Adamstown, MARYLAND
Most Recent Adamstown Camping Reviews
We Return Regularly

Love the surrounding area. The camp store is one of the best. We have attended Holloween event several years and it’s so much fun with decorating contests and trick or treating!

Great for Car Camping

We stayed in the Bear Branch Loop of the William Houch Camping Area.  This is a lovely area if you're a beginner camper or just looking for the glamping experience.  The sites are small and not very private but are well defined.  It's very clear where to park, set up the tent etc.  The park itself is very scenic with nice hiking trails and a lake to enjoy.  I was there in the fall so didn't go out on the water but can imagine it would be popular during the warmer months.

Hiking Lovers Retreat

Oak Ridge is our favorite local go-to campground.  This site meets all of our expectations with exceptionally clean bathrooms to boot.  It a short jaunt away with miles of hiking trails.  The sites are generously sized, wooded and private.  If you're going with a group there are also sites that connect.  C Loop is the most private with several sites being walk-in.  B Loop is mostly shaded and also the only loop with showers (my preference).  A Loop is first to come, first served whereas Loops B and C are reservation only. Firewood is available but they do not provide much so I recommend bringing what you need if you plan on having a fire for more than one night.  There are a few trailheads accessible from the camping loops but many you'll need to drive to.  Parking is limited but I've never had trouble finding a spot.  If you want a quick getaway without driving hours outside of the metro area this is your place!

Secluded and comfortable

Overview: we really enjoyed this private farm campground. We stayed at site 1 of two sites. Per their policies each sure can accommodate 12 campers. The fire pit area and port-a-potty were both very clean and you can tell that they are taken care of well. You are able to drive right up to the camp area and we kept our car right next to our tent. There are nearby chickens, geese and pigs.

Host: our friends arrived prior to us and were greeted by the host. They said he was friendly and explained everything well and even had firewood already set up at the store that has been purchased by the previous campers. I thought this was incredibly nice considering they didn't have to leave the wood there for us.

Site: the sites are both grassy, level and well maintained. Both are easy to get to, although I wouldn't recommend attempting to drive to either in a small car. Site 1 is closer to the house, animals, potty and other buildings on the property. The fire pit area is clean and is surrounded by trees. Site 2 is more isolated but is still pretty close in distance to the animals, home and structures. However it is separated by a line of trees and you are camping more in a field.  We choose site 1 die to its proximity to the bathroom and picnic tables because we were camping with small kids.

Bathroom: the bathroom is a port-a-potty and was cleaned right before our arrival. Several reviews I read mentioned that it was the cleanest port-a-potty they had ever seen and they were correct. It is surrounded by a privacy fence which was nice. It was relatively close to the site and was stocked with plenty of toilet paper and included hand sanitizer.

PROS:

Secluded

You have the entire site to yourself

Two options for camping with bathroom nearby

Nice hiking trails with varying lengths, easy to hike even for a 3 year old

CONS:

If you are a light sleeper the geese, rooster or planes may keep you awake

We did find a snake skin, but you are out in nature

The structures didn't give the best view, but you can always choose to face away from them or use site 2

Would definitely stay here again.

Woods and City

We stayed here for 3 nights at a back in with w/e. We enjoyed sitting around the campfire at night and walking the dogs down to the water. We were right next to a hiking trail that went down to the water and a beach area. We were working in Arlington/DC only a 25 min drive away and it was nice to come home to some nature.

Great Campground

This is our second time to this campground and our first in a new RV. Campground is very close to the Baltimore beltway and basically in a neighborhood but you feel like you are farther from things. Bathroom is clean and camp hosts are very friendly. Campsites are fairly close together but not right on top of each other. Lots of good hiking trails can be accessed from the campsite as well as a nice playground for the kids. One drawback is that the spot to check in is a little tricky to find and not very well marked. Overall we had a great visit and will be back.

Beautiful and cozy

It rained most of the weekend, but we still had a blast! The trail to the lake is accessible but far enough that you avoid the high day use traffic. The campsites have trees and some privacy.

Great place!!!

Really loved this campground! Had a blast with my family here on a family reunion trip. Here are a few things I loved about this place:

1. Hiking- some gorgeous hikes nearby!! The views are amazing, and the trails are in great condition. My pup loved these hikes, too!

2. Campsite is clean! Nothing makes me happier than a clean campsite. There are dumpsters where you can dump your trash which I think helps a ton! There is also a picnic table and fire ring. We enjoyed making s’mores at night and sitting around the campsite! Also the campsite spots are well separated. We didn’t feel like we were right on top of each other.

3. Biking trail- we brought our mountain bikes and enjoyed some great biking with the family and dog!

4. Road was great to the campsite. We have been to a few campgrounds where the road leading to the place is horrible and needs high clearance. This wasn’t the case.

If you go during the summer, definitely bring bug spray. We had some and used the whole bottle because the mosquitos were so bad!!

Perfectly awesome

We stayed here May 1st, one night, it was a weekday night so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. I start my review with that because we have heard this place can get very busy. They said it has long already been completely (180 sites!) booked for Memorial Day. That being said, we tent camped, it cost about $25. We bought three bags of their kiln dried wood which made for a wonderful and easy fire ($15), the tent sites were perfectly flat with crushed gravel and fire rings. The place was CLEAN as heck, the bathroom/shower were so clean it was like it must have been built last week. I mean seriously in perfect condition, water was hot the sites are not on top of each other and each has its own designated parking area. The surrounding park is seriously gorgeous. You cannot go wrong here, we enjoyed every single second.

Expensive

Stopped here for a tent site. And the cost was almost $60 a night. They do offer discounts for some associations but I wasn’t a member of any.

Great Fall Destination

We camped here with a group of families in the fall. The drive into the park was beautiful and made us feel we were many miles away from civilization even though we weren’t. The camp sites are spread out nicely with clean facilities. The bathrooms were particularly well heated! We almost didn’t want to leave after brushing our teeth. We loved our fall visit when the forest was the spectrum of reds, oranges and browns.

Great campsite

This site is right along the Potomac River. The water pump connects with a well, and is treated with iodine. Plenty of space for tents, and has a fire ring. Trailside for easy access.

Quaint and inviting

We've been here a few times and only choose this campground. Everyone from the campers to the staff are inviting and friendly. Artillery Ridge is close to the battlefields and has all the fun of larger campgrounds. Our #1 place to go

Offers a great variety

Patapsco Valley offers 6 different entrances. Each one provides a several different trail heads and experiences. For camping or just spending a day out on the trail with the kids we prefer the Hilton entrance. There are two huge playgrounds and a youth campground as well as a family campground. The trails we have been on are all pretty moderate to hard but offer beautiful waterfalls and river views. This definitely is a park that takes a while to explore all of it. It cannot be done in a day. Which is nice. It's close enough to home that we can visit often and not get bored.

Great Family Spot!

Brought our 5 and 7 year old kids here on a Dad’s weekend. Camping sites are standard and well spaced out. Bathroom facilities were very clean and I’d say even better maintained than most. Kids love this place because of the other activities like laser tag and the cart track. I wondered why a camp site needs these things and the fact is they don’t. But when I ask which camp site my kids had the most fun at, they said Little Bennet because of the activities. We prefer hiking as a family and staying away from crowds and this camp site wasn’t crowded or felt busy. It’s a quick drive from NOVA but just far enough where you feel away from it all.

I don’t think they need to show movies at night. Live music or something more interactive like a bon fire would help elevate the experience.

Great way to get kids into camping

The Hilton entrance of Patapsco Valley Park is perfect for keeping the kids entertained. There is a huge playground, sensory trail and nature discovery center at the entrance to the park. The nature center was closed when we visited, but the kids still enjoyed the sensory trail and playground. It's the perfect little getaway from the city for camping, fishing and hiking. Be aware that neither the hiking trails or playground are stroller friendly.

Great campground and fishing

I went to Cordous State Park, outside of Hanover PA, with my 5 year old grandson. One night and two days, and we had a ball. I included lots of pictures in this review.

The lake has lots of game fish, as you can see by some of my pictures. There’s lots of places to fish from the shore, and boat rentals if you want to fish it deeper. The lake is overrun by white perch and shad. When you catch either, they want you to take them to eat, and not release them. We caught a stringer full, along with a nice small mouth bass that we released for another little angler to snag. I don’t think my grandson cared what kind of fish he caught. He had as much fun with the perch as the bass. He did say the bass was a real fighter, but he’s never caught a pike or walleye🙄.

Campgrounds are very nice. Not a lot of spaces for tents, but the ones they do have seem to be well shaded and quiet. Looks to me like 90% of their sites are set up for RV, and larger vehicles. They also have a few cabins, but I was told you have to reserve them far in advance. Showers and men’s rooms are nice. I can’t talk to the fairer sex side, since it was a trip for the boys.

Very kid friendly. They have playgrounds and other fun things for kids, including a huge pool with slide. You can’t swim in the lake. The pool opens when it gets warmer. Everything you need to fish or camp can be gotten in the park, but I brought everything we needed to save some money. They also have hiking trails, but I couldn’t do them since I’m ADA material. They do have lots of parking, with plenty of spaces for me and others that don’t walk so well.

If you want to eat a meal out, there’re a few places within 15 minutes, and a great family style place, called Friendly Farm, about 20 minutes south. Just in case you don’t want to cook👍.

It was my grandson’s first camping trip, and he’s hooked😁. I plan to take him up for a longer stay, and maybe do some day trip fishing there. I highly recommend this site. I’ll let you know if my rating changes when everyone else invades later this summer😖. For me it’s a short trip, so Tom and I can go there anytime. It’s open year round, but you got to leave at dusk.

Nice hiking. Connect to AT. Campground’s are well kept.

Lake area can be crowded on weekends, I tend to avoid.

Hike from visitor center to AT is steep and rocky

Wet muddy

Lot of stone being spread.. hope they plan on spread ing more

Perfect place to camp!!

This campground is fantastic! Great sites and clean facilities!! If you’re there around Columbus Day weekend, check out Colorfest in the town of Thurmont!!

Honeymoon July 1999

We chose to go camping here for our honeymoon. The campground offered a lot of hiking trails and swimming. Our campsite wasn't very well maintained as it had a lot of rocks throughout and didn't make for comfortable sleeping. The fire ring to use for the evening to sit at wasn't well kept and we were afraid a fire wouldn't stay well in the ring. We didn't use the amenities that were offered as we mainly used the campground as a place to rest our heads and breakfast as we were doing a lot of touring of Gettysburg.

Best Gettysburg Stay

We are local and love going to Granite Hill for our spring and fall trips. They have friendly staff members that help make your stay pleasant. We live the B section, but there are other great spots, too. Hands-down, this is the best campground in Gettysburg.

Avoid in summer!!

This place is packed with history, but amid going in summer.. it gets to busy and hot to see much.

Great park, easy hike.

Come prepared with all essentials

Great Place to stay

This was a great place to stay! Close t9 everything D.C. has to offer while being far enough away to be in the woods. We went during the fall, but the summer woukd be an ideal time to go so you can enjoy the water park and bay.

Nice family campground

Nice campground for families and couples. Clean restrooms. Camp store has everything you need. New pool and nice playgrounds. Rocking trolley to the Dairy Queen was great.

Great Kayaking

Roland Lake in Baltimore County is a great place to kayak on the Patapsco River. Tons of wildlife, facilities, and amenities for you and your family. The park was clean and it had knowledgable staff.

great place to stop on the AT

I only stopped here for a night while I was hiking the AT, but it was a welcome relief to get to a spot where I could wash off and have indoor plumbing for a night. The sites are nice, but seemed pretty close together. As far as campgrounds on the AT go, this is one of the nicer ones. The place also has fresh drinking water, another welcome site while on the AT.

All around great AT campground!

really cool place in an awesome town

Harper's Ferry is a little town in WV nestled right next to the Potomac River. It's also a convenient halfwayish point on the Appalachian Trail. One of my friends and I stayed here while we were section hiking the AT. The campground is pretty nice, with cabins, tent sites, and RV sites. It's also got a lot of extra activities that you can do. Zip lining, tubing, rafting the Potomac, and even an adventure park, you name it. You definitely won't be bored wile staying at this campground.

Harper's Ferry is a pretty neat place too. There are some great restaurants, cool shops, and make sure to make a stop at the AT Conservatory. There you can see cool pictures of all the people who have through hiked the AT and learn more about it.

Speaking of the AT, there are great hiking and biking trails right around Harper's Ferry. You can even say you hiked all the way to Virginia from West Virginia. Just don't tell anyone that Harper's Ferry is right on the border.