Newport, ARKANSAS

Most Recent Newport Camping Reviews
Great Family Spot

I often distinguish in my reviews the places I find preferable for families and those I think are better for people with no kids. I didn’t think about this until I started camping with my 3 boys, all currently under 4. Greers Ferry Lake is one of those places. However, as I said in a review of “Heber Springs,” if I’m reviewing campgrounds here, it isn’t accurate to review “Greers Ferry Lake.” Instead, you would probably be camping at Devil’s Fork Rec Area, Dam Site Rec Area & Campground, Sugar Loaf Campground (in Higden, AR), or Cove Creek Rec Area & Campground (in Quitman, AR). I’ll review those separately; reviewing “Greers Ferry Lake” for prospective campers isn’t all that helpful, in my view.
Despite that, I’ll just say that I love the town of Heber Springs which is located on the Lake. It may be because I have so many memories in Heber from my time in college so I should drop that disclaimer. I also love Sugar Loaf; there’s some great hiking and views. As for Greers Ferry generally, the lake is north of the dam on the Little Red River. There is a ton to do on the lake from fishing, boating/skiing, swimming, etc and it’s a very, very clean lake. The Dam Site Marina has boat rentals, tackle, etc and it’s really nice. For anyone who likes to or is planning on doing a lot of water activities on their trip, the [area around Greers Ferry Lake] is definitely a great spot for anyone wanting to camp with a family due to the lake’s proximity to civilization (ie WalMart) if you need it, activities, amenities, and cleanliness. Plan a trip.

Beautiful All Year - Can’t Miss

I spent many years in Arkansas while completing my undergraduate and graduate degrees, and I frequently visit as I live in NE Oklahoma. Heber, as we called it, was only about 40 minutes from the university and it was a frequent hot spot for all of us in the spring and fall. It isn’t all that accurate to say “Heber” is the location for camping. Instead, Heber is a small community about 60 miles north of Little Rock on Greers Ferry Lake. The lake is NW of the Little Red River Dam, which is likewise NW of Sugar Loaf Mt (also a great place for hiking). There are several campgrounds all around the lake, but one of the most popular is the Dam Site Campground. I say that to say, since this is a site for campground reviews, any “review” of camping at Heber Springs isn’t accurate. Instead you want to look for reviews on the Dam Site Campground, the Narrows, Cove Creek or the Red River Trout Dock. Nevertheless, I have tons of memories at Heber and the way I describe it to people is this: it looks like God stepped on a mountain, leaving a huge foot print, then filled it with water. Since the lake “shore” is largely straight rock face, this is the best way I can describe it. The water is beautiful. There is tremendous fishing and floating just below the dam on the Red River. It’s absolutely worth a trip - hands down. It’s also a place where you could plan a week long trip. Plenty to do, see, eat, etc. If you care, I think it may be one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen in the fall. So to me, I’d go in the fall or late spring. Lastly, and my favorite, since there are cliffs everywhere around the lake, one of the favorite past times of students is to cliff jump. There are cliffs of various heights all around the lake, but there is one in particular that’s right at or just over 100 ft. It’s a right of passage at the university I attended. Fun times. Go; it won’t disappoint

Great family park in East AR!

We’ve camped at Village Creek State Park a number of times and we love it! It’s a family friendly park with ball fields, tennis courts, and a first-class golf course. We have tent camped, pop-up camped and RV camped here. We normally stay in the lower campground area which is a great spot for families due to all the green space. The upper campground area is much better for RVs given the access to sewer. There is a renovated playground in the upper campground area as well.

All sites are mostly level. There are a few at the back of the lower campground with steep inclines near the trailhead entries. There is also a creek that runs behind some of the campsites on the lower campground which could be a mosquito haven in warmer months.

This is a great family park! You will enjoy your time for sure!

Missing something...can’t quite put my finger on it

Oh yeah, it’s the lake. Apparently it was drained to repair the dam. Looks like and apocalyptic wasteland where the lake was. Walked out to the middle of it and some Perv was flying a drone over my head. Stayed at the tent campsite which was ok because no one else was there, but you can see the rv site and some dumb buildings and a big streetlight. With the amount of dogs barking it sounds like you are in a neighborhood. It was ok. I guess any state park is better than no state park.

Beautiful park

We enjoyed our stay here. Beautiful trees, hiking, 2 lakes for swimming, kayaking or fishing, tennis courts & golf course near by. Very clean and well taken care. Space between sites was great.

Nice place, not my cup of tea

Campsites were very nice but a little closely stacked. Very steep decline to the waters edge. No mosquitoes which is half a point itself.

One of my favorites

Great campground on the bank of the Little Red River; a cold water, world class trout fishery. Great bath, picnic and fishing access. USFWS trout hatchery on site. One of my favorite campgrounds. Shady and cool in the hot Arkansas summer and protected from the wind for a great camping trip.

Awesome Park.

Great park to visit. Has paddle boats, lake to fish, boat ramp to Black River, newly updated campgrounds with all the hookups, playground for the kiddos, plenty of trails. Staff is awesome and do well taking care of the park.

I could live here!

The location of this campground is incredible! So incredible, that I am trying to figure out a way to go every weekend! I am a river girl, so this is my heaven. The campground is broken up into different sections. The front sections A, B & C are closer to the river and have better river views. We stayed in section D. There is about 100 yards of trees between you and the river, so I doubt you get river views during the summer, but you can see the river during leaf off.

The bathrooms are older, but they were clean. Our site had electric and water hook ups. No sewer.

You can access the river and trout fish right from the campground. This is also a day use area, so the boat ramp and fishing pier are pretty busy during the day. The fish hatchery is also on site and is worth stopping by and spending a few minutes here (free).

The Collins Creek Trail is also accessible from the campground. No need to drive to the trailhead. Take the trail that starts where the bridge crosses from Section C to D closer to the back of the campground. It is worth the short hike. There was plenty of water flowing over the cascades during January, but I have been told that it is pretty dry during the Summer.

If you are wanting to eat a local dinner, I highly recommend checking out Lindsey's Resort that is near by. I believe the restaurant is only open on the weekends. We went on a Friday night and did not have too long of a wait. The food was excellent!

Salado Rest Area

6 primitive camping spots with picnic tables, grill and trash cans. The site has a men and women's restroom with flushing toilets and sinks and is handicap accessible. This is also the take out point from a 12 mile float from Camp Tahkodah, a 20 min. drive away.