Union, MAINE

Most Recent Union Camping Reviews
Nice and close to Boothbay Harbor

This is a nice place to visit. We had full hook ups. The sites are close together . We were camping with friends so this was bonus us. They provide a garbage can at each site. The laundry room was clean and and appears well maintained. They are close to the Railroad Museum so you can hear the train whistles during the day. We were close to the road so road noises were noticeable. The staff is very friendly. We visited on Indigenous Peoples weekend. The leaves were at their peak and the nights were crisp. We enjoyed our time very much.

Overpriced

This campground is overpriced for the location, amenities and condition of the sites. The lay of the land is sloped and they need to improve drainage of run off. The site was very wet with standing water making most of the site unusable. The post that the electrical box and water was hooked to was in standing water. The water hose coming out of the ground had a leak and was spurting out water. I was given a price and paid half at time of booking. Upon arriving at campground I was charged additional fees. When asking why I was being charged so much more than what I was originally told the explanation was I don't know. I had to push to get this info. It boiled down to that I had changed my reservation due to a conflict. At that time I was never advised of a price change so what a shock upon arrival. I pushed back I was told sorry it is what it is. I was a first time visitor to this campground and will not be returning.

Acadia

We stayed here 2 nights going to Acadia last summer. No issues, but can’t remember much about it.

Quick stay

Stayed here going to Acadia. Didn’t spend much time here. Did have a wheel bearing go out on the trailer, and some folks at the park were helpful in finding parts and offering tools.

Very nice campground for both small RV's and tents

Beautiful campground located on the water. Clean, hot showers ($1.00 for 5 minutes) a gathering place with free wi-fi, coffee and pastries for sale, kayaks for rent and many other amenities. Campers over 20 feet are not allowed. The sites are large however the terrain is difficult to navigate. There is NO dump station located at the campground however a few miles down the road, there is a campground that allows you to use theirs for a $20.00 fee.

Not my favorite

To be honest, I think $30 is a little much for a campground that doesn’t have much amenities. Also, there isn’t any privacy for the sites. We could see our neighbors in every direction from our site. It is close to some Acadia attractions and hikes, so this made it worth it.

Amazing spot!

This place was absolutely amazing! The campground is on the same land as an organic dairy farm! You get to be a part of the farm experience and see how a farm operates. We saw them milking the cows and feeding the other animals. There are also greenhouses and plants everywhere. A lot of the spots are right on the water, which is beautiful. There are trails to the shore along the campground. Showers and bathrooms were great!

Best place to stay to explore Bar Harbor & Acadia NP.

Very nice kept grounds, FHU, spacious sites. Friendly staff, and a great home for exploring the area. We stayed 2 weeks and wished it could have been longer.

Beautiful Scenery

We booked the Anchor site at Somes Sound View Campground and absolutely loved the Campground and the site. The site was waterfront - definitely worth the extra money, gorgeous views and plenty of space to spread out our two tents and food prep/cooking area. There isn’t a ton of privacy, as there are 2 other sites in the area, but plenty of trees to section off the sites. The Campground has a clean bathhouse, paddleboats and kayaks (for a fee), staff is very friendly. Definitely recommend this campground.

Great spot to camp and bike!

Great camping here!!! Campground host was wonderful and so considerate. The sites are a little close together but some are set back. Campground was not full when we stayed. Dog friendly, toilets, SHOWERS, and the most adorable communal outdoor covered kitchen that had a sink, microwave, free library, and donation boxes with beverages, snacks and veggies. All around great place to stay. Everything was so clean and the staff was more than friendly. We will be going back for sure!

Lots and LOTS of trails surrounding the campground. Great for biking and trail running.

Decent campground in a lovely area

Overall, this is a nice campground set in a slightly wooded area. It’s fairly close to the ocean, so you can hear waves crashing against the rocky cliffs if it’s quiet enough. The sites are decently spacious, and the campground is generally quiet. Privacy between sites is lacking here - there are some sites that have a little bit of privacy between neighboring sites, and some have none at all.

As for facilities– there are restrooms in the campground, but no shower houses. The shower house is located in a separate facility about a mile from the campground entrance. A bit inconvenient, but not terrible.. however, I will still never understand why a campground would go to the effort of plumbing in flush toilets and sinks, but not go the extra step and install showers, even cold outdoor ones. (Plus, the showers in the separate facility up the road are expensive.) Also, the restrooms in the campground are on ground level, and the two outer restroom stalls in each men's and women's room have windows in them that don't have privacy glass- someone walking by can see RIGHT in them. So unless you are fine with people potentially seeing you go to the bathroom, there are only 3 stalls available in each building, not 5. It's so weird, and a problem that Blackwoods has as well.

Final thoughts- I enjoyed my stay here, and would stay here again given the chance! But, the facilities could use improvement.

High end RV park with excellent amenities

11day trip to visit Maine ,Acadia National Park Campground nicely located close to park but away from much of the crowding

Awesome Location on the Coast of ME

We only stayed one night here but we loved the proximity to the village of Camden and the hiking trails near our site.

Can’t say enough!

Just spent a week here and we can not say enough good things about it. I’ll start with the staff. They were exceptional in every way. Very friendly, including the children who seemed to be working there, and very responsive to any questions we had. The facilities were immaculate. Cleanest and most well designed bathrooms of any campsite we’ve been to, and we’ve been to a lot. The sites are all very private and secluded and the quiet hours were well observed. Due to our late booking we ended up at site C44. I was a little worried I would be disappointed not being at one of the waterfront/water view site but once we arrived we soon realized that every site at this campground is special in its own way. With that said, we will try for one of the waterfront sites next year but don’t be disappointed if they are not available. Even though this campground is not directly in Acadia you are no more than a 15min drive to any of the sites in the park. We were able to explore the park by day and enjoy the campgrounds at night. Our only regret is that we didn’t have more time to spend at the campground. The kids loved crabbing of the floating dock and riding bikes around the campgrounds all day. Bikes are a must. If you’re planning a visit to Acadia (which is well worth a visit) make Mount Desert Campground your home base. You won’t be sorry. Oh I almost forgot the amazing local ice cream served nightly at the meeting place. Don’t miss it.

Great views, smallish sites

The water views are great from the Oceanside sites. There is plenty of thugs to do in the area.  July is VERY buggy! The staff are very friendly and accommodating.  Would definitely go again.

Very nice, quiet, clean park

This place is excellent! The staff are friendly, the park is quiet, clean, well maintained and spacious. If you are planning on staying around Bangor, this is the place!

Small and Quiet

We stayed here 8/24-8/26/2019 Nice small campground with the lake and lake side camping available No WiFi or cable hook up and sewer hooks are limited but we liked it

Best small campground I've been to in 18 years.

Clean,quiet,very well taken care of,great staff,very helpful,huge sites,absolutely loved this place!

Excellent place with lots of special details

I will say that my preferred camp site is one that is heavily wooded, where I can hardly see my neighbors and where I have some view of something impressively beautiful. I have a small camper and two young kids so on long camp trips I appreciate a place with RV hook-ups. This place may not offer a heavily wooded area where I can't see my neighbors but it makes up for it for everything else it offers. It's right on the ocean, it has gardens and secret nooks where you can sit and make a fire. It has a beautiful art studio. It has a play room and play ground that kept my children entertained for hours so I could read. The other campers were so pleasant that I had no issues with being close to them. I had the lobster dinner they offered and it was excellent. I will come back again.

Fantastic family camping!

We had so much fun at this campground. So many many things to do for kids. The swimming pool was awesome as well as the water slides. The fireworks on July 4th could match Disney World! Wonderful place to camp!

Quiet but a little rough

Bass Harbour Campground is on the “quiet” side of Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park. It is only a 10-15 minute walk to the Bass Harbour Lighthouse which is still a US Coast Guard facility.

When we were there this summer, the campsites were not mowed and weeds waist high surrounded our sit and there was a small swamp behind us. Thank goodness the Thermocells worked well.

The site does have a heated pool and decent showers and toilet facilities. There are sections for RV’s as well as tents, pop ups and trailers.

There is an island shuttle that comes and stops at the campground to take you to different places on the island including the National Park.

Southwest Harbour is the closest “town” and is quaint with some shopping, gas, food, etc.

Since it is on the quiet side of the island, nothing is close so prepare to drive 25-30 min to get anywhere.

However the park and island is absolutely beautiful. The rugged coastline is something to behold. Lots of trails to hike, along with the carriage trails which are kept immaculate.

Great place

Really nice campground. Friendly group of people.

Beautiful Campground

Very very great staff!! Upon arrival we checked in, in the office/store. Then a staff member lead us to our site. We have a 19 ft travel trailer and are not very experienced with backing it up. The staff member was incredible with his directions and helped me back it into a small lot that went down hill and around a corner. I could have hugged him. He was so great and patient with me. The lot was small but was right on the ocean. It was such a beautiful spot. This was the second time we have stayed here and I know we will be back!!

Family Fun!

Beaver Brook in Monmouth Maine is a must stay if you have kids from babies to teens. Our family has been going annually for the last five years. We meet up with a couple Moms and their children who we don’t get to see too often and make it a “girls and kids” trip and have a blast making memories and gives us moms a well deserved break. This year we opted for a small group site with a centrally located fire pit and spent our days in the lake, pool, or just hanging out while our kids (ranging from 8-12) rode their bikes, made friends at the playground or participated in the activities that the camp had to offer. Sites are all big with plenty of room between the sites for the perfect amount of privacy. Hook ups for water/electric/sewer but also tons of tent sites too. Staff is friendly and helpful, kids loved the big red and blue slides at the pool, restaurant, ice cream and store all in the same area.

For parents; live entertainment with local bands on Saturday nights, an adult only swim nightly. (Playground is close enough to the pool to actually enjoy this while listening to my kids play), candy bar bingo (where you can play bingo WITH your kids and was quite fun) and just a nice atmosphere all around between all the other families there.

Will definitely be back next year!

Nice park, but camping is an after thought...

The campground is right at Thomas Point Beach which was fantastic!  However, the sites were only average, no water hook ups, and the electric hook up required a 50 ft. extension cord to reach a pole.

Since it was not too crowded, we were able to find a site that gave us some room, but many sites were right on top of each other.  The bathrooms were less than average in upkeep and cleanliness.

We put our kayaks into the water right at the beach and had a nice float in the bay.  The campground is close to Topsham and Brunswick, which is where we needed to be for the weekend.

I would not recommend this campground as a destination by itself.

Honeymoon camping at Somes Sound View

My wife and I stayed at Somes Sound for 4 nights on our Maine honeymoon trip in July. We absolutely loved our stay. We set up at camp site 9. Incredible view of the sound/water. Our site was large enough for a 12 person tent with plenty of room for pop up canopy and other gear. We had electricity and water right at the site. The staff is very friendly and informative. The campground has a heated pool which was nice after hikes and being out all day. The grounds also have a small quarry with a paddle boat you can use for free! It's a older boat but was nice to have for a quick boat ride. The bathrooms were some of our favorite we have used, the toilets are separated into their own rooms for maximum privacy. Hot showers are $1 for 5 minuets and were separated into their own rooms as well. Very clean. The campground also offers yurt camping and water sites, which are extremely close to the water and beautiful. We went down to the water at night and sat on the dock, it was an amazing experience with the stars and sky so clear. Kayak rentals are located right at the campground which was so convenient, the views were insane! The campground is located outside of Bar Harbor and is on the quiet side which we enjoyed just as much as Bar Harbor and Acadia. Highly recommend this campground for a getaway or family trip!

Quiet & chilled.

After spending a couple of nights at the popular black woods campsite, we wanted to prolongue our stay at acadia, so we thought we would check out Seawall campsite which is the 2nd popular site in acadia. Seawall is located on the western part of the island and is at a much quieter location than blackwoods. Off the bat, soon as we arrived we were greeted by a ton of mosquitos, im talking like a whole village of em! Bug central it was! The campsite is definitely quieter and more secluded than blackwoods so it had that going for it. Also its only a 10 min walk to the breathtaking seaside. Absolutely gorgeous there and a must see. The campsite itself had no showers but had water and toilets. I just wished there weren't any bugs because you couldn't hang around outside. Definitely bring your bug repellant! Also there were loads of poison oak plants around so be careful. It was a nice campsite but i wouldn't stay there again due to the bug infestation.

Great spot!!

Friendly helpful owner, Lauri and mom, Carol. Nicelayout and design with water access and nice view. Oh, and a great outdoor shower.

Best we have found!

This place is not your typical campground much more special.

We are full time RV’rs and have stayed at lots of campgrounds but this place holds a special place in our hearts. The people working are the perfect compliment to a beautiful location. We have stayed a number of times and it is like seeing old friends when we return.

Nice hiking trails around the property that out dog just loves. Often there are artists and musicians at events or giving some kind of lessons. If your looking for a place to stay that is not like a national chain, you have found it! Enjoy!

Right on the water

Nice campground right on the water. The bathrooms were clean and the campground was well maintained. Our site wasn't raked before arrival and there were lots of leaves and debris on the site. We camped here in late May 2019 so maybe they were still working on cleaning up after the winter (wet spring). Its in a very convenient location to Acadia.