the dyrt
Adamstown, MARYLAND
Most Recent Adamstown Camping Reviews
Honeymoon July 1999

We chose to go camping here for our honeymoon. The campground offered a lot of hiking trails and swimming. Our campsite wasn't very well maintained as it had a lot of rocks throughout and didn't make for comfortable sleeping. The fire ring to use for the evening to sit at wasn't well kept and we were afraid a fire wouldn't stay well in the ring. We didn't use the amenities that were offered as we mainly used the campground as a place to rest our heads and breakfast as we were doing a lot of touring of Gettysburg.

Best Gettysburg Stay

We are local and love going to Granite Hill for our spring and fall trips. They have friendly staff members that help make your stay pleasant. We live the B section, but there are other great spots, too. Hands-down, this is the best campground in Gettysburg.

Avoid in summer!!

This place is packed with history, but amid going in summer.. it gets to busy and hot to see much.

Great park, easy hike.

Come prepared with all essentials

Great Place to stay

This was a great place to stay! Close t9 everything D.C. has to offer while being far enough away to be in the woods. We went during the fall, but the summer woukd be an ideal time to go so you can enjoy the water park and bay.

Nice family campground

Nice campground for families and couples. Clean restrooms. Camp store has everything you need. New pool and nice playgrounds. Rocking trolley to the Dairy Queen was great.

Great Kayaking

Roland Lake in Baltimore County is a great place to kayak on the Patapsco River. Tons of wildlife, facilities, and amenities for you and your family. The park was clean and it had knowledgable staff.

great place to stop on the AT

I only stopped here for a night while I was hiking the AT, but it was a welcome relief to get to a spot where I could wash off and have indoor plumbing for a night. The sites are nice, but seemed pretty close together. As far as campgrounds on the AT go, this is one of the nicer ones. The place also has fresh drinking water, another welcome site while on the AT.

All around great AT campground!

really cool place in an awesome town

Harper's Ferry is a little town in WV nestled right next to the Potomac River. It's also a convenient halfwayish point on the Appalachian Trail. One of my friends and I stayed here while we were section hiking the AT. The campground is pretty nice, with cabins, tent sites, and RV sites. It's also got a lot of extra activities that you can do. Zip lining, tubing, rafting the Potomac, and even an adventure park, you name it. You definitely won't be bored wile staying at this campground.

Harper's Ferry is a pretty neat place too. There are some great restaurants, cool shops, and make sure to make a stop at the AT Conservatory. There you can see cool pictures of all the people who have through hiked the AT and learn more about it.

Speaking of the AT, there are great hiking and biking trails right around Harper's Ferry. You can even say you hiked all the way to Virginia from West Virginia. Just don't tell anyone that Harper's Ferry is right on the border.

Lots of space

Spent 2 nights at Gettysburg KOA in July while touring Pennsylvania with granddaughter. Very convenient to historical stuff. Large sites, separated by rocks and trees. Quiet and private. It is a KOA, so was pleasantly surprised.

Harpers ferry hike

The hike that leads to the lookout about harpers ferry was fantastic. This hike takes you well above the town settled in West Virginia. While some points are pretty steep don’t let this deter you from completing it. The trail is well maintained, marked, and exciting. It is filled with tons of history and when you walk across the bridge from the town be looking out for all the locks on the bridge that have been left behind by other avid hikers

Patapsco valley state park

This park has a wide range of activities for kids. The hike I did was not very long but was well worth it. The trail was well marked but there was some confusion at one point on where we were suppose to go. Luckily I had an app that kept me on trail. There are some pretty cool Bridges, old houses, and a water fall. I recommend this to any beginner hikers.

A Quiet Corner in a Busy Metro Area

The Oak Ridge campgrounds at Prince William Forest Park are a lovely little campground just outside Washington DC. The sites were large, the facilities are clean and the staff friendly and helpful.

We stayed the last weekend in September for a quick one night stay. We needed to get out of DC and found this spot to be the perfect ticket. There were heavy rains the whole week prior to our stay and when we got to our site (it is one of the lowest spots of B loop) was a little too wet for us (our three kids would have love it, just not us). The campground host was very accommodating and told us to pick any spot on the first come/first serve A loop. We were able to find a very nice spot and the host came to us to change the forms around.

The free firewood is nice but be sure to pick is up (next to the water tower by the entrance to the campground) when you check in so you don’t have to carry it, or make a separate trip. The wood was sitting out, so it was a little wet, but all fresh, no rot. I would recommend having a hatchet or camp knife to split the corded wood to account for the wetness.

The A loop bathroom facility was clean with a nice service sink, but no showers. The B loop facility does have showers and is also very nice (we didn’t swing through C loop so we can’t speak to those facilities).

We went cycling as a family and though did not go too far (young kids) the park is a fantastic place to ride bicycles. There is only one short hiking loop from the campground, but other trails which will take you on a longer loop. All the hiking loops are accessible via car or our choice (once the kids are old enough) bicycle.

We enjoyed our stay and will be coming back, even for a quick one night stay to break up the busy city life.

Pretty waterfall and good stop from Camp David

This is a great place to stop in that it is close to Camp David (historically presidential location). Make sure to drive slowly, as the road to get there is very curvy and somewhat steep grade (if driving eastbound. Recommend using fog lights.

Easily accessible from freeway

The Seneca Creek State Park is convenient, peaceful, clean, and a great place to unwind from the hustle and bustle of the city without having to drive far. Highly recommended!

affordable

The camper cabin was nice and clean. The rest of the facilities were functional, but need some work (bathrooms and showers). Close to the North entrance of Skyline Dr.

Riverside!

Gorgeous spot on the river. Small campground with not a lot of amenities BUT THAT RIVER IS GORGEOUS. Lots of activities - tubing, zip lining, fishing.

Great if you don’t want to travel far

We were at site 430. It was a perfect spot tucked away from the others and a short walk to the restrooms. You can purchase firewood from the camp hosts nearby as well. The fire pit at this site was a little difficult to cook with because the grate was very high and could not be lowered. Overall we had a great time exploring the park especially the nearby railroad track. Would visit again.

Lots of family fun.

We have stayed in the camping cabins here multiple times. We love the animals and activities for the kids. Fall is the best at this campground with the trick or treating and haunted house.

Poor upkeep

Poor upkeep. Picnic tables falling apart and grass knee high. Very disappointed and left the next morning instead of staying a few days as we had intended. Had to drive through a small one lane road that actually went through a pasture field at one point.

Beautiful campground!

Smaller campground, but big on amenities!

Staff was friendly, attentive and the Campground is extremely well-cared for. Sites vary in sizes and are well-defined. They have a great camp store and their mini-golf was just remodeled and a lot of fun to play. In addition to that, there is a bounce pad, shuffle board, horseshoes, chess, over-sized jenga, playground, dog park, gem mining, basketball, bikes, wood, propane, etc. and they pick up trash daily right at your site. All of this in a beautiful wooded spot near Gettysburg.

I highly recommend!

Gettysburg Getaway

Very fun family friendly getaway for the weekend. Close to Gettysburg Battleground.

Great campground by Gettysburg

Great campground within walking distance of Gettysburg

Camping in the Catoctins

My wife and I decided one Saturday morning and came across Owens Creek online. They had reservations available and I jumped on the chance and reserved a spot. Forty-five minutes later, my wife and I packed the car and grabbed the dog and headed out the door. An hour and a half later we were in the mountains and pulling up to a very pretty campground. We quickly found our spot and set up camp. After setting up camp, we went for a walk along the creek and played in the water. We had a great trip. The campsites were spread out enough to give each site its privacy yet not separated too far. I would thoroughly recommend this campground to anyone who has the chance and we look forward to the chance to go back.

Family Camping Success

We had a great time here over a long weekend in August. The check in is a breeze and the staff is super nice and helpful. They gave us a great intro to the park as we were first timers. They informed us that they had a scavenger hunt for the kids going all weekend, they had an outdoor movie scheduled for Friday night, a campfire story time scheduled for Saturday night and crafts scheduled for Sunday morning. This was music to our ears as we camp with our 3 and 1 year old. There is also a pool/water park in the park as well as a nice network of trails. There is plenty of things to do here to keep a family occupied.

We got a site on thr inner loop and it backed to the playground and the bathhouse. The site was spacious. We are tent campers but almost all our neighbors were in an RV or trailer. The site had water and electric which was nice. The bathhouse is standard but also has laundry and an outdoor dish washing station. The campground was quiet which is nice.

This was an amazing weekend for us and we will definitely be back. There is boat rental a short walk down the trsil from the campgrounds and the pool and disc golf course are another short trail walk away.

Great Falls Proximity With Much Much More

I asked myself what was the closest location I could find to Great Falls when making a day of this area. 3 miles was about as close as I could get, and while in this area a lot can happen in 3 miles it was well worth the traffic I faced, the driving in and out of the "city" and the overall discovery of this location as it was.

Let me just start by saying I expected to find this and just go to Great Falls, but had I have known that it had so many different things around I would have probably extended my stay a bit. There was a waterpark and outdoor sports area where you could enjoy so many activities. And then there was the lake itself!! Bike trails, hiking trails and equestrian trails surround this area and I honestly could have spent so much more time just enjoying this space because of all the interesting things there were to do right in front of me.

But with all good things there is also a price point that has to match and I will say that this one is a bit steep at $28 on week days or $31 on weekends for a regular tent camper with no electricity. For those needing hook ups that extends even more so to $37 or $45 for RVs depending on length on weekday to $41 or $50 for weekends.

That really was the deal breaker for me the price. While I was there on a weekday, the following day was a weekend and that hike though not but a few dollars was hard to swallow in an already kind of expensive primitive site.

TIPS:

• If you are a senior make sure to mention this, you get a large discount on sites when staying here.
  • Check out the marina where you can rent paddle boats and other items for water fun.
  • Take the 3 mile drive to Great Falls, it is amazing and if not there on a weekend you will have many of the trails to yourself. During weekends it is a popular spot for families with only a $10 per car price tag.
Another FREE Campsite!!!

Sometimes big reward comes to those willing to walk a little, as is the case with this one. This one is officially marked at the 16 mile mark and if you are willing to go you are rewarded by campgrounds every so many miles. There are only a few spots and it is first come first serve here but well worth it to see the nature around you!!

I didn't know what exactly to expect of this site but when I got there was so happy I tried to get here!!!

Great hiker site!! Fire ring is present and plenty of firewood. Downside the chemical toilet was pretty gross and the picnic table had seen better days.

City Camping With Country Feel

I would say this is one of those spaces that you basically are in the middle of the action without feeling it at all. In fact this entire area is remotely non-remote if that makes any sense. This campground, in the area of the Bull Run incident is one of those areas that even through you have amenities of the city you can quietly reflect on relaxing without driving far.

With that being said, the sites are between $27 and $45 depending on what you are looking for. My primitive site was $27, which was a little steep but again you are given a nice large "family" style camping space with typical amenities.

The showers in the 2 bath houses are both HOT, which was great considering how sore my muscles were from camping for weeks at this point. The restroom was in pretty decent shape but clearly well used. Something I did rely on at this campsite which I typically do not was the camp store, I picked up firewood here and had a nice campfire to relax in the evening. MUCH NEEDED.

I was pretty pleased overall with the campsite, it was not to crowded despite having a lot of other campers staying and it had great proximity to several things in the Manasas area including the battlefield which were interesting ways to spend the day. I even got to check out a live demo of the weapons including muskets and canons which made a cool experience only 5 minutes from camp.

TIPS:

• Sunday Traffic is a bit intense because of a local church so make sure you are being careful, there are a lot of patrols in the area at this time.
  • If you forget something the camp store has just about everything from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
  • Check out one of the over 15 trails in the area designed for hiking, biking and horseback riding. So many options depending on what you are looking for. Also… there are a lot of geocaches in the area if you enjoy that.
Little Piece Of The Outdoors In the Middle Of City

When I was checking out this site I wasn't sure how it would work out exactly. It seemed close to the METRO, which made for a great option when exploring the DC area and had been raved bout as a great escape for those with larger rigs, but how would that translate for me as a tent camper?

I went ahead and booked for the days I would be there in good faith and spent $100 for 5 days ($20 per night) a great deal by far in comparison to a lot of the other sites I had explored.

I arrived later in the evening that I had expected and the booth was closed (something I learned is common practice since they have changed over from cash to reservations only for this site). I found my receipt from my online booking and pulled up a map on my phone of the loops to help me find the site, it was pretty simple as only the B and D loops were open at the time I was visiting.

Traffic in and out of the camp loops are one way and they have signs posted that you need to back into your sites. I found my site which was close to the bath house and before setting up my tent made my rounds. The bath house had 1 shower per bath house per gender with 2 bath houses per loop. I was a little concerned about what would happen if it got busy with those accommodations, however it never seemed to be an issue.

My site was facing the road to the other loops, which initially concerned me about noise, but because of limited traffic due to loop closures it never was an issue either. The site was pretty even but did have some rocks in the area where my pad would be so I had to do a little clearing.

I had a picnic table but no grill at this site, although others did have grills available. I set up my small cooker on the picnic table and while cooking dinner noticed a family of deer grazing close by, a great way to settle in for the evening.

The camp host came by and welcomed me before I was fully set up for the evening and was great!!!

After staying here for a week I was so pleased by the quiet nature of the campground, the overall feeling of the outdoor space (every morning birds and squirrels) and the proximity to the METRO (only about 10 minutes with traffic).

TIPS:

• Reserve online - this is a NO CASH facility which means you CANNOT pay upon arrival so you will have to do so online.
  • Drive slowly - there are a lot of people who use this space as a green space for walking and running. There is no shoulder so you share the road space with those enjoying this space so be careful.
  • No hanging things from trees. Even if you love a hammock you cannot hang them at this park on the trees so make sure you are aware of this before camping here.
  • Book a campfire. You can inquire with the ranger on duty about using the group facility for campfires and gatherings which is located on the back side of the B Loop.
  • Take the METRO if you are going into the District. There are two stations very close to camp (Greenbelt and University Park). Rides vary depending on how far you are going but on average I spent about $10 per day on METRO versus $20-$40 on parking in the district area and I could come and go as I pleased with a little walking as opposed to having to drive aimlessly until I could find parking in garages which can be very difficult. There was also a small charge to park at the METRO daily but still even with this cost it was more reasonable than attempting to drive around the city and a lot faster as well.
Good for RVs

I was there of

Ver Labor Day weekend for Appaloosa music festival. They converted the horse trails and fields into campgrounds for the event so each campsite did t have the usual fire ring or picnic tabke, which was pretty inconvenient. The resprt is more for people wanting to stay in cabins or for thos who have an RV. They had a cute petting zoo and you could go horseback riding as well. There's a cafe and a gift shop on site and a pool area too. Im sure i would jave liked it better if the tent camping was actually part of the resort vs an after-thought.