Mesita, NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Mesita Camping Reviews

This was a true Gem! We stayed the evening here and we were greeted with friendly faces! The spaces were amazing level and wide Each site had a fire area and a covered picnic area nice concrete area at each site! Walking trails and beautiful lakes for fishing!

Magical Healing Place

I visited this magical place. It is absolutely beautiful. During the day the myriad of plants are enchanting. At night the stars and sounds otherworldly. And the healing energy of Michaela and Ernesto brought me back into light. Forever grateful.

Nice for overnight

Nice place for an overnight stay. Owner is nice, laundry, showers & restrooms. Close to highway, which you hear, but nice stop for just an overnight. Takes Good Sam & Passport.

Beautiful view

its actually called Coronado, not Corondado. So don’t type that into your gps My boyfriend and I took a 13 state journey this summer over the course of 3 weeks and this was one of my favorite campsites we stayed at. 👍🏻🏕 If you stay there I highly recommend camping in site r7 or the sites that have the little huts. The view of the Sandia mountains was absolutely incredible. There’s also a tram that will take you up the Sandia mountains that’s the longest tram in North America, 2nd longest in the world. It was beautiful. You can hike up the trails to a cabin built in the 1930s that is simply worth the hike up in the thin mountain air. 10/10 would highly recommend this site!

1st time Rving

This was are 1st time trying out our 5th wheel. We live in Albuquerque and wanted to try something close to home. This was a nice park located next to a lake that can be fished with a license. RV park is part of Isleta Casino and free shuttle service is offered from your Rv to the Casino. We would definitely stay again, only draw back is it's close to the railroad station and the train blows its horn. Paid about $35 nightly for full hookups.

Urban campground

We stayed here for our annual Cub Scout camp out. We tent camped around a group site. It’s next to the Coronado Monument and the Rio Grande with an awesome view of the Sandia mountains.

Amazing, well kept and beautiful!

There aren’t many electric sites if that’s important to you and some say they’re no level. Ours was.

Land of enchantment

New Mexico is a land of wonders and beauty in every turn. From its famous green or red chili and the smell of roasted chiles in the streets to the beautiful sandia mountains that shimmer at sunset to the many parks and recreation areas to explore. New Mexico truly is like no other state and must be on your to bucket list!

Does the job.

Stopped here overnight on our way to the Grand Canyon. Small KOA with very basic amenities. The lava field is neat. They will deliver food to your camper which was nice. Kids enjoyed the doughnuts in the morning. Nothing fancy but the people were nice.

Great place to stay and nice environment!

Nice spots Complimentary chocolate chip cookies Helpful and nice staff Good showers Good location Quiet and peaceful

Worth the trip

Been there a couple times. Enjoyed the fishing, accessibility to the casino, golf course and lakes! Lots to do in a small area! I will go back!

I never knew.

I grew up in this part of the state, but never knew this one existed.  It’s a small campsite and not much more then vaulted toilets. But it was a very beautiful campsite. There was only a few people camping so it was very quit and peaceful. Easy access to shopping in Grants and real close to many other attractions like Bluewater lake, El Morro, and the Ice Cave. I would happily camp here again.

Road Trip Gem

Found this campsite heading west on I-40 on a memorial day weekend road trip last minute. Had 40 designated campsites with about 1/2 reservable online and 1/2 first come first serve. They also allow dispersed camping along the lake and there were probably 50+ groups of people in RVs and trailers comfortably spaced.

Wild horses roaming around the lake were also pretty cool.

We took a designated campsite overlooking the lake and added this park to the list of places to return to.

Memorial Day Weekend At Coal Mine Campground

We were parked in a vacant spot since Thursday and on Friday afternoon, a forest service employee came and put up a sign on our spot saying it was reserved and he told us that we would have to leave. When we asked him why the sign wasn’t put up earlier in the week? If it had been we would have parked somewhere else. He got an attitude and just told us to move. We told him that we would and he said well if you park in an available spot we would have to pay again. Well yeah we moved and no we did not pay again. Then to top it off, the spots he claimed were reserved never became occupied all weekend. He did this to several people that were already parked and unhooked for the weekend. We decided that he just didn’t want to have to patrol the weekend or something. Never saw him again all weekend. We didn’t let that ruin the weekend. We had a good time overall.

Convenient to Albuquerque happenings

Good campground with access to all Albuquerque has to offer. Quick biking to the Sandia trails and short drive to hiking. The bus stop is nearby so getting around town is easy too. There is lots to do. The desert is in full bloom right now.

Not a camp site!!

This is just a picnic area, if you have a small tent you can make it work for just a night, one plus is you can hike the South Narrows trail!

Not far from HWY40

This is a good spot to stay the night if your passing though, very clean bathrooms.

Great little RV Park

I spend 3 months here and everyone made me feel welcomed and like family. They have a community room, laundry, showers, and on site LP. The staff are friendly and are so willing to help

Nice place

Go!!!

Tranquility near Old Town

Mother Bosque Gardens is a little retreat in an urban Albuquerque neighborhood. I’ll admit, for me, it was a first for camping in a backyard (that wasn’t my own). Ernesto and Michaela, our hosts, were immediately welcoming and kind. They feel like we could have known them for a lifetime, even though we’ve only met for minutes. Upon arrival, they gave us the tour, and even offered to share a bowl of the aromatic soup simmering upon their stove.

Campsite and Amenities

The campsites (I believe there are two tent sites) are located on the two opposite sides of the house. They are both very private and remarkably quiet. The quiet was surprising being in a city, but it was quieter than many campgrounds we’ve stayed where other groups of campers may be playing music or chatting (loudly) by the fires. The campsite has a private entrance through a gate; parking is off the street. Our campsite space in the side yard, had a table, a couch, and a grill. As stated on the website, and in the Dyrt details, there are no campfires allowed. Michaela and Ernesto welcomed us to use their kitchen, although we preferred some mother and daughter time outdoors during our stay. The tranquil backyard is towered over by old growth trees, and the gardening is exquisite. We shared the space with hummingbirds and roses. The clean bathroom is inside the home where there is a shower available. Michaela and Ernesto even offered the use of their towels. My daughter quickly pointed out that there is Wi-Fi.

The location is very near to the Rio Grande River and the Bosque, which is the natural forest that runs along the Rio Grande. My daughter and I left early in the morning to explore the banks of the flooded Rio Grande (May), and noted the many remarkable birds: violet green swallows swooping along the river exposing their vibrant colors, ducks, egrets, herons, a red-tailed hawk, and several Canadian Geese. We sadly missed the wily roadrunner with three babies in tow. The Rio Grande Nature Center State Park was an excellent starting point for the Bosque.

Mother Bosque Gardens is also located only a few miles from the heart of old Albuquerque, including Old Town, the zoo, the botanical gardens, and the excitement of Central Avenue.

Practical Pointers

As noted on the website, the camp space can only accommodate an 8X8 tent; it may accommodate two smaller tents. We’ve shared a photo of a standard 2-person backpacking tent set up in the space. I believe the website lists a maximum of three campers in the site. A family with children exceeding a total of 3, who can manage to sleep in tents that meet the size restriction, might consider contacting Michaela and Ernesto for permission to bring more than three. Finally, there is a small walk from the parking at the front of the house to the campsite, so plan to make sure your gear is portable enough to carry it the 75-ish feet (I’m not a good judge of distance so it may be anywhere from 40 feet to 100).

Final Impression

My daughter and I planned to spend a day in Albuquerque for some quality time. In honor of new experiences, we tried something new for us by staying at Mother Bosque Gardens. We were both incredibly happy that we did. We had a wonderful experience not only camping in a beautiful garden, but from the opportunity to meet Michaela and Ernesto. We were welcomed strangers, but I couldn’t help but feel like we departed from friends.

Fine print about my ratings

When I use a star rating system, I truly do consider 3 out of 5 to be average and expected. Anything above three stars is superb and awe-inspiring. I save 5 out of 5 for what I feel is the most enchanted locations. After all, dishing out a 5 for every spot I like wouldn’t help other campers (as it doesn’t help me in return). I consider it rather difficult to provide a star rating for Mother Bosque Gardens because it was such a unique experience for me. As hosts, I would absolutely give Ernesto and Michaela a 5 out of 5. The campsite has some natural limitations as compared to a traditional site, so while the campsite was very comfortable, when compared with large campsites surrounded Giant Sequoias or a serene alpine lake, well…that’s just hard to beat. So, I’ve settled on a 4 out of 5.

Booking with The Dyrt

I had the honor and pleasure of booking this trip through The Dyrt even as they were still rolling out the bookings. I found the process to be simple and effective.

Friendly staff and quiet

I requested a site all the way at the back of the koa, and the staff kindly were able to accommodate me. I had a FHU PT. The park is mostly all gravel. The free bfast is cereal, toast and hot coffee.

Not great for tent campers

The tent area is right beside the I-40 and very loud.

Pretty Nice little spot

Found this Campground to be pretty nice overall! Mainly RV's and Campers, in fact I didn't see a single tent or tent site during our stay. The Lots are fairly close together and all have a little covered picnic table area next to the drive through RV slots. Bathrooms and showers worked just fine, though my girlfriend said the womens shower would turn itself off every 30 seconds or so (the mens worked just fine).

It's about 20 minutes north of albuquerque which is nice since you're far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle but close enough to explore the city. We went for the Hot Air Balloon Fiesta and we could see the balloons from the campgrounds early in the morning.

There's also a Bad Ass Coffee down the street which is one of my favorites!

Nice for Rv and travel trailers

We arrived in the evening and only stayed one night. Whe facility was super clean. We walked to nearby restaurants. There was a hot tub open, but the pool was closed.

Large Campground with lake front camping

Great state run campground with options from primitive to full hook ups at great prices. The primitive camping is all along the lake so you can park and walk right in with your canoe or SUP. Playground for the kiddos, lots of areas to explore with the puppers, and plenty of bathrooms and Ramadas available for day use. Boat ramp for those so inclined and good fishing for any anglers out there. The staff running the camp were so enthusiastic and friendly, you’ll want to plan a trip back ASAP.

Hub of Activity

This campsite was efficient, friendly, and had plenty of entertainment available. We walked to the brewery next door and made good use of the dog parks.

Nice big lot. All paved with gravel "yards"

Big lot, easy access. Good condition electric and sewer. Nice picnic tables and trees everywhere.

Perfect spot only a few miles off the 40

Bout 10 free campsites in a beautiful location. Several vault toilets, great spots to set up a tent, landscape is nice but the Sunset was breathtaking. One of the best sites we’ve had the privilege to stay at in the West.

Peaceful mountain top

This is a donation based campground. There are approximately 10 sites. Each is equipped with a metal pavallion, table, and firepit/cooking pit. There are pit toilets. The sites are amply spaced, and there is cleared area in the high desert terrain to place a tent or two. During my stay, we strung our hammocks up in the pavillion. The site is easy access from the road, and about a 15 min drive from closest town, (Grants).

Clean and very well maintained.

This evening campground was very clean and well maintained. They had a pool for guest along with a contentinal breakfast. However it was only beagles and cereal but it was included in the cost of camping.