About Navajo National Monument
National Monument
Navajo National Monument is located in Arizona
10 Reviews of Navajo National Monument
Awesome

Great place to stay, Breathe Taking Views, Dont Miss A Chance To Stay a Night or Two

Beautiful but no fire rings

In most senses, this camp ground is great. Sunset View offers a beautiful setting, a camper service sink, flushable toilets and drinkable water. The only downside for me is the no burning except charcoal and propane stovetops. No fire rings is a no-go for me.

Beautiful but no fire rings

FREE!

Small visitor center, water and restrooms, and three self-guided hiking trails. Beautiful area to explore.

Sunset View Campground is a very nice free campground that would typically cost at least $20 per day. During my stay, most of the campers arrived early evening and departed early morning so the campground was empty each day.

Stay limit is 7 days per year.

best kept secret in AZ

This is a fantastic campground, with water, facilities but not overrun with people, and it’s free! I stayed here on a lark a few years ago and we wound up staying two nights and visiting the Betatakin, which is a free ranger lead ruins tour. This time I went back to backpack into Keet Seal, which was amazing and the stay at NNM was a perfect way to start the trip.

Hidden Gem of Arizona!

First: it’s FREE! No cost to camp at this gorgeous national monument with facilities! When we visited in June, we were among a small crowd of campers. We have a tent and we were very comfortable under the Northern Arizona sky.

Great Campsite!

I camped here for a geology field trip with NAU. The following day we got a tour of the monument which was awesome! I loved the hike in and out. The campsite itself was scenic and quiet.

Oasis in the desert

Free pull in spots great for catching some zs while driving through. Beautiful landscaping and nice restrooms. Cowboy camped here on the way to Moab.

One of my favorite places, breathtaking views

This campground is beautiful, it’s up the mountain and I’m not sure how big of camper can get there, we pulled our 21ft and probably wouldn’t take anything bigger, the scenery is breathtaking and it’s very worth the drive!! A must see place, and the people at visitor center are so nice and informative.

My Favorite Southwest Campground

I visit this campground every year on my way to other areas of the Southwest. It is a beautiful high-desert site on a pinon-juniper-forested mesa top and is part of a national monument with two Pueblo III ruins set in the cliffs.

It really is two campgrounds within 1/4 mile, the Sunset View Campground with water and flush toilets, and the Canyon View Campground with composting toilets and no water on site. Both are quiet, well-tended sites with great views over the red-rock mesa. Sunset View tends to be more crowded, so, if you are looking for quiet and solitude, Canyon View may be your choice. At Sunset View, campers tend to congregate on the west side at sunset, which makes for a nice opportunity to socialize.

The monument offers twice-daily ranger-guided tours of Betatakin Ruin. It's about 3 miles round trip with a 500-foot loss and gain. Visitors should sign up ahead of time. Those who don't want to hike can see Betatakin from the cliff top on the opposite side of the canyon.

Fit hikers also can make the hike to distant Keet Seel ruin (8 miles one way), a beautiful cliff site. It may be possible to stay overnight at the ruin, depending on ranger availability. Check with the visitor center for current visitation policies for Keet Seel.

The monument has nice exhibits of typical Pueblo houses, implements and pots, an excellent short video and a large selection of books and videos. The park staff is local and knowledgeable. There are live demonstrations of Navajo weaving and painting by local artists (with the finished products for sale). The center's gift shop features well-chosen jewelry, rugs, pots and other art at reasonable prices.