Cool, CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Cool Camping Reviews
Beautiful river side park

I tent camped and loved it. Very quiet and beautiful scenery. A water faucet and picnic table at every campsite .

Best campsite to be at away from the city

This campsite is quiet and peaceful. The person who is in charge was very welcoming. I enjoyed my stayed there. The place was beautiful where you can just relax and listen to sound of the water flowing throughout the day. I highly recommended this place to anyone who has a small or big group.

Woodchuck is gone

I just drove by woodchuck campground and it is no longer open. Boulders have been placed in the entry way and trees have been dropped across the camp sites.

Beautiful camping grounds

I love this camp ground. Really nice lake always stocked with fish. Quiet at night and not rowdy during the day. Great place for family camping. They also have boat rentals.

It’s an RV park

Fairly run of the mill. A few tent spots that you have to reserve but mostly RVs, many of which seemed to have been there a while. A bit pricey at ~$70 a night. Facilities seemed fine - they have a pool/hot tub. Easy walk to the mall. There was zero social activity; everyone seemed to be in their RV all day and night.

Fantastic little spot

Definitely the best campground in the Auburn area, though only 5 walk-in spots. It’s right on the river with fishing and boating opportunities. Lots of hiking trails right from camp. The 3 mile road down is a bit treacherous (maybe don’t take your RV) but makes you feel ‘out there’. Highly recommended.

Dusty but pretty lake

The full hookup rv spots are gravel & very dusty. Whole park is actually. Spots are a little tight for my 37' 5th wheel but it worked out pretty good. Back end of my trailer hung over a big hill. You sit above the full timer rv spots & mostly look at trees. Good sunsets! Lake water level was super low at end of summer & lake is hard to access. Unless you got a boat. Saw deer & wild turkeys. This park is huge. Can drive around & find a good spot to access the lake & go swimming.

Decent spot for passing through

Gravel spots & pick nick tables. Only had 30amp service & the outlet moved around a bit. Had to prop up my plug with some blocks to keep it from moving or would lose power. Nice playground for kids. The trees around the grounds dropped a ton of sap in the morning. Gravel stuck to my shoes as i was walking around.

Awesome place

It was an awesome place to camp. It’s rough getting back there but it was well worth the trek back there!

Clean fun, great lake

One of our favorite Lakes

Great, quiet camping

Malakoff Diggins was a great place to visit. We went the weekend after labor day and the campground was 1/3 full. The campground was clean and quiet. Running water and flush toilets (no showers). We saw 6 bears in the park (none in the campground itself) so be sure to keep all food and smelly stuff in the bear lockers. Excellent hiking nearby and really cool history.

Tranquility

At the top of the Sierras, El Dorado national forest, tucked in away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Stunning views, and blue skies, campground is well maintained and accessible. Rvs and tent camping. Shallow lake that warms up a little for kayaking and swimming. Great family lake.

Awesome

The campground is located right next to the creek. I’ve caught a few trout out of it! Quiet area. Bears frequent the area so use the bear boxes and lock up your food! 25ish minutes from loon lake and the rubicon trail.

Nice find

To be honest our first impression of this place was not the greatest. The sites are fairly close together and there wasn’t a lot of tree coverage in most sites. We used 3 sites for a group (7, 9, 13) 9 and 13 are right across from each other so that worked out nice. 7 was in another loop but kind of backed up to us so it worked out ok. Trukee river runs right by the campground, however if you want to stay in the sites next to it you will have to hike your heat to your site. I believe they were sites 23 to 27. It’s not far but if you have a lot of gear it might be more trouble that it’s worth. The only real negative is that the campground is right off the highway and you get a lot road noise day/night. Overall we had a great trip and the camp host was very friendly! I would definitely recommend this place and we will probably be back.

One of my favorites getaways

This is right off HWY 49. Tent only. You park and walk to you camping which is with other camps right by. It's not too bad and if you get a group you can get your own little slice of the campground to yourself.

Toilets are pit toilets. So make sure you keep the door shut and lid down to help with the smell sometimes during busy week/ends. They are clean once a week and there are two dumpster that are picked up weekly too.

No camp host. So people are loud at times. But for the most part people are pretty good.

Bear boxes have been put in, in the last 4 years or so. During the bad drought the bears were losing for food. But really having had any issues since that year.

Also no cell service…. which I love.

The river is cold and refreshing. People pan for gold and some walk up the road to Jackson Hole to float down. About 5 mins up, pass a few houses on your right.

Check it out if your in the area.

Nice spots with warm lake

Definitely a gorgeous view all the way around! Lake was very warm and had a epic rope swing if you can find it. The camp spots were a good size and with fire pits and bench tables BUT there isn’t a road to actually drive around the spots, you have to park and walk all your stuff down to your spot. Kinda sucked to do that, but other than that it was great!

Beautiful, quiet, private

We arrived after dark and had no idea what was around us. We were so pleasantly surprised when the sun came up to find ourselves surrounded by trees and so close to the lake. Wish we could have stayed longer! A really ideal campsite for getting away.

Another wonderful stay

This was my second time staying and it was just as amazing as the last time we stayed. The showers and bathrooms are always clean. We arrived and there were no other people staying so it was quiet. Took a little hike around the trail, grinding rock and went to the free museum this time. You can’t beat $30 a night to stay at this place.

River nearby!

Really liked this campground. Very well maintained and on the Silver Fork of American River. Camp host was nice, but didn't recognize discount for US National Park Pass. $23/night.

Will return, but only with more people to split the bill.

Great Design

One thing my wife and I love about this campground is the creative design of the sites. They are close together but beautiful and create such a fun experience.

Absolutely stunning

There were 20 of us on a camping trip and this group site was amazing. We were all able to claim tent space and have extra places to hang out or cook meals. The bear bins were located great and even got to see a couple of them by our tents. The location of the campground is great and just a short drive or walk to Lake Tahoe. Over all best sleep on a picnic table I've had (it's a preference to tents)!

OMG

BEAUTIFUL!! Don’t bring to much down cause you have to carry it back up lol learned my lesson! 1/2 mile hikish downs and back to vehicle. Empty Mon-Wed the weekend got a little busy but wonderful still!!

We love it!

Excellent camping area, depending on time of year camp site may be within a few yards from the water. We bring our kayaks and paddle all day there are plenty of miles of lakeside to explore. The peninsula camping site is a bit longer drive but worth it!

Nice place next to river

This place is north east of Sacramento. Coloma resort is what some friends call "Glamping", but it's so much more than that. You can tent camp (it's covered sites for camping too), rent a cabin or RV camp. Great sites along the river too. One negative, is you have to book way ahead of time, but it's well worth it. You can pan for gold, relax, or bike, hike along the river, and kids can play along several playgrounds for kids of different ages. A large grass area great for games, and if you are up for it, rafting, kayaking and fishing in the cold American river. You can also learn some history about the discovery of gold and check out Sutter Mill!

Rustic. Huge. Nice

Clean and Rustic. WiFi is very very limited- drive to top of hill or lodge( very sporadic) Great Lake for swimming, fishing and small boats. Store on site. Clean swimming pool. Ideal for Tent or RV.

Nice place

Very nice campsite good staff beautiful place only down take is it’s very crowded they have there sites very close together so having dogs is a hassle at times..But overall great place to camp..

Beautiful but lots of drugs and desperate homelessness

Greeted with trash and cigarette butts littering the park. Spent 15 minutes picking up trash so campsite was decent. Homeless drug addicts resided in the next site over. Random people came at all times to park car while tenants ran out to car. Then car left quickly. That’s a drug deal.
Bags and trash littered their site. They rarely came out of their tents. Our last night homeless people came through our camp to rummage through the trash. They only left when we called the cops.
Random car yelled f*&$ you at my little boys. Horrible.
I only gave it one star for the physical beauty.

Quiet and beautiful camping

Stayed for two nights and it was so quiet. It’s the perfect campsite that allows campfires, has showers and restrooms, and has a hiking trail. There’s a nearby convenience store called the Dollar General if you need to grab a few last minute items. Highly recommend going to the Black Chasm Cavern nearby. It’s the perfect campsite, I will be visiting again soon!

Fun cabin rental

Some of my family has camped here in the past at one of the tent sites. We decided this time around to reserve one of their cabins. We stayed at the Diamond P cabin which has the best view of the lake within this group of cabins. You can walk to the lake (it’s about 100 yards) from this location. Though it does fill up fast (by 11am it was pretty full). They have a large portable toilet there for use. We spent our time at the pool which is near the flushable toilets and the ice cream parlor, restaurant, and camp store. The pool goes from 3.5’ ft to 5’ back to 3.5’ ft.

The cabin was great. Two bedrooms, each with twin bunk beds and a full bottom bunk and twin above. Small bathroom with shower, mini fridge, hot plates, microwave, and dishes. Dining table and futon in the living area. Nice wide front porch to sit on and enjoy the view, communal tables and bbq for all the cabins. This unit also had a swamp cooler to help manage the heat.

Check in is 4pm and check out is 11am. There is also a small game room with a pool table, a baseball field, paddle boats, and kayaks to rent.

The down side is how quickly the easiest access to the lake fills up. Everyone has to drive over from the tent RV site to access the water. There are other places you can drive and park to get to the water, but there it a drop off into the water from there vs a gradual walk in.

Bear Country

I didn’t see not 1 Beautiful area Nice place to fish.