the dyrt
About Lake Michigan Rec Area
Drive In, Boat In
National Forest
Lake Michigan Rec Area is located in Huron-Manistee National Forests in Michigan
2 Reviews of Lake Michigan Rec Area
Off the beaten path beauty

LMRA has been a yearly visit for our family for over 15 years. Two loops have put toilets, two have flush. No showers or electric but that is ok because the sites are huge, the quiet is amazing and the location is second to none! We love the trails as the campground is right next to Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area. They have weekly ranger programs for kids as well. The beach is clean and the swimming is amazing!

Ranger Review: Xero Z-Trail Shoes at Lake Michigan Rec Area

This camping spot is a little out of the way, especially being so close to Ludington and the popular Ludington State Park. Here are 3 loops you can camp in and you get a decent amount space, but things can get pretty loud with lots of families camping in this location. It also borders Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area that has amazing hiking options. The Xero Z-Trail shoes I used to do 7 miles of hiking during our stay were amazing for this location. With lots of sandy beach hiking along with forest trails the Z-trails were more comfortable than I thought they would be for that distance. I think I may have blister issues too, but these Xero shoes couldn't have been more perfect!