Canisteo, NEW YORK

Most Recent Canisteo Camping Reviews
Great place to be.

Redneck lite I heard someone call it. It's fun and relaxing. Safe and fun for kids. Great little store and arcade. There's a pool. Nice big pool. Sometimes live music. Very laid back and happy. Daily activities including hay rides and a bunch of decorated wagons being towed by 4 wheeler for the kids. Mini golf needs work. But the have plans to fix it. We had a blast.

Small but all you need in one stop!

Our family loved the modern cabins which are available in my of Pennsylvania's state parks. I'd rank any other park that we visit with a five star rating. The staff at other parks will let my family check in before 3:00pm if the cabin is ready.The swim area is one of the best around. Playgrounds are fun& the snack stand is a little expensive, but delicious!I think we picked the week with the most rain of the year to camp but it was still a lot of fun. The hike around the lake is not that long and a pretty easy walk. We did it with a 5 year old and he had no complaints. The nature talks were really fun for the kids and interesting for the adults.

Well kept

Sites are pretty level and well kept. The bathrooms are great! Remote, cute little place! They maintain the place well! There are a few trails close by. Nothing crazy but nice to have something close. Not far from cherry spring. We stayed at site 25. We were right next to the bathroom. Convenient, but did hear some traffic from other campers but not bad.

Rustic

Small sites with porta potty’s, did not stay found another campground

Best campground for the fall

Clean family friendly and walking distance to the overlook of the Grand Canyon. Bathrooms are clean and well maintained. Sites are large with plenty of room. Park Rangers are kind and available if needed. Kid area playground.

Perfect Campsite

Perfect Campground, has everything you need. Fishing is great and the staff is uber helpful.

Beautiful Gorge

After spending several very quiet nights in sparsely occupied campgrounds, we arrived at Watkins Glen to a full campground. The Six Nation Campground is comprised of six loops, each named after a tribe, with a total of over 300 sites. It looked like some of the sites were being rehabbed. The Mohawk Loop is the only one with electric hookups. There are also cabins, but I did not see them. Rates vary depending on how many nights you spend, whether you have an electric or non-electric site, and if you are a NY resident or not. Although the sites are spaced a decent amount apart, most do not have trees or any other barrier to separate them. However, despite our loop being completely full, we did not feel too close to our neighbors. The bathroom/shower facility was reasonably clean. There are two shower stalls and four toilets, and I feared it might be overwhelmed when the loop was full, but I never had to wait.

There is a large day-use area with some nice playground equipment and there are additional playground areas (not as nice) in the loops. There is also a swimming pool but since we were there in October, it had already closed for the season (despite temperatures hovering near 90 degrees)! Normally, there is a trail that leads from the campground to the South Rim Trail, from which you can access the Gorge and other trails, however, due to recent heavy rains, this trail was closed when we were there. There are three access points to the trails: south entrance, upper entrance, or main entrance. From any of these, you can do a loop or just part of the trails. The most popular Gorge trail can get very crowded. We arrived at 10 am on a Tuesday in October and by the time we left at noon, the trail was much more crowded. I can only imagine how crowded it could get on the weekends (judging by the size of the parking lot).

We travel a lot around the country and as such, trash and recycling policies can vary greatly. There was a sign on all the dumpsters listing materials accepted for recycling so we assumed we should use one dumpster for all garbage and recycling (this is how it was in Acadia NP). It wasn’t until later that we saw on a bulletin board that there is a recycling bin near the camp office. This could easily be confusing and could easily be remedied with additional information on the sign indicating where to bring recyclables!

I like Flint Creek a lot. Its quiet and peaceful.

However, dont expect any cell phone service. I've had friends who climbed up on top of their RV and still, no signal. It's out in the middle of nowhere, hard to find but extremely worth it

Beautiful park but campground not as nice as other NY state parks

Ranger Review: Men’s Rebel Stretch Shell Jacket at Letchworth State Park

CampgroundReview:

I’ve visited Letchworth State Park, known as the Grand Canyon of the East, in the winter and the summer, but this is the first time in autumn and the first time camping. Although this very large state park is starkly beautiful, the campground is not as nice as other New York state parks we have recently been to. We were in the 600 loop, the farthest from the camp office and closest to the Genesee River (although we could not see it from our site). The sites on the outside of the 600 loop were larger and more private; most of them were pie-shaped and had many trees that provided ample separation. The sites on the inside of the loop were much smaller and less private. The bathrooms were reasonable but dated. The showers did not look very inviting and although I did not use them, I overheard someone comment they were the worst showers they had ever experienced!

I highly recommend the free tour of the Mt. Morris Dam on the other side of the river from the campground. The tour is interesting and lasts approximately one hour. Offered at 2 pm in the offseason and twice per day during the summer.

It rained almost the entire time we were there, so we didn’t take any long hikes. We did a short hike to the Lower Falls. The footbridge was closed for repairs when we were there. The Middle Falls and Upper Falls can be seen with very short walks. There is also a restaurant in the park which was ok but not fantastic

.……………………………………..

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, we tested the Men’s Rebel Stretch Shell Jacket by Red Ledge. The price of this jacket is much less than many other available brands, so we were interested in checking it out and ordered one for my husband.

Positives:

• Affordable price
  • Workmanship appears to be solid and of good quality.
  • Seams are all sealed. Feels comfortable, although the material has a slightly rubbery feel
  • Water beads up very well
  • The waist is adjustable.

Negatives:

• The hood adjustment is a bit awkward
  • There are no zippered air vents at the armpits
  • The front Rapid entry zip pockets are designed to protect your cell phone from rain, but it makes it slightly awkward for slipping your hands in.
  • Ordered size large because the sleeve length on the XL would have been too long, but this did not leave a lot of room for layering.

Bottom line:

Although it is well made and a good value for the price, it is not as functional as my husband would have liked.

Campground in the forest ON the Allegheny River.Not a parking lot! Fishing and Kayaking only feet away!

20 Miles from A.S.P. On the riverfront! Great family campground!

Great stay

We stayed on two different sites over 5 days. A very busy park, lots of reservations.
The gate house was closed so we managed reservations by phone. Nice bathrooms and showers. All options available FHU, WE, primitive. Beautiful mountains and Lake. We visited the Grand Canyon of PA during our stay.

The owners are incredible!

Okey to be honest this campground is a little crowded for my liking, but WOW we’re the owners just the nicest people! My boyfriend and I showed up on Labor Day weekend having trouble finding a camping spot in the area due to the holiday weekend. They accommodated us and actually made us a space in their campground. It was right next to the river and actually very nice! They ever had karaoke at night, which was fun and different! Great place !!

Nice place to camp!

Very large campground with a lot of spots! The park is nice and has a beautiful gorge trail close to the campground. Right outside the park is the town of Watkins glen, which has cute stores and restaurants! The Watkins glen international is close by and we got to see some racing , which was really neat! Would recommend this spot.

Nice

Nice campground. Clean Friendly staff. A lot of outdoor features for kids which were closed while we were there.

Decent

Nice pool but rough terrain.

Great campground

We had the best time at this campground. Walked the Creek, played in the waterfall and talked with friendly neighbors.

Huge sites, great facilities!

Very friendly and clean. Campsites were enormous. I will be back.

Well maintained, manicured campground

Large open grassy campsites that are obviously maintained and manicured. Friendly guy Pat at the gate helped me and and chatted with me for a while bout photography and the area. 3 loops, 150 sites, clean bathrooms and showers, boat ramp, beach/picnic area, a few short trails

Impressive...

What an impressive, pristine, and maintained park and campground. A good trail system, plenty of overlooks, good facilities, restaurants and shops. It’s one of the better parks I’ve visited. Campground is standard but elevated by its context

Great campground

Beautiful scenery, great campgrounds, hiking trails, historic town and area to go site seeing for the day. If you like Watkins Glenn road course right around the corner

The stars

This is one of the darkest places that I have ever been. They go to a lot of trouble to make sure that it stays dark. There are no lights in the bathroom at the campground but that’s a sacrifice for the dark sky and they give out red cellophane to put over flashlights that are too bright. The stars were so bright during our visit that I could probably have counted over 1000. I would love to go back with a telescope when the kids are a little older.

Great activities, friendly hosts, full hook ups!

Close to wine country you will find this gem of a family campground. Dog and kid friendly with activities such as wagon rides, arts and crafts, movie night and various themed weekend events. The hosts were super friendly and welcoming during our entire stay. An easy back in site with full hookups (B10) backed against a row of trees and a field that provided much entertainment of squirrels and birds. There is a camp store with very reasonable prices and accepts credit cards. Wood ($4) and ice ($2) are also for sale. There are two small cabins to rent along with a couple of family tent sites. The bathrooms/showers were clean near the camp store. Amenities include a pool, mini golf ($1/person), two playgrounds, horseshoes, a recreation center with games and movies, basketball and shuffle board. There are many seasonal campers at this campground, but all seemed friendly and welcoming as well. It truly seemed like one big happy family there.

Great spot for camping with dogs

This was a great campground. Just be advised that if you plan to camp with just a tent you will have to cross a creek to do it, so make sure to have an elevated, AWD/4x4 car or truck to help with the process. Showers were great and with consistent hot water, but it’s only one temp, no adjustment. The bathrooms are clean and they provide poop bags for your pups.

Beautiful, Friendly, Quiet

We had a great experience here at Beaver Meadow. The terrain was hilly and fun to navigate, the store was well stocked, the fish in the pond were hungry and active. The golf cart rental was pretty steep compared to all other campgrounds.

Wonderful campground

Stayed there the August 2-4. Great little campground. Very friendly staff. Minutes away from a town and the gorge. Hiking trail from the campground to the gorge! Highly recommended!!

Favorite place to camp

No electricity or water hook ups, very secluded, has a pond to fish in, by far my most favorite place to camp

We go camping at newtown at least 2 or 3 times a month. Its a great place.

Beautiful views

Highly recommend going to the middle falls at night to see them lit up (when driving watch out for bears, deer, and raccoons). Many opportunities to hike as long or as little as you want, or just drive through and stop at the many viewpoints. The park has several spots to grab a bite to eat, and just outside the park is small town convenient for whatever you may need.

Perfect getaway

The campgrounds are not too close together, allowing you to have a little spot in the woods to yourself. All spots have a picnic table, a fire pit, and room for 2 cars. Each loop of campsites has a clean bathroom and shower facility. About $25 a night, which was definitely worth it. The location in the park is super convenient for driving to the falls or finding a trail to hike. Will definitely be back

Quiet oasis near busy trail

We stayed in the Tuscarora village loop.  The sites there were non-electric.  There was one central bathroom/shower house, so if being close to a restroom is important, choose your site accordingly.  Some of the campsites were quite a walk from the facilities.  Many of the sites back up to the woods, making them feel more spacious.  There are also sites that are very close to together and we saw several extended family groups using adjoining sites - one for cooking, one for sleeping and one for hanging out. here is a wonderful playground in the Tuscarora loop.  There’s another great playground next to the swimming pool.  The town of Watkins Glen is adjacent to the park and has lots of little restaurants and shops - even a Ben and Jerry’s scoop shop!  The town itself gets very crowded with people arriving on tour buses to see the waterfalls, and the bottom half of the Gorge Trail can be very busy.  The rim trails and the upper half of the Gorge Trail were much less crowded.