Adamstown, MARYLAND
Most Recent Adamstown Camping Reviews
Nice family campground

We choose this campground due to its location near an event we were attending. It was last minute and the owner was amazingly accommodating! I called Friday to see about one of the 2 cabins for that weekend and he went to look and offered to call me back. We stayed 2 nights in the smaller cabin (12x8). We affectionately called it our She-shed but it had everything we would need for a quick trip. There are 2 twin beds, a small fridge with freezer, trash can, microwave, coffee pot and AC. Outside there was a picnic table, grill, fire pit and wood available for sale. At the time we were there it was $5 a bundle. The cabin does not have water but he offered to add a splitter to the nearby spigot but we had brought our camping jug. The owners are friendly and fast! They were quick to accommodate any requests and checked on us as we were cleaning up to check out to ask if we needed anything. The camp ground has a dump station, sites with electric and water, primitive sites for tents, access to the river, bathrooms, showers, ice and a playground. There is a barn which housed a pavilion for events and a large expanse of grass for the kids to play. Everyone was really friendly and we had a great time. I definitely recommend a stay if you're in the area.

Great for little ones

A group of 4 families visited this lovely quiet spot.

Pros: Quiet Lovely little hike for young kids right out of the camp site Close to DC so am easy drive Handicap accessible Lovely little boardwalk to a small creak past a saw mill

Cons: Bathroom was just so-so. I prob wouldn’t want to shower there but - your are camping!

Beautiful Area, Not Crazy About The Lake

I LOVE Catoctin Mountain Park in general!! The trails are well-kept and the scenery remains as natural as possible (I hate it when you go to some parks and it looks forced or man-made).

The Houck area is pretty wide-spread with sites ranging from dispersed walk-in to camping by the lake. There’s pretty much something for everyone.

But, let’s talk about the lake for a sec… Hunting Creek Lake is a 75 acre man-made lake near Cunningham Falls. Ironically, all the streams and creeks in the area couldn’t make a sufficient lake, therefore one was created. It’s labeled as great for boating, kayaking, and fishing. There were even paddle boats available. It’s quite picturesque from the get-go.

But, once we got in, I have to admit I was thoroughly disgusted. I love swimming in natural water features, but this kinda creeped me out. There was all sorts of algae and growth in the water. We would hit pockets and cold and warm water, which felt like you were walking through someone’s urine — there wasn’t much circulation or movement of the water, so it gets stagnant-feeling. Not to mention the abrupt drop-off when you enter into the lake. Nothing natural feeling about this place.

I give the park 5 stars, but the lake only gets 3, if that.

Great resort-style cabin for “glamping!”

Well-appointed, semi-rustic cabins set in Catoctin Mountain. Not far from the Wm. Houck lake area and trailhead to Cunningham Falls.

Our cabin came equipped with A/C and heat, full kitchenette, fireplace, screened in porch, and firepit area (including wood and fire starters!) with seating and picnic table.

Ole Mink Farm is very resort-like with a central pool and clubhouse. They also offer various activities — mainly on weekends — like cornhole tournaments and campfire gatherings.

And I can’t say enough about the customer service!! They take hospitality to whole new levels! We ran into a couple personal snags on our trip, and they were so accommodating. Even when my Mom got sick, they checked in on us and asked about her by name. What a wonderful group of owners!

If you want to “glamp,” I would HIGHLY recommend this place!

Biggest dump I have visited

We have been full timing since June 17, 2019. I have stayed at 13 sites since then and this by far is the absolute most disgusting site I have ever visited. We were in and out in less than an hour.

The sites were run down, filthy, old mats on the ground, picnic tables so bad and warped that you couldn’t eat on them and the fire pit was full of stuff! Other words the site was not cleaned after the previous people left!

When I went up to office to get a credit back they acted so rude and still charged us a cancellation fee!

This is our “home base”

Love love love this campground. Activities for the kids, diner with a great breakfast selection and subs and pizza for dinner. Very clean facilities. Great staff. Delivery of wood or ice to your site. You can get a site along the creek where you can tube or kayak (they rent them out here)! Close to Antitiem battlefield, vineyards, antiques or even DC (1 hour). At Halloween they have a great haunted house.

Amaaaazing

Great campground and staff! Staff even came and opened up the firewood for me after their 7pm cut off when I called the “emergency” number. Always quiet and peaceful. Third time staying there!

Great Time

Even with the pavilion out of commission, my son and I had a great time! Very clean, great bath houses. Nice staff and everything you need right there!

Close to history and so much to do, family oriented

Campground has so many activities for active families. Pool,  swing sets, hosted events and theme nights and weekends. Sites are large enough for 2 tents, many Rv and seasonal rentals one main bath house and very clean potable potties scattered throughout the area. Small creek runs at the end of the grounds.. Very close to so much history, close to downtown Gettysburg with sight seeing tours offered for the battlefields, shopping and dining close by.

Perfect Family Camping

Nice campground. Very clean facilities. We typically stay in the primitive tent loop which is right on the lake. It can get a little busy on the weekends since there is a boat lauch at the end of the primitive lane, but some of the sites are secluded/set back enough to be private.

You can bring your own boat (gas allowed) or rent one from their marina. There is no swimming allowed in the lake but there is a pool located at the park, there is no extra cost to use the pool if you are at the campground. There are also a lot of trails available for hiking, biking, or riding horses.

This park has a lot that you can do or just relax by the fire. Perfect for families.

So much space

I stayed at Cuningham Falls State Park a few weeks ago and the campground was very good with lots to do hikes, swimming etc. But last night I stayed at same state forest but 4 miles away the Cunningham Falls State Park Manor Area.  I haven't seen this much space between campsites in a long time.  The place was clean, paved roads, great price and very quiet.  If you have kids or like to talk to other people go to the original campground but if you perfer quiet and your own little piece of the woods go to the Manor Area.  It was August 1st and the bugs were minimal and there is a visitor station and aviary but I wasn't able to see them.

Close to Antietam Battlefield and a Winery!

Went to this state park early July for 3 nights. We had a terrible storm going on when we were to arrive so I called and the office was very friendly and helpful. He put my mind at ease about arriving too late. Our site was relatively easy to get into but many sites were angled, sloped, and looked like they'd be best for a tent. Our site was private and kind of faced away from most other sites. There was a hiking trail behind us that led to the lake. The park has a lake with a swimming area roped off and guarded and camp store and marina where you can rent kayaks and canoes. While hilly, it would be a great bike riding area if you want a work out. Bathhouse was adequate, Not particularly dirty but not super clean. Only 2 showers in the ladies room. Campground hosts were around every day and super helpful. t was close to Antietam Battlefield and Antietam Creek Winery which had live music and allowed our dog to come in. There were some live reenactors at the battlefield and a great car audio tour you can get from the visitor center. I would go again!

Tall hickory and gum trees, birds, butterflies and squirrels.

Angled pull-thru paved sites makes setting up easier. Nice pool about half shaded in the morning. Friendly staff.

Peace and quiet!

This is a great campground! It is about a mile hike-in. They have wheelbarrows you can borrow to help bring in your stuff from the car. There are pit toilets and non potable water available as well as firewood when you get to the campground. The campsites are pretty secluded and spaced out so you have some privacy. It is so peaceful and quiet! Lots of great hiking to do in the area. When we were there they were having a historical reenactment near the visitors center that was so cool! We came in August and it was super hot, but that is just Virginia. Lots of friendly staff and campers there.

Good for kids

Nice spot with plenty to do with a little one. Train, carousel, fishing.

Very nice staff and clean facilities. Water park is great.

Always a great time

Have been going here since 2001. Always and enjoyable time and my kids have grown up but they still enjoy going.

Wonderful AT thru hiker stop

Our family stayed at this cabin on a camping/driving trip down Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We were driving a long way that day and wanted to stay in something that was not as rustic as car camping and not as fancy as a cheap motel room. This spot fit the bill perfectly. The owners were super flexible about us getting in after dark and let us rent out the entire space, which included a kitchen, sitting room and upstairs bunk room which could hold 6 people. We were also allowed to bring our dog. They had food in the freezer like pizza and other stuff for sale. There are a ton of resources on the AT in the cabin. We also met some hikers on their way to Maine as the trail is only 150 yds away.

There is a fancier B&B Victorian house on the property that has been restored and also reasonably priced. While we were there we saw that they were fixing up more areas of the house to accommodate guests and the renovations are lovely and in keeping with the history of the main house.

The little cabin where we stayed was perfectly charming and set us up to camp our way down through Shenandoah NP and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We were able to dry out our gear from previous night's rain and relax. Highly recommended for a glamping stop .

Perfect!

Perfect site for the family or if you just want to be out for the night. The hike to the falls is not too far and the lake is nearby too. Really close to Route 15 so you can grab everything you need on the way or run out really quick if you forgot something!

Clean

Tight spots but very big and clean park. Great for camping if u want to go into Washington DC.

Very clean and quiet

I have been here 2 times now it is normally members only but we did the tour and got free camping to stay here very clean and a lot to do

A mixed bag

The staff are very polite and helpful. The sites are shaded with mature trees. They have a pool, put put golf, a good general store, and a café/snack shack. The hookups are oddly spaced and you need to ensure you have extentions handy. My electric hookup didn't work on 30A. The bath house needs cleaning more regularly. If they invested a little bit on upkeep this would be an awesome place.

Actually a 10!!!

This is a campers dream site.  Everything you can think of is offered here.  You have to check their website to see all.  This is the closest site to Washington DC.  Great location with access to all forms of transportation.  Store fully stocked to include groceries.   Two pools. Hot tub.   Play areas to include a game room and miniature golf.  Pets are pampered here.  Even dog walking service available.

FREE, well-maintained, wooded, primitive sites.

Michaux State Forest campgrounds have vault toilets and the sites are well-maintained. I went in late fall and was the only camper at the area I stayed in. Unfortunately you cannot reserve sites online and it's a little tricky, but it's free…

Camping is free in several areas throughout Michaux State Forest (as well as other PA State Forests), BUT you usually need to have a camping permit (also free) and you can only stay in designated campsites. To obtain a permit, find out where the designated sites are, and/or find out what designated campsites are available, you have to contact the State Forest District Office for the forest you would like to camp in.

More info can be found here:

Great for families and variety

This park just is near enough to Baltimore and DC to allow for a quick getaway and offers a lot to do. There are trails in the park you can hike, run and bike; the lake is small but you can paddle and fish; and, nearby you'll find some great sections of the Appalachian Trail.

The camping spots accommodate large tents if needed and the showers are hot.

Be aware: no alcohol in Maryland parks.

Great first weekend in our new RV

We took our maiden voyage in April to this camp ground since it was close to home. We’ve tented camped and pop up camped here prior so we knew the area. Beautiful weather! Great camp ground! We walked all over, watched crew races on the lake, drove into Hanover where there were stores and went to the Utz chips outlet. Our site was great and there was only 2 other campers within sight. There’s a huge pool though not open at that time. There is a marina to rent boats and a disc golf course. A small store at the marina has some essentials. There’s a nice nature center as well. Bath house was decent. Great place to camp!

Great ficilities!

Clean campgrounds with the best shower/bathroom ficilities I have seen. We've been on the road for a week, and this was easily the most impressive. They also have a pool, which we didn't use, and was pretty close to some restaurants, if you aren't cooking on site. I highly recommend this place!

Beautiful campground with great location

Well this is day 5 of my trip to Washington DC.  Entire grounds are well manicured with plenty of room.  Nice stocked store with a friendly staff. Upon check in you are escorted to your site and oriented to all hookups etc.  lots of shade.  Sites fairly level.  Close to downtown areas with good shopping and ghost tours.  Today celebrates day 1 of the battlefield so many people are dressed in 1860s attire.  Site offers tours if desired.  Otherwise the battle field is only 5 miles away

Quaint clean Campground - Family Friendly

This is a great campground - quiet.  The stream around the perimeter was very nice.  We had a primitive site for tents, but wish we had gotten one with water and electricity.  There were portapotties that were clean when we got there, but they didn't dump out after the weekend.  We were right across from them, so we could smell them.   In laws stayed at a full RV site which was only a short walk for us to get to them.  Both sites were nice, but again, I wish we could have gotten a site with hookups closer to them to make the family camping experience more enjoyable.

The pool was quite refreshing, the store was nice, but quaint.  The mini golf was very very basic, but the fact that it was free made up for it.  It was about a five minute drive to the downtown area which was wonderful to walk around when we got there.  Also a couple of blocks from the battlefield which was really cool.  We had a couple of day drives to lancaster while we were there.

Because we left most days, it didn't bother us that they only had activities during the weekends.  That might be an issue for some.  We also brought our dog and they had special bins and supplies installed for poop bags.

One of the evenings, we had a large rainstorm and they filled in all the deep puddles and holes in the driving roads with crushed stone.  They are on top of that upkeep making it easier for those hauling campers to not have any surprises on their way out.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again.

Great for a quick trip

Nice and clean, not too terribly close to your neighbors. Awesome car camping spot with plenty of hiking trails.