Equestrian
National Park Service
Bayside - Assateague National Seashore is located in Maryland
13 Reviews of Bayside - Assateague National Seashore
Great Fall Spot

As other reviewers have mentioned, this campground has more vegetation than its Seaside counterpart. This does lend itself to less of a breeze and more flying insects than you might find on the beach, which makes it a perfect spot in the colder fall and winter months. We stayed here when the low was around 17 degrees so we appreciated the natural protection.

We did have several interactions with one wild horse who did not seem to be bothered by us or our dog. The dog on the other hand was certainly bothered! Between the horse and the sand spurs in his feet he would probably rate this spot a lot lower.

While I wouldn't recommend staying here in the warmer and buggier months, it is a nice alternative in the should seasons when more protection may be warranted.

Bayside Camping

The campground was for the most part a great experience. We enjoyed bike riding around the island, catching glimpses of the wild ponies and running around on the beach while my husband enjoyed surfing. Where you can rent bikes was a perfect spot for our daughter to play in calmer water. The only thing that was bothersome was the amount of mosquitoes and ticks which are in abundance between May and November. If you want to avoid the swarm of ticks and mosquitoes we would advise to get a tent site or RV hookup on ocean side away from dense vegetation. Otherwise we loved it.

Bayside - Assategue National Park.

For hardcore campers!! I accidentally booked the bayside campsite vs the seaside campsite and we had a very tough time. We have been camping here on and off for the past 10 years on the Seaside and it is one of my favorite beach camp sites but stay away from the bayside campsite on the bayside.

The biggest problem for us was there was absolutely no breeze or wind on the bayside, The camping spots are in a wooded area so you do get plenty of shade but the trees block any wind blowing in from the ocean. No breeze or wind means dealing with tons of flying biting insects…constantly. And I mean lots and lots of horse flies.

And for some reason I think the wild horses are more active and more aggressive on the bayside vs when camping on the beach, just my personal experience. Our camp was raided every every night and day, even when we had horse proofed all our food and our campsite. I ended up storing all our food in our tents inside lockable bins.

Most of the people I saw camping on the bayside had RV, which is the only way I would come back to the bayside.

Read my other review for seaside assategue camping for some helpful tips.