Equestrian
About Hancock Campground

Located at the western end of the scenic Kancamagus Highway, this campground serves as an excellent place to start your White Mountain adventure. The nearby Lincoln Woods Visitor Center is the jumping off point for numerous hiking trails leading into the Pemigewasset Wilderness; the Kancamagus Highway is an extremely popular scenic byway with numerous hiking, picnic, and swimming spots; and the town of Lincoln offers many amenities.

National Forest
Hike In
Hancock Campground is located in New Hampshire
Directions
Exit 31 off Interstate 93. This campground is located on Kancamagus Highway (Route 112); 5 miles East of Lincoln, NH.
19 Reviews of Hancock Campground
convenient for day hikes in the whites

Great place to set up camp to get some 4Ks in the whites. Some lovely spots by the water. Open year round!! I have stayed here many times, three times in the winter (it is so nice to have an open bathroom in the winter!) and a few times in the summer. Quiet, clean sites.

Ranger Review: Grand Trunk Review at Hammock Campground, NH

Campground Review: So I would like to start by saying that camping here was not the original plan. We had a backcountry trip that we sadly underprepared for (ran into about three feet of snow right at the beginning of the trail and finally decided to come back when either it's a little warmer or we're a little more prepared. Whatever comes first.)

So we trucked our old, three season boots back to the car and hit the dilemma of where to set up for the night. Luckily -- we were only about ten minutes from one of our favorite campgrounds in New Hampshire. Let me tell you why we like it so much.

First of all- it's first come first serve and only open to the tenting community. This weeds out most screaming children, humming generators, and loud TVs. It's also a pack in- you have to carry your stuff to whatever spot you choose. Generally it's not that much of a hike. We prefer to go as far away from the lot as possible for maximum seclusion, but that didn't happen for us this time around because of all the hardcore early spring campers.

The best part of this camping ground is its views. On a clear night, you can see a ton of stars encompassing around you- the only light pollution coming from you and your fellow campers fire. The river flows right through the campground and makes for some excellent ambiance. Five star for about 12 of the camp spots. The other ones have access to the river but are not directly on top of it.

There are only pit toilets, but there is potable water just at the top of the campground. The fee per night is 24- which it worth it in my opinion because of the spectacular surroundings.

If you want to be close to a ton of great hiking trails, right on the Kancamagus highway for pretty cheap- this is your spot. The friendly campers are just extra.

GRAND TRUNK REVIEW:

As an official Dyrt ranger, I get to test out some awesome gear. So now let's talk about this amazing hammock. The only problem I had with the thing was committing to a color. They've got color combos, patterns and even state flags, which is pretty cool. I went with the turquoise with the Bright orange Trunk straps- and I was extremely pleased with how brilliant the colors look together.

I was a little confused with picking out the tent because I've only ever had ones that come with pretty much everything- but the Grand Trunks are a little different. They come with two carabiners- and the Trunk Straps you can add on (and I would totally recommend this unless you can magaiver something yourself.) each strap can withstand 200 pounds. I got the open double hammock.

This hammock is more than likely intended for warm day use- the fabric is very breathable, which makes it a great choice for hanging out at the beach or at your camp after a nice day. But I wanted to test its limits a little further- so I decided I would spend the 30 degree New England night in the hammock to see how it held up.

Best night sleep of my life! I put a buffer blanket under my sleeping bag just for some extra protection from the cool air coming up, but me and my Dog Sadie slept soundly, warmly and comfortably in our big bright Grand Trunk hammock. Not to mention safely- those trunk straps are so secure! My friend has a four season sleeper hammock and had to go inside the car at 2:30 AM because she was too cold- and her hammock is MADE for that purpose! I was definitely proud of my gear- which is very important to me.

It's also pretty packable. The straps come in a different package- but There's enough room to consolidate into the hammocks main stuffer pouch (especially for backpacking like we were planning). If I had one criticism it would be that the hammock is kind of heavy compared to the ones I've had before. But they also don't have the hardware that Grand Trunk offers or the weight capacity- so I guess it's just a trade off. Totally fair.

All in all- I'm so happy to have been given the opportunity to test this company out and give it a 5 out of 5 ranger review. The hammock did great in below freezing weather, is easy to set up, jazzes my campsite right up and most importantly- My dog loves it. Will most certainly be recommending it to my Friends. Grab your own Hammock Here:

Lovely

This campground is great! I recommend getting a site in the river side away from the street. Absolutely beautiful!

Great campground, try to be closer to the river than the road

Nice first come first serve campground with a lot of separated sites. You'll probably want to be closer to the river (although people will get up early to fish, get on the river etc.) because the is traffic along the road (not awful, but still semi constant).

Mostly vault toilets and water pumps but they seem to be upgrading some of them to flush and running water.

Best off season

We came at the end of October to try to hike Franconia Ridge (there ended up being a blizzard when we go to the top and we had to return in the warmer weather) and we stumbled upon this campground. We were the only ones in it and we picked the site right next to the rambling river. It was amazing. Only a pit toilet- but it's worth it for the beauty and seclusion. Would suggest coming off season- when we returned this summer-- it was packed out!

Noisy

The campgrounds in the Whte Mountains had no available sites besides this one so this is where we went. We got a sight right next to the busy road. Let me tell you, the traffic doesn't stop overnight and we didn't only get to hear the cars but we saw the headlights come through our tent all night. Not the best

Relaxing

After we hiked the 4K's we were tired and needed a close place to stay for one night. Finally we found Hancock and it was very peaceful with no bothers so we could go fall asleep sound. Very pretty and was worth it to stay.

Hancock Campground

We stayed here after hiking mt. Lincoln, Lafayette, and little haystack earlier in the day. I was concerned at first, 5 pm on a summer Saturday night we didn't think much would be available. They had plenty of spots to choose from and they were all freshly raked and clean. The privacy isn't terrible but it certainly isn't ideal, typical for the area however. Not sure if they have redone the bathrooms since the previous poster but they were extremely clean and had brand new fixtures. The host was nice and accommodating, he even collected the money directly from our site so we didn't have to walk back to the front which was quite nice after a long hike. The best part is the river that was just a 1 minute walk from our tent site. It was a little hangout spot for a lot of the campers, relaxing and letting their dogs run after a beautiful day in the nh woods. I would definitely recommend this site for anyone hiking in the area.

Decent USFS Campsite

Popular site right along the banks of the Pemigawasset River. It's very crowded on summer weekends so get there early to reserve a site. I only used a hiker/biker site so no idea about other amenities. Bathrooms were pretty smelly. It has a central location to the town of Lincoln and there are very nice hiking trails right across the street.