Sycamore Ford , INDIANA

Most Recent Sycamore Ford Camping Reviews
Great Campground

This is a great campground. We stayed at site 30, a modern site with water, electric and sewer. Sharing of water and electric between two sites, so come prepared with extensions for water and electric. Only sites are next to us. Woods behind and open grass and field in front of this site. Disc golf course is awesome, in the woods, up and down ravine. 18 holes plus practice basket. Hole 1 starts by primitive sites closer to beach. Ask for a disc golf map at gatehouse. Beach area is nice. We were the only people there the first 2 days. Mostly people at campground had boats for fishing . 3 playgrounds for kids.

Park is only 30 minutes from my house, but I love camping here

We visit this park often throughout the year to ride the nice paved bike trails and take pictures of the restored prairie and wildflowers.  We also take our first camping excursion of the season here to make sure the camper is good to go for the season.  The full hook up sites book up quickly, and the electric only often do as well, so book your weekend early.

The sites are all pretty spacious, with a gravel pad for your camper or tent.  The electric only sites lack shade, so bring an awning or canopy.  There is also only one comfort station, although it has never been packed even with a full campground.  Some of the sites are called buddy sites, and the gravel camping pads are close to each other, so consider that when booking.

The hiking and biking trails are all moderate, but again they are in the open and a sunny day can wear you out without a hat and water.

We love this park to visit and to stay, and will always recommend it!

Beautiful Little Camp

It use to be KOA New owners 2 year it is pet friendly But for there feet the Campsite is jacket rocks rough on the dog's paws and a little to close to the freeway But everything else was nice clean very friendly staff hot showers no breakfast

Prairie-style w half full hookups & half electric. Great for RVs & tents.

Not too far out of the way, this is Indiana's newest state park, if I'm not mistaken, and it shows. The lower loop is all full hookups with 50, 30, and 20 amp service and respectably woody. The back loop is more open grassland type camping, but it has electric at every location and water every 2-4 sites.

There's a big playground including a section for younger kids and the main area for 5-12 year olds. About a half mile outside of the campground is another, smaller, playground in the state park. And about a mile and a half outside of the campground back towards the entrance to the state park is a water park. The aquatic center was not open during my stay, but according to the web is open Memorial Day through Labor Day and is $5 per person (3 and under free). It's a VERY short car ride, a maybe 30 minute walk, or a reasonably short bike ride from the camp sites.

AT&T service at my site seemed to average 2 bars. Sometimes 1, sometimes 3. No wifi.

There's a primitive-style potty shack with 2 restrooms in between the two sections and a bathhouse in the center of the back loop. My wife said the hot water wasn't working (I would have docked them a half star for that, but The Dyrt only does full stars and we only stayed 2 nights), so you may just call and ask if they've had any complaints about it recently.

Firewood was available, but it was honor system and cost $5.35 cash only. I assume the price is set by the state, but exact change is rare for us so that was a mild annoyance.

My 'home' campsite.

I live about 30 minutes from Kickapoo SP and anytime I feel I need to camp I head over. Great little campground in Central Illinois. Some pretty trails overlooking, beside, and sometimes through water. The RV sites are great for either rv, van, or tent camping with a lot of level ground at most sites. There are some real diamonds of a campsite hidden here that you can basically be in the woods with clear ground for a level tent. I love this simple campground and have brought a handful of friends here who also enjoyed it.

older campground

Granted we arrived after some heavy rain (I guess), but it was tough to get around without walking thru mud.   Taking the dogs out for their business you came in with a filthy animal.    The sites were really tight and it was tough moving around the campground with a 41ft 5th wheel.    Saw other large rigs having difficulty getting into sites,

A Touch Crowded for My Tastes

A friend and I came here with her pop-up tent for a random weekend in 2020 when the weather was absolutely perfect for camping - in the 70s the entire trip.

We arrived and were shocked to see that our site was basically on top of our neighbor's and it was not flat at all. Luckily, we weren't tent camping or it would've been a disaster.

We did have some lake views, although we were in the middle of the road so we didn't have our own private space like other sites did. We were in the non-electric area, but did have modern restrooms.

The restrooms were kept very clean and smelled of bleach at all times (a good thing during COVID). There is also a hiking trail that goes near the lake that is very close to the campground, so good access point for hikers.

One thing to note is how close the sites are to each other, especially for those in the electric areas. It was as if it was a little city with how many people/campers/RVs/campers there were. I wasn't a fan.

Just beautiful!

One of the best state park campgrounds I've grown to love with beautiful views, hiking, and boating

Large tent sites - no cell service

Nice big campsite for our tents. Flush toilets; bathrooms could use some repairs. Fishing dock and area were clean with portable toilets. Walking trail. Safe area, well lit, and patrolled often. Pool & beach. We rented a pontoon boat which was very nice. Camp store for basic supplies. No cell service at all in camp area. Just a short driving distance to Cataract Falls - which is beautiful with a nice walking trail and covered bridge.