Mendocino National Forest, CALIFORNIA
Camping California Mendocino National Forest
Most Recent Mendocino National Forest Camping Reviews
A quiet Saturday at Clear Lake State Park

Why do people in state parks think everyone in the campground wants to hear their music. This is the second day of this! And they are old farts! I am done with best of the 80’s. I don’t know if I can wait til 10pm for rangers to enforce quiet time.

Awesome for families

Pros: Awesome, family and dog friendly campground. Be sure to checkout the hiking trails (fairly easy even with small children) as the redwood grove is pretty magical. Our whole experience was great. The junior ranger program and nightly events for families helped keep the kids engaged in the camping experience. Park rangers hosted guided hikes, nighttime stargazing (with telescopes), and nightly campfires. There are showers which is a plus for long stays. There are nearby stores on 128 for provisions (east - Lemmons Market; west - Navarro General Store) as well as several fruit stands.

Cons: There's quite a bit of poison oak, be aware of where you are walking. When we visited in late summer the river near the daily access area was somewhat dried up (flowing like a small creek) and had very little shade.

What could I say.

I mean We have been going to this campground for 21 years now, every year is a different experience, meaning the camp hosts, they can make it a great experience or not, besides that it’s a beautiful campground to stay, it has plenty of campground shade running water in bathrooms, has coin showers and dish washing station. The days are hot nights cool off enough to sleep comfortably. On a side note if your favorite spot reserve in February for the summer months.

Sandy camping

There are approximately 10 campsite with a few that will accommodate RV’s, it is a dry campground with portable toilets and one enclosed bathroom for wheelchair accessibility, there is no running water (dry camping) if you are looking for privacy this campground is not for you, each spot except maybe 3-4 spots, is about 20x20 side by side, but on the positive note it is very beautiful with the ocean and river within a stones throws distance

Ocean view and sounds

Family park, nice and quite. Tent sites to full hookups. Older park facilitys very old. Some sites have an ocean view everyone can listen to the waves at night.

Hidden gem

Got Lucky and got a spot without a reservation for a night, I was impressed. Awesome spot, beautiful area; lots of trees with a creek running through the campsites! Short walk to a beach that’s under a bridge. Restrooms are very clean with flushing toilets.

Gorgeous lakeside getaway

No better campsite for a long weekend of lake lounging and good camping good. The sites are BIG, and the ones that lead to the water give you best access to the lake. Super full this year after all the rain! Long, windy dirt road to get to the campground but not too difficult to traverse in any car. It’s first come first serve, but doesn’t get too full except on the weekend. We absolutely love coming here with the fam.

Beautiful grove of trees towering over camp

Peaceful forest to camp in. Came during the rainy season, had to build a shelter from trees to keep the fire from going out. Had the entire grounds to ourselves, winter is a great time for solitude. Definitely must return.

Perfect

Best campground in Fort Bragg. Perfect little spots next to the beach. One of my favorite things here is the nature walk that goes out to the look out points. Love coming here!

Cool spot

Cool little camping spot outside of Willits. Has a western themed town that hold little dances and ice cream parlor parties for kids. This KOA also has a mini waterpark as well. We camped in a tent site and our number pole did have an outlet. Perfect place for glamping or kids!

Trashed

This site is for 4wheelers and dirt bikers-- in an OHV rec area. Broken glass everywhere. Vomit on our table. Bathrooms are gross, no tp, blood, and who knows what else on the floor. Trash is overflowing.

Perfect

We stayed one night and lived the site and area surrounding. There were so many beautiful sounding birds in the canopy above and our site was surrounded by redwoods and douglas firs. I wanted to stay longer! Needless to say, I'll be back! I think this is my new favorite place. It was a little noisy at times but that's because it's fourth of July weekend and the site next to us had two families having a great time together. I was worried they might keep me up all night but they were respectful of quite hours which was nice. Pets are allowed which I also love. Next time I am bringing my pupper!

Amazing camping right on the lake

Luckily we were the only ones there as the camp sites are pretty close. Definitely worth the trip!

great for family

the times weve stayed her have been pretty fun. there is a lot to do for small kids. the disc golf course offers beautiful views when on top of the course, but watch out for poison oak! my chief complaint was the raising of prices a few years ago to an absurd amount for camping. pretty nice if you can afford it.

Amazing State Park

MacKerricher was absolutely amazing. I went with my best friend and had a blast! The beach was gorgeous and spent most of our time exploring the area. One thing that did suck was that there was a raccoon in the bushes near our campsite that popped out at us both nights as well as stared from the bushes. Scary.

Other than that we had a lot of fun!

Beautiful drive up the 175

Great time to come here except for the mosquitoes. We’re listening to the bullfrogs singing and wondering why they don’t eat all of the mosquitoes. We’re here for 2 nights (drycamping) and then continue our journey to Alaska 100 miles at a time. (or less)

Pretty but no Signal

Zero cell service in the campground. There's WiFi in the laundry room that works pretty well. The campground is pretty and backs up to a little Creek. About 15 minutes drive outside of Willets.

Clean

Rules are well regulated. Great prices and lake access. With pool

Large campground

Nice clean campgrounds large lake is nice boating is good fishing is good beach is great

Clean quiet close to the ocean peaceful lots of amazing things to see and do

Oh heaven or peaceful tranquility

Middle creek campground was as close as we could find to free camping in Upper Lake CA. At the time of our visit 90% of the Mendocino National Forest was closed as a result of fires the past year as well as landslides due to rains.this is normally a ohv area but since all trails are closed it is quiet and peaceful.you can hear the creek running along the camp, as well as the wild turkeys . There must be over 15 different species of birds as well. Each campsite has a picnic table , fire pit as well as a bbq grill. They do have vault toilets and running water. It was $8.00 a nite but offered a discount with a America the beautiful pass

Lots of great sites. Peaceful and beautiful.

There are a TON of great sites here - with shade, without shade; flat, hilly; etc.. We camped there for the first time on opening weekend in April last year (2018). When we got there there were SO MANY PEOPLE. We were worried that there wouldn't be any spots left! And even if there were, they wouldn't be good spots.

But, no worries, there were plenty of sites spread around - it is a large reservoir. We found one that had shade, wasn't too sloped and wasn't even next to anyone else.

We are going again this year.

Beautiful forest

Drove for hours and stumbled upon this place very nice sites, huge redwoods, quiet and remote. Navarro store is close.

Closed or could not find

I drove this whole stretch of 128 and saw one private campground and one that looked like it was closed 10 years ago. No cell service. I kept driving till I found Hendy woods state park

Glass beach trip

Close proximity to glass beach and fort brag. Stayed here for one night had some mosquitos but nothing spray couldn’t stop. Was a bit rainy and overcast the whole night but still a really enjoyable trip. Bathrooms were clean

Has lots of great amenities for all ages to enjoy.

Large campground with many great options for activities. This park has lake access from a large sandy beach. Extensive nature trail system throughout the park. There is also a visitors center with many displays of the animals that are found within the park as well the cultural history.

Upper Loop is amazing...

In my opinion, the upper loop is a more legit campout setting. We loved the space and the trees. The reason why i wont give it 5 stars is the fact that, although the kiosk claimed the whole upper loop was booked after our first day, it was not true for the days we were staying. We were leaving the day this ginormous group was arriving so we were pretty disappointed that we couldnt have a site when clearly it was not occupied.

Another reason I wont give it 5 stars is because the website claimed they dont do reservations but the whole upper loop was reserved…? We were staying Mon-Thu and just wanted to lock it in. It was frustrating.

Other than that, the workers were friendly. They delivered firewood on a daily basis. We had a great time. It was super that the ocean was right across the street. I loved hearing the waves at night and seals in the morning!

i recommend it but its tricky/I need a better understanding of how to reserve ahead of time.

Off-Season Camping on Letts Lake

I visited this campground during the off-season. Therefore, there was no one else at the campground, but I have heard that this is a very popular place to camp during the summer months.

The campground does not offer very much privacy between sites, but is right on Letts Lake, offering great views. There is an easy trail that surrounds the lake, but the surrounding area offers a wide variety of hiking. There are also many trails for ATVs. The campground has two pit toilets as well. Each site has a table and a fire pit. The paved drives for each site are moderate in length.

During summer months the area gets fairly warm. During off-season camping, I experienced temperatures between 26-34 F. Although it was a chilly camping experience, it was one I won't soon forget!

Abalone Point - Hidden Gem - Amazing Views

There appears to be a couple of separate campgrounds… the one I camped at is called Abalone Point.  I was unsure if it was open because there was nobody around and an old road was falling into the ocean.  Primitive campground with no showers or camp host. There was a toilet (hole in the ground), a table, and water.  What you do get is peace and quiet and an amazing view of the ocean. Self payment and was $3 for hike and bike.