Yurts
Equestrian
About Hocking Hills State Park

Stake a spot on the Hocking River! Hocking Hills camping has three different locations depending on your groups needs. The Riverside, Canoe Livery and Fun Center Campgrounds each have their own unique characteristics.

Electric hook ups are available at the Family Fun Center. The Riverside and Canoe Livery Campgrounds are ideal for those who prefer to camp in a pristine natural setting. Each site includes a picnic table and fire ring. Campsite price includes three people and $8 a person after that

Fee Info
Campsites: Riverside - $26 (3 persons) Canoe Livery - $26 (3 persons) Fun Center - $35 (3 persons)
Price
$26.00 - $150.00
Hike In
Hocking Hills State Park is located in in Ohio
No reviews of Hocking Hills State Park yet...
Close proximity to natural attractions

Hocking Hills State Park, Oh-Site 89. https://thehockinghills.org/

Hocking Hills State Park offers close proximity to most of the popular natural attractions…Old Man’s Cave, Ash Cave, Cantwell Cliffs, etc….but for a tent camper that prefers solitude and space, I found it unappealing.

I did arrive late on a Monday evening, mid-October and got one of the last available sites. Packed on a Monday night!

I found the camping sites a bit cramped both in depth and width. Site 89 and 90 shared the same parking pad. Limited flat locations existed for a tent and my tent footprint is fairly small. You do have a firepit and picnic table with all three in fairly close proximity, so you must be extremely cautious with wind direction when deciding for a fire, else you’ll have embers dotting your tent and picnic table. Even though the neighbors were trying to be respectfully quiet…you heard every conversation and saw their every move.

No electric, which is fine in my book…the water spigot is centrally located on the loop and happened to be next to my site.

The restroom/shower facilities were not well cared for upon my visit. The floors were very muddy and trash was piled up in the corner of one stall and out of necessities.

Construction and dump truck noise started early with a project behind the restrooms.

The visitor’s center was well-stocked and the employee was pleasant. Cell service is unavailable and even sketchy at the visitor’s center. Wood can be purchased at the visitor’s center.

Close proximity to local attractions and a swimming pool are likely the big draw.

Knowing that I prefer solitude and distance when camping, I’ll likely not return but choose nearby Lake Hope State Park for my local visits.

Amazing!!

We took our family vacation at the end of July to Hocking Hills State Park. The campsite was amazing and we really enjoyed being there. We absolutely will be returning next year. The hiking trails were amazing and my family really enjoyed the hikes.

Amazing state park!

This state park was so amazingly beautiful to me. It was completely unexpected. This campground is basically in walking distance to the old mans cave trail head. This hike is a must and is not strenuous whatsoever. The campground had a pool (closed while I was there) and had nice showers/full bathrooms. Ash cave is another hike in the area that was beautiful.

Campground with good extra's

I've been camping here since the late 80's and it has been the best place for camping I've ever been. Now when I say that I'm talking about the camping only, because that's what I come to this website for, is actual campground reviews not park reviews. The amenities are very good for being constructed in the late 80's or early 90's. The showers are very good they even have heated floors for the winter. Their is many water fountains and water spigots.  Their is two playgrounds for children. One is a very old swing set the other is more updated. Their is a trail on each end of the campground that leads to Rose lake, which I did catch a bass at by the way. The campsite does have volunteer's that keep the bathrooms and campsites maintained. The campground entrance is nice with a decent store with fire wood' ice and camping essentials and as you would imagine it is a little over priced. Now be prepared for the Racoons they're pretty bad ass, they WILL get into your things at night so please put anything food related in your vehicle. I have camped all over the united states and this is by far one of the best campsites in America.  I'm a tent camper so I recommend spots 140, 141, 161, and 162 these sites are the most spacious. Enjoy this awesome campground everybody.

Ok campground in a beautiful place

Hocking Hills State Park is a very beautiful natural wonder in Ohio, but the state park campground was ok. The main complaint my group had was with the bathrooms. The women's bathroom near our site had 4 stalls - none of which had doors which would close. They were beautiful big, heavy wooden doors, but each was too big to actually close and lock the door! Fixing this may take 1-2 days work, but someone could easily remove the locks, run the doors through a saw to cut off an inch, stain and seal the exposed wood, and re-attached the locks. Old Man's Cave has a brand new welcome center, but the campground still has bathroom doors that don't close. It doesn't make sense to me.

The only other complaint is that the asphalt parking areas at each site are fairly small and there is no parking provided for extra vehicles. Having a large group with people driving separately makes it difficult as there is one parking spot on a site (if you set up a camper).

Other general notes: Many of the sites have a lot of slope, as you are in the hills, though each appeared to have at least one small flat area. The showers are fairly open, with curtains on each shower and a large curtain separating the shower area from the rest of the bathroom. They have a bench, hangers for towels, and a shelf for soap. The showerheads themselves are very nice and always had warm water! Another newer bathroom we visited (near the pool) had been remodeled recently, but was significantly dirtier than the old one. There was mud and toilet paper all over the floor and it was smelly.

Overall, the campground is in a great location. You can easily hike to Old Man's Cave, Rose Lake, Cedar Falls, and the Devil's Bathtub. Most of these trails lead to other areas 4-5 miles away as well. And being within walking distance of the trails, you don't have to worry about parking (and boy was it crowded this Labor Day weekend).

Something for everyone

We stayed on an electric site with tents and we were impressed with how clean and organized the camping areas are. The shower houses were well maintained, though some of the restrooms are aging. The maps/photos do not do justice to the terrain. Like the trails, be prepared to be on a hill, as most sites sit on the hillside. But with easy access to the hiking trails, a fishing lake, and several swing sets for our son, we will absolutely be returning next year.

Fave Midwest State Park

I get asked "where should we go camping or hiking in the Midwest?" Hocking Hills State Park is always my go-to answer.

It has a ton of different terrains, it's easily accessible from Columbus, OH, and has great hiking opportunities.

This particular campground is amazing because it's located nicely to many hiking trails but far away that you aren't overly crowded so you still get the feeling that you're in nature.

I've been here a ton growing up in the horse campground area, but most recently was there for tent camping. We were surrounded mostly by RVs, but we fit in quite nicely into our site.

The sites were nicely spaced out and the hiking trails were all nearby.

Great place!!!!

Clean, located right on Old Mans Caves.  Friendly staff.

Beautiful area, but a lacking camp ground

The trails and sites are great in this area. Gorgeous waterfalls and most trails have short hikes to the main site to see, great for those kids who hike 5 steps and then complain. The downside of our trip was the camping. The showers and bathrooms looked like they were nice at one time, but have had some poor maintenance over the years. I couldn’t tell if they ever cleaned the facility the whole week we were there. The floor was always muddy, smelled of urine, there are no hooks for toiletry bags to be hung from, the mens had only 2/3 sinks working and 1/2 soap dispensers operating properly. The shower I used had a large section of the tiles on the ground missing along with screens in the windows not being there. It did not seem to have a ventilation/exhaust system and made the bathroom even more un bearable. The campsites are tiny and on top of each other. There was also no palatable water available around the campsites. You had to travel down the hill about a mile and a half to the main building to get some. Maybe it was the season but there were a ton of flies everywhere around the camping sites, the trails seemed to not have this issue. The plus was that we never saw a mosquito and that there is a decent pool available at no cost to the campers. Overall it was ok, but I would likely not stay there again.

Beautiful area and campground

We loved the hocking hills area and the campground was nice and quiet! We camped off on a side loop which was awesome. Only downfalls to this campground was our site off the pad for camper was very muddy and when it rained all the mud washed over our rug and stuff. The other downfall is that the bathrooms are very dirty. We would camp in the full hook up area if we go again

Also the last day when we dumped I washed my hands in bathrooms by the pool and they were so much nicer! If you need to shower I would drive up there!

The pool was refreshing after long days of hiking but the 15 min mandatory rest for adults and kids on the hour was a little different for us as we have never been at a pool that did that!

The trails and areas around are incredible!! Pictures do no justice! We will go back again one day!

Have you camped here?