Canton, NEW YORK

Most Recent Canton Camping Reviews
Fine camping 1000 islands

NYS may get tons of flack for its politics and politicians. However they're doing it all correct in their state parks. This park is amazing. The views of the ST. LAWRENCE River are amazing. You're around some of the best fishing in the country. We'll. Manicured campground. It's huge by the way. Tons of playgrounds and swimming. Always clean everything. Always friendly staff and campers. Inexpensive I mean really inexpensive. You're 10 min from Alexandria Bay. Boldt castle, singer castle, you can go on river cruises and view these beautiful islands and homes on them. Watch the cargo ships cruise the channel. Electric and water on many sites. Cottages cabins and primitive sites available. Hiking trails all over the park. There's a marina, boat launch and boat rentals. Docking. You can even day trip it use public grills and still enjoy everything the park has to offer. We have so much fun here. It's hard to pack and go home.

Fine camping 1000 islands

Nice but not the nicest NY State Park

This is a HUGE state park campground with 355 sites (although a number of them were being restored when we were there). Most of the sites are on the lake; some have more of a direct view while others have a filtered view through the trees. The sites are very close together and some have trees to provide privacy, but many do not. We were fortunate to have an empty site on either side of us, otherwise it would have felt very crowded. Site 27 did not have an obvious “driveway” and it looks like the last rainfall caused the person in this site to get stuck in the mud as tire tracks remained. The sites are also littered with pinecones and tree roots, so you must be cautious not to trip on them. The bathrooms are clean but small and don’t have air dryers, hooks, or garbage receptacles. The showers had been shut down for the season, but we received a phone call in advance letting us know of this and the alternative available showers in a nearby park. There is one garbage/recycling area in the park. There is a paved roadway that goes all the way around Fish Creek Pond and Square Pond, making it good for bicycling or walking. Nice amphitheater. Also saw basketball and volleyball nets plus a very small swing set

Glorious sunsets and an even more beautiful morning view!

50 sites, full hookup ($40), water& electric ($35) and tent ($??). Has the feel of an RV park with three rows of sites plus some more (I think the tent sites) closer to the road. Not much separation between sites. The lucky ones get beachfront sites with unobstructed views; we were in the second row. The beach was closed for the season when we were there; the campground is open May- September and an on-site caretaker is there the entire five months. Gorgeous sunsets. Coin-operated showers($1 for approximately 15 minutes)– did not use so cannot say how they were. Playground. Clean restroom but the women's only had one operable stall. Although there was a hot water spigot, I was not able to coax any hot(or even warm) water out of it. No defined quiet hours but it was very quiet by 8:30 pm.

Amazing views!

This campground was hard to beat! All the spots are on the water with great views of the lake! Full bathrooms and showers available! 👍🏼

The best beach sites

I just love the culture and sites at this place

Spacious

We stayed at Blue Jay 8/28-9/31. We were very happy with the amount of space allotted to each site. All the sites I saw were even. The bathrooms were conveniently located. Hot water in the showers is a plus. Lots of lake front, boat launches and swimming areas. Convenient to town, hiking and other activities.

D10 and friends

Another large, well maintained and facilitated campground. At least 200 sites with spaces for tents and RVs with electric. Reasonably spread out, some sites are relatively isolated and give the feeling of being in nature and in the woods/by the water while others are more or less in a field. I found the perfect site D10 tucked away at the end of a short driveway directly on the water with a little walk out to a small rocky outcropping perfect for catching the sunset or watching the boats and day go by. Bathrooms were decent and reasonably places, never being too far from anyway. Plenty of water was available throughout. The entire island itself is an interesting area and can be explored by bike to make for a great day of site seeing and local immersion. Alexandria Bay is not far away too and is essentially the only civilization you’ll find around, with plenty of bars restaurants and shops, as well as boat tours around the thousand islands are and to the Boldt Castle. The Boldt castle is an awesome adventure. For about $20 you get a boat ride over and can spend as little or as much time as you want on the island exploring the grounds and the buildings. The history of the building and in the building gives pretty good insight and background to what is and is on Wellesley Island, where you are staying.

Open, tightly packed, busy campground

Beggars can’t be choosers and when you’re winging it and it happens to be Labor Day weekend, you take what you can get. This place is not my ideal… It’s a large campground that’s well kept, well maintained with good facilities and is located on the St.Lawrence River. However, sites are tightly packed and a lot is in open areas where you’re camping with all of your neighbors, good or bad. Personal preference but, I prefer seclusion, separation, quiet. I don’t want to see my neighbor much less 100 of them all in the periphery. I was in the “never have I ever” conversation with the young group of partiers near me as well as there music selection. (It was only one group but it brought down the vibe). The place is nice. Sunset and sunrise were great. If you like living in a field out of your tent or R.V., this place is just fine. If you want to feel like you’re in nature and away from the world…look elsewhere.

Ultimate family spot

This place is my wife’s favorite place to go camping. She’s been going every summer since she was a baby and now we send our kids with our parents on their yearly trip if we can’t make it. Every site is on the water which is perfect for canoeing, kayaking, boating, etc. The atmosphere is unmatched for any site I’ve ever been to.

Great Views!

Waterfront camping available. Sites suitable for tents and for RVs

Nice

Staff was very helpful! Clean place. Easy to find as well! Prices were a little more expensive but they do a discount for good sams

Nice place

We had fun swimming there. The beach didn’t really have any sand. But had stone steps to walk into the water. They had a life guard on duty. The playground was extremely nice! We will definitely camp there in the future.

Amazing

We will definitely be back! The owners were extremely helpful. We showed up last minute and they fit us in. Super nice! My son loved the playground. Right behind gals ice cream. Park was clean! Bathrooms were nice. We didn’t have any issues at all!

Nice park

Walking areas. Access to water for swimming.

Lovely

Great place. Nice camp store. Access to the water great for boating and swimming. Kring point has islands as well you can jump off the rocks into the water.

No hookup

When we got there there was no one in the sign in station. No electricity or water hookups. We reserved online and there was a mix up. We reserved 3 days got there and found out there was no hookups we were told if we cancelled we would only get a few dollars back. Pool looked nice

Clean facilities, concrete pad to back in on or pull thru’s 🤙🤙👍👍

One of the finest and looks to be expanding! Clean facility clean pool yes pools! And a TIKI BAR!! It’s rated 10/10 for a reason! Come check it out! Don’t bring groceries either! There is a price chopper with in walking distance!

Beautiful but crowded

We love Coles Creek because we have two little ones and they are all about riding their tricycles around the grounds. People drive super slow and watch for kids, so that’s great. There is swimming in a few places. The water is chilly but refreshing. There are some waterfront sites that are beautiful but we have been unable to get them because they are highly sought after. We always get stuck in the sites that are in the middle of the field. They are pretty close together but people tend to be community oriented at this place. We always make new friends when we go. Bathhouses are clean. Water and electric available. No sewer, but there is an adequate dumping station, with three lanes. We book this campground about twice a summer. Recommend!

Amazing campground

Amazing prices and pool is incredible, campsites are semi private. Playground is great for the kids.

Something For All Camping Styles

The West side of the campground is reserved for primitive tent campers with a few choice sites right on the water. These sites generally have tent platforms which is a good thing. On my recent trip there the ground was saturated and boggy. Not sure if that is normal or was just due to wet weather this spring. These platform sites are all hike-in, with a few of them located a good distance from the camp road. Each of these sites has its own outhouse. The one on my site was cleaned once or twice over the course of five days. There are other sites on the west side, not located on the water, but closer to your vehicle so you don't have to carry gear in and out. These sites are also close to water spigots. On the more developed side of the campground things are much as you would expect at a NYS campground. The sites are not especially private, but they come in all sizes. There is a beach with canoe rentals and swimming, an amphitheater, showers, a recycling center and a dump station. Wood and ice are also offered for sale. I'll take the quiet privacy of the west side, but there is plenty on offer for all different camping styles at Meacham Lake.

Not at all impressed

I give it a 1 star because the lady at check in was wonderful. Great to work with. Otherwise the park isn’t worth any stars. The sites are tight and difficult to back in if someone is across the road. The bathroom/shower building was filthy and smelled horrible. Also the park is so spread out you have to drive to get to anywhere. I would recommend to not waste your time or money on this park.

We love this park

We come here every year. We book early so we can get a water front site. I’m not sure what the other reviewer meant by not being able to get in the water. Everyone swims, kayaks, and paddle boards off their sites. Until 2018 you were not able to get in the water on the St Lawrence side of the park (the campground is in a cove) but the life guards told me last year they allow it now. There’s a great guarded beach if you have young ones with a newer playground right next to it. They pick up your trash everyday, just leave by the road. And on Saturdays a ice cream truck rolls through after dinner!

Beautiful large park

We stayed for a weekend and were lucky enough to get a premium site on the water. We stated in site 206 which was very large and had a private little beach area.  There are two totally different areas to camp so I would look closely at the campground maps. Many of the sites deeper in the woods looked damp and buggy to me but we have had a very cool wet spring. The park is kept up beautifully, the bathrooms were very clean and the staff very friendly. Large beach and playground. The cabins looked very nice also although we only saw them from the outside.  Be sure to visit the nearby Eisenhower Locks and see the ships go through. Really fascinating! I have read that Verizon has good service there but my AT&T service was not good and kept bouncing  off Canadian towers so be careful!

Family with kids get away location

This campground has the best staff you can find in northern New York. The whole time they are open they have activities planned for the kids all summer long. The staff is always smiling and welcoming you into the campground. Quiet and comfortable place to stay. If your kids like to read. There is place they can find a book and read a book.

Seasonal

Been seasonal campers for awhile. Great place to camp if you want to have fun and meet great people.  The owners are amazing as nd great with kids. Highly recommend this campground.

Great family campground!

My mom and dad camped here and I visited as an adult.  Now I am carrying on the tradition with my own kids.  Been camping here for several years.  If your looking for a fun and friendly place to relax then Pine Ridge Park Campsite is the place to be.

Very relaxing..

This Campground is very relaxing, the folks here are friendly the staff is great too.

Pine Ridge Park Campgrounds is the best place to go.

The camp grounds is the best family owned place to camp. They do alot with the children. They celebrate all the holidays. They also, want the campers option on ideas to improve the camp grounds. They listen to the campers ideas and do their best to make it happen. They keep the camp grounds clean and safe.