quiet private camp sites

This is a beautiful place to enjoy the scenery. It's beautiful and quiet. Clean facilities with running water and hot showers. Make sure to bring weather appropriate clothing. It's always on the cooler/ chilly and windy side here.

Beautiful Cape Blanco

Cape Blanco State Park is the hidden treasure of the Oregon Coast - maybe of all of Oregon. Each site is secluded with lovely hedges. The hikes through the forests are like taking a walk through a Tolkien novel with hanging moss, giant trees, ferns, mushrooms and meandering trails.

Brrrrr

While this is a lovely place to visit during the day, at night the winds coming in off of the Pacific can be pretty harsh even in the middle of summer. Sleeping here in July was the coldest camping I have ever done that's not in winter.

Fantastic site.

A bit windy. …A lot of windy. but fantastic location and spots. Far walk from the beach at the site, but some very cool picnic areas, and a lot of privacy in the unique sites