Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, CALIFORNIA

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest Camping Reviews
This is for getting away from the daily grudge.

The White River campgrounds offer fire pit areas and some have picnic tables. I have been there a few times. It's quite the drive from Las Vegas. The site that I like is the site that you have to drive through the stream. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IN A CAR,OR A LOW SUV. Trucks are fine to cross over. I guess I need to go up again since it has been awhile. Need to get more pictures from this beautiful place.

We turned around

We drove the 10 miles up the dirt road to these sites. The cows were the only grounds keepers. The main site across the creek from the one latrine we saw had too much water flowing through it to be able to drive over it.

Great for seeing stars!

The location was cool, remote and pretty quiet (only the sounds of other campers). I recommend getting there in daylight, we didn't and it was difficult to tell what was where as far as campsites. Facilities weren't great, but they were there.

Hidden Forest Trail

The trail to Hidden forest starts off at Dead Mans Canyon trail head in the Nevada Wildlife Refuge. The road to the trail head is rocky and warrants a high profile vehicle and spare tires, just in case of a flat. The trail itself is fairly rocky all the way to the cabin, but the scenery is amazing. There are 2 campsites, one about half way up to the cabin and then 2 at the cabin. There is water at the cabin but its really reserved for wildlife and the Creek bed should be used to filter your own. The cabin itself is really an amazing piece of history, built in the late 1800's by unknown. There are big horn sheep, mountain lions, lots of birds and reptiles to peek at if your quiet. (We were not as this was our first pack in/pack out trip). Plan to stay warm in the cabin if it's still cold at night, the wood stove works nicely. If you prefer the stars like us, dress warm or warm some rocks in the fire and wrap in a blanket in the tent. If you're looking for solitude this hike has it and its an amazing find right outside of Las Vegas.