Artesia, NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Artesia Camping Reviews
Does the job

Does tho job for an overnight stay and no one to disturb you. Literally a spot in the dessert. 4 wheel drive recommended

Empty?

We were travelling through in late September and the camping appeared to be shut down for the season. No one around and just a few back in sites for RV's. Picnic tables were in a grouping and not site specific. Didn't appear to be campfire rings.

Beautiful Area, but no campfires!

We had Bottomless Lakes on our radar to stop for the night as we left Santa Fe to head to Carlsbad Caverns. Looked like a nice enough place, but no campfires were allowed due to a burn ban (didn't even look to be rings) so we opted to continue heading south to see what we could find. Turns out not a lot as we ended up at the Carlsbad KOA, but it was an hour closer to the park the following morning AND they allowed campfires!

Great Access to Carlsbad Caverns

After learning that Bottomless Lakes State Parks do not allow campfires, and striking out at Lake Van (also no campfires and didn't look to be open in late September), we settled on the Carlsbad KOA to be closer to the Caverns the following morning - and they had campfire rings!

The owners were very friendly and even showed us to our spot in their golf cart.

Your typical KOA with lots of camping amenities. Enjoyed a long hot shower and clean restrooms. We appeared to be the only folks outside their camper in the evening.

Was a bit windy, but the landscape allowed for beautiful views all around and a gorgeous sunset.

Doesn’t get closer to Carlsbad Caverns

Simple, no thrills campground. Full hook up and WiFi. Located directly at the entrance to the Carlsbad Canyon National Park. Small restaurant across the street and a general store, gift shop and post office right next door.

Ok but

Nice small lake,but has a Big Racoom troubles.

👍

We just needed a place to stop for the night and this was a great camp ground. Very very nice and clean facilities.

So cool

Camp ground is nice. Not much shade but the lakes are really cool to explore. Very nice facilities.

A fairly secluded and windy desert campground

We stayed here for 4 nights in late November/early December. It is a bit of a drive to get out to the campground from the highway, as you have to circle around the dam the get to the campground. The campground loops are situated up on a hill overlooking the countryside. There is a nice playground underneath a shade cover next to the central bathhouse, which is large and clean. There are trails that go down to the lake boat ramp and a trail that goes between the visitor center/entry booth. This campground was our basecamp to Carlsbad Caverns, which was about an hour drive, if I remember correctly. We enjoyed our stay here, but the wind made us a little worried. There were two days where during the day the wind blew consistently over 25 mph and gusted to 40. Shook the trailer enough that our stabilizer blocks blew away and flagpoles broke. I would stay here again during the winter but I would watch the wind forecast.

Tuesday July 9th 2019

It was hot but not much humidity. Only flies were a nuisance, not many mosquitoes or anything. Campground hosts were a very friendly elderly couple. Price was $14 a night or $40 a week. Older, reasonably clean bathrooms with showers. Water and electric hookups. We could not use the charcoal grills on our visit due to a no burn advisory. Water was cool and amazing, great cliff side scenery, we even hiked. Clean beach to swim at as well.

Kind of boring but not busy

We decided to take our girls tent camping for the first time here. Had a nice spot (D4) and some shade. Was too hot to stay the whole night so we went home. Saw some cool animals and had a raccoon raid the garbage can. Definitely will camp again..during the week of winter in January or February…

Met the need

Had the hook-ups needed and a picnic table, that was about it. Close to the road and tight between the sites with back-in only RV sites for short stays.

Great Spot

Good spot. Nice and flat and very spacious. Not much around. Not really any trees either. We went in November so it was veryyy cold.

Nicest Campground in Carlsbad/Artesia NM area

Gravel level lots. Water pressure 38 lbs but 50 amp power good. Water extremely hard. My water softener did not make a difference. The campground has bbq dinners delivered nightly except Monday. Meal very good. 18 miles to nearest town. Campfires allowed. Staff very friendly. WiFi very iffy and ATT only has 4G.

Good stop between Carlsbad and Artesia NM

Gravel level lots.  Water pressure 38 lbs but 50 amp power good.   Water extremely hard.  My water softener did not make a difference.   The campground has bbq dinners delivered nightly except Monday.  Meal very good.  18 miles to nearest town.  Campfires allowed. Staff very friendly.   WiFi very iffy and ATT only has 4G.

Great

Friendly and helpful owners. Bathroom and shower just like home. Close to town and attractions.

Great little place.

Not much to do in the surrounding area, but the park has nice sites with covered picnic tables at every site. Electric and water hookups. Bathrooms are decent and it has hot showers.

Crowded and unkept

The sites are nicely spaced, close to the water, tables and shade. okay bathrooms and visitor center. It's a place that locals visit frequently. I went on a Saturday, both the campsites and lake were packed. There was litter EVERYWHERE. I usually bring a trash bag and pick up items along my hikes. Not something I could of done here. It's such a shame to see a beautiful park trashed. It made it really hard to enjoy the park. There was a hiking trail that went out the the other 'lakes'. Doesn't seem like anyone goes for the hikes, cause I didn't see anyone the whole time. The 'lakes' are just small murky ponds. Some have campsites next to them. Several folks have died jumping in the smaller lakes, so please refrain the urge! It's an okay place to stop if you are just passing thro and it's the only other thing available. I wouldn't recommend it as a weekend trip.

Loved it

It rained the whole 3 nights I was here in October, but that isn’t the campgrounds fault! It was beautiful and not terribly busy which I liked. I got the bejeezus scared out of me by what appeared to be maybe a bobcat walking back from the bathroom to my campsite—never saw it but it sounded like a crying baby?! Which, honestly, just made it all more awesome.

Clean

Nice lake good fishing and close to town

Clan and nice and quit

Watch for snakes

Clean well maintained

Great fishing and camping right in town

Not a camp ground

Really cool place they supply alot of stock fish for NM

Rv oark

Not great but not bad kinda set aside from the city

Clean nice area

Nice place quit area

Storage parkinh

Sfe place to store rv s or cars

Clean in city

Rv park basically nice area buy the zoo

Clean and cool

Hot! Great place to ride atv s lots of sand and trails. Bring plenty of water

Very clean. Nice dessert atmosphere. Lots of water and places to adventure.

Summer is hot out here bring sunscreen. Watch for snakes as well but overall safe.