the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In, Hike In
Hocking Hills State Park is located in Ohio
47 Reviews of Hocking Hills State Park
Breathtakingly Beautiful

This is a gorgeous park with deep caverns, changing terrain and drop offs at the paths. I will wait to take my grandkids when they’ve grown stable, obedient and careful enough to not worry about a deadly fall. My favorite by far! We have also stayed in the furnished cabins and they are also pretty awesome.

Very nice and well kept

Good for the family… If you are into the outdoors this is it!

lots of variety in hiking trails

I go to Hocking Hills every year and love it every time. They have a handful of different trails and hiking experiences that takes several days to explore. Can get crowded during busy seasons, but overall is relatively remote and quiet. Definitely love Ash Cave and Old Man’s Cave. Campgrounds are reasonably priced.

Cell service is finicky — definitely wouldn’t rely on your phone GPS once you get into the park.

Crowded even in October.

The park is beautiful but the sites were small and crammed extremely close together and dirty. It was loud and the bathrooms were not well kept.

Nice campground with even better hiking and scenery

Old Man's Cave Cave Campground in Hocking Hills State Park is a large campground. At many of the sites, you'll feel like you're in a large campground. If you stay away from the main roads, you might feel like you're in a smaller campground.

Choosing a Site

• Study the photo of the site map included here to get a sense of where you might want a site. You'll be able to see electric/non-electric and reservable/non-reservable sites. There's quite a mix of sites and the map has a legend that will guide you.

• A reservation is a good idea.  You'll definitely need one on weekends during the summer/fall, or you should arrive by Thursday for a chance for a non-reservable site for the weekend. I've been here in July and mid-September, and the park was crowded. I just keep an eye on reservations on reserveamerica.com.

• Electric sites: I recommend sites 152-163, 164-172, and 141-151 because you are away from the main roads (long straightaways). In my opinion, sites 161-163, 150-151 and 171-172 are the best because you're at the end of spurs off a main road.

• Full hookup sites: Sites 66-70 at the end of the full hookup stretch (24-70) are good.

• Warning about full hookup sites: There's some kind of pumping station behind the sites on the left as you enter so it's noisy all the time. If I wanted a full hookup, I'd avoid sites from #24 up to at least #35 because you're going to have constant noise. It probably doesn't matter when you're inside because units with full hookups typically have closed windows and AC/heat.

• Reservable non-electric sites 81-93: I like #92 and #93 and the first couple at the beginning.

• Non-reservable sites: #1-23 are electric and #76-78 are non-electric.

Amenities

• Picnic table and fire ring at sites

• Swimming pool

• Pay attention to the map if the location of showers and toilets is important to you. There are 3 showerhouses with showers, flush toilets and sinks. For some reason, the floor in the showerhouse near the pool was always wet and dirty even in September when the pool was closed. Other toilets throughout the campground are pit toilets.

• Gray water disposal stations and potable water stations

• Laundry facility near the shower house by the pool

• Dump station

Activities

• Scenery and hiking are what make this park special…and crowded.

• See photos that show a map and descriptions of 8 hiking areas. Some of these areas are outside the park, and you'll need to drive to the trailheads or take a shuttle ($5 fee). Ohio does a good job of consistently marking trails and posting information boards that show where you are and where you can go from your current location.

Cell Phone Service: It's spotty. As you walk around, sometimes you have it and sometimes you don't!

Cool Feature of Ohio Parks

When you use reserveamerica.com, you can participate in a rewards program for Ohio state parks. We were able to apply points to stay free one night out of three.

The best

One of my all time favorites! 30 years later, and we keep going back.

Paradise!

This is by far the best winter trip we have ever taken. Due to the extreme cold we couldn’t take the camper so we rented a cabin. The park itself was magical! We hiked many of the snow and ice covered trails. Some were not passable as the ice made it too treacherous but most were either clear or ok as long as we were careful. There are markers throughout or you can refer to the many available books to get an idea of the history. We can’t wait to go back again in any season.

Just ok, crazy crowded

I love Hocking Hills State Park's trails and scenery. Just love it. However, the crowds are maddening. This extends to the campground. It is crowded from April through October- I've been there several different times of year, and it is always a madhouse.

The campsites are very close together, many without trees or anything for privacy. You are smushed up with people on both sides- usually big families with very active kids. Expect throngs of kids on bikes, dozens of kids bouncing balls around you, parents yelling, dogs barking, all of it. Not relaxing, in my opinion.

I'm surprised about the sad state of the bathrooms here, considering this is probably one of the most popular parks in the state. Pit toilets, not toilets with running water. Shower houses are fine but could use a remodel. They get pretty filthy on weekends- think giant hairballs, puddles, sinks you don't want to touch.

If you want to explore the region, there are other state parks where you can camp and then drive into Hocking Hills.

Probably wont stay at walk in sites again

Hocking Hills park is beautiful- definitely a great place for the hikers!

We stayed at the walk in sites- I will not go again. It is a pretty far walk to get to some sites, I understand they have vaulted toilets- some of the doors wouldnt close properly and the smell was worse than other vault toilets.

Our site was completely flooded from the rain with standing water. Luckily there was another one open so we were able to set up there.

The staff was friendly and great.

If you go to hocking hills don't stay at the walk in sites- I would suggest another campground in the area.

Better for RVs than tents

This campground is very open with few trees for privacy, and and any tents are squished between giant RVs. Bathrooms are nice and you can’t beat the hiking trail access